Author Topic: finicky fish  (Read 1841 times)

Offline spearinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never trust a man who doesnt drink
finicky fish
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:52 PM »
i was sitting in my buddies spear shanty this morning and saw some monster gills and redears, would not bite.  i was using my normal setup that usually produces. small marmooska, plastic, and spike.  any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: finicky fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:30 PM »
If there are predators around that aren't in a feeding mood (yet) they won't feed and give the big guys any ideas

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:49 AM »
dont stop moving the jig they will hit it garuntee

Offline fenwick2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Try putting a 4 to 5 " piece of 1 or 2 lb test hanging down from a tear drop and add a TINY nymph fly . Bait it with one spike if they don't hit it without.  Almost always will entice them to hit.

Offline Ole Sam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2011, 07:19 PM »
I did a stomach check on a nice gill I caught today (one of only two all day).  He was STUFFED with small nymphs that he must have been eating off the bottom of the lake.  I'm surprised the little glutton even wanted the waxie I caught him on.  We marked a lot of fish today but few bites.  That the gills are eating loads of nymphs could explain it.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2011, 01:24 AM »
Try putting a 4 to 5 " piece of 1 or 2 lb test hanging down from a tear drop and add a TINY nymph fly . Bait it with one spike if they don't hit it without.  Almost always will entice them to hit.

Mind if I ask what type of nymph?

Thanks,
Matt

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:16 PM »
prince nymphs except the whit biots replace with krystal flash
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.