Author Topic: Tough day  (Read 2060 times)

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
Tough day
« on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Got out on the ice, by myself this time... kinda wierd im used to fishing with someone else, anyway,  it was a picture perfect day: sunny 37 degrees now all that needs to happen is for the fishing to be hot and it was...........kinda.  There where gills in every hole as usual but ther were all WAY TOO SMALL :%$#!: :%$#!:.  The thing is that this lake usually produces consistantly good sized gills.  I didnt know where the big ones where.  I drilled about 15-20 holes in a 2 1/2 hour time span...nothing. Iwas in anywhere from 10fow-20fow (27 is the deepest)and i couldnt find em. I dont know maybe the big gills do something different in march.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
Re: Tough day
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Not to be an a@@ but did you try up higher in the column. I have found bigger gills hitting up high.JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:11 AM »
Not to be an a@@ but did you try up higher in the column. I have found bigger gills hitting up high.JMO
Tried everything.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:30 AM »
Many times the bigger fish are right there with the small ones they just plain refuse to bite or are hesitant and the the eager little ones snatch up the bait before they get to it. This makes for a tough bite. If ya have a camera or can sight fish ya can sometimes pull the bait away from the little ones and give the bigger ones a chance at it.

Usually I've found the bigger ones below the dinks when a school moves through  but this year I've noticed that most of the bigger fish are hanging on the top of the school also. Last few times out when marking a fish a few feet above the school I'd reel up expectling the usual Crappie only hook up with a nice gill. Always something new.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:33 AM »
if you found the small ones garentee you the bigger ones were there also, perhaps a little higher or lower in your column.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:29 PM »
did you change lures? sometimes a glow jig works better than anything else, if that doesn't work put one of the smaller gills on the hook

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.