Author Topic: Catching gills on a light bite  (Read 3978 times)

Offline runtfisher14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Catching gills on a light bite
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:58 PM »
How do you do it? It seems that if they aren't hammering my bait, it takes me forever to get one to take it. Any pointers?

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Catching gills on a light bite
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:30 PM »
Down size jig and bait first. You can catch big gills on small baits.
Then slowly move above them and see how far they will come up. As they move up they seem to get more aggressive in my experience. Some days they will rise up 5 feet other days 10 inches. The first couple will tell you how much you can go up before you hit the wall and they drop back down. Stop just under that height and hold it very steady between very light jigging action.

Unfortunately there are days when they just don't bite for anyone. Can't help much then but on slow days you can up the odds by going small and not jigging aggressively.

Tim

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:36 AM »
As mentioned before downsizing helps.Also lighten up your line, and use a spring bobber that'll help detecting very ligh bites you may miss.The fish will let you know what color and jigging they want.Like you said some days they're just slamming your bait.I always try to keep direct contact with my jig while jiggin , raise it up and let it fall on a tight line watch you line.If it coils in the hole before you jig drops to where you had it SET THE HOOK !!! the fish grabbed it on the way down.Which seems to happen to me most of the time.Or after you raise it hold it there slightly move the rod and you'll see your spring bobber move or your line coil up again SET THE HOOK !!! as the fish has come up to grab it.

Don't be afraid to keep changing up to try to find out what they want Good luck  :tipup:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:17 PM »
All good tips, to which I would add; fish a dead stick. I usually use a Schooley rod with a spring bobber. Generally I have two jigs on, spread a foot or so apart. Then jig another rod nearby. When they are really lazy, sometimes the dead stick will catch more nice fish the any of your favorite jigging styles. Also a Mr. Jigger is a good ace in the whole. Just don't get too far away. (like I usually do)

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Jig anywhere from 10-30 seconds, and then pause for a minute or two, you will be able to tell if a fish hits it while your jigging, because your spring bobber kind of hesitate. But during that minute or two pause watch your spring bobber closely because the fish will most likely hit it on the pause.

gillkiller
Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline tofishem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:59 AM »
How do you do it? It seems that if they aren't hammering my bait, it takes me forever to get one to take it. Any pointers?

Sensitive Spring Bobber!!!

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Had this trouble this past Sun. tried some ice jigs, with limited success, then tried a black 1/80 oz. hair jig tipped with 1 spike. Had to start it on the bottom, then start jigging it up real slow, and they would drill it.
Dont forget the Vex. though.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:18 PM »
in my lake we can't detect the bites until the rod starts going up and down all over the place while the fish tries to swim away

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Some good advice here. Thanks.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:33 PM »
I found my camera is a great tool on the light bite.  My last trip out, they were hitting the jig and the line it tip of the rod did not even move at all.  I just watched for my jig to disappear on the monitor and set the hook.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:38 AM »
i use 4 # yellow line and tie on a tippet of camo or fluro. when they bite light pay attention to your rodtip and your line. even when they bite light your line will do something either it quivers or slacks up. i use this line for bullheads because it glows off the lantern light. makes us old blind guys that wear glasses better fishermen imo.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:41 PM »
On my spinning rods I use good spring bobbers, 1 lb line, and tiny tungsten jigs.  If the gills are biting really light... and I'm not fishing in too deep of water... I'll put down the spinning rods and line watch using a noodle rod with an ice reel.  I use 2 lb hi vis gold line on the noodle rod with a super light jig.  It takes a little while to get used to it, but it is usually more effective, in part because it's easier for the fish to suck in your jig and they don't feel as much resistance.  You just have to learn hot to sense the bites.  I would use that method more often, except that it takes a lot longer to get your jig back down, and it's not as nice of a set up for fighting the fish.

Another important point... just because you've found some fish that are inactive doesn't mean that all the fish in the area are inactive.  Don't be afraid to move around a lot and drill some more holes, especially if you have a flasher.  The last time I was out I was fishing a network of ~50 holes.  I kept moving until I found some fish that were suspended, which, at that particular lake are almost always gonna be cooperative fish.  I'd pick off a fish or two before the school moved on, and then keep hole hopping until I marked some suspended fish.  I ended up with a really nice mess.  The people who sat on inactive fish all day waiting for them to turn on didn't do well at all.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.