Author Topic: Auger size  (Read 7733 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger size
« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2015, 09:28 AM »
I run an 8" power and haven't had any issues. Every once in awhile in thicker ice it can be a bit difficult to coax a larger fish into the opening, and maybe only lost a couple of fish last season which weren't hooked very well. Even in a 10" they would have most likely lost the hook at the hole. If need be (planning a trip to Flaming Gorge for lakers) one could drill a double hole. I like the tapering the bottom solution as well.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #31 on: Oct 02, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Know a guy who broke his leg stepping in a 10" hole! Got a 8" power auger, fixen to get a 6" hand auger.
Looking forward to going up to the lakes up towards the glacial lakes a couple of times this next year!
Keep it safe! And can't wait!
JDL

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Not to bump the old auger thread again but I use a 6 or 8 Nils/Tanaka now.  Light weight and love it but I used to have a 10" Jiffy 30 that I toted around for 25 years despite the weight.  I went through once on the run (8" slush on top of the ice) and got the Ostrich Knee which is better than a Femur but it was a long trip off Granby that day even with a snow machine.

If I hook one that wont fit through an 8" hole I can live with it as long as neither of my knees bend backward again. 

Offline jonowen008

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 13, 2015, 03:38 PM »
I like to stick to 8inches for jigging and 10 inches for tip-ups, especially if you are aiming for large northerns. If going to perch and walleye, 8inches max since they generally do not like bright light.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 13, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Big holes for the optimists, small ones for the pessimists!!! :)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Big holes for the optimists, small ones for the pessimists!!! :)

Well said!

I run a 6" manual, and a 8" and 10" power. All depends on what you're doing-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline daliao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:54 PM »
8" should be fine, plus it'll be faster to drill and save on gas

Offline bigjigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:47 PM »
I also have never had a fish not fit thru a hole, but it would be nice to  slowly swim a jigging rap horizontally in a two foot hole. ;D A perfect hole for me would be an 8" hole that looked Saturn with the rings so you could swim jigs back and forth or have a slot to tuck your transducer in.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Got the 6" hand hand auger! Now just need some ice to use it on!

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline mtedd3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:39 AM »
As far as a 10" auger goes I think the times you accidentally step in the hole will far outnumber the times you struggle with getting your fish started in an 8" hole.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:58 AM »
As far as a 10" auger goes I think the times you accidentally step in the hole will far outnumber the times you struggle with getting your fish started in an 8" hole.
X2

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:37 PM »
I have never had a problem getting a fish up a 8" hole. Even the 40"+ pike I caught the other day came right through it. Plus I take my young kids with and having a big hole worries me.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:45 PM »
I have never had a problem getting a fish up a 8" hole. Even the 40"+ pike I caught the other day came right through it. Plus I take my young kids with and having a big hole worries me.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.

Offline BH ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:30 AM »

X3

I have an 8" Strikemaster Mag 2000 that I have had for years. Upgraded last year to a 10" Strikemaster Lazer Pro. The 10" hole is a little dangerous at times. I prefer the 8".

Offline jb1017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2015, 12:23 PM »
8" all the way.

Offline andrlimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:33 PM »
A 10" hole definitely isn't necessary but they are nice. I use an 8" hole will get 95% of the fish caught around here through it.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2015, 11:30 AM »
A 10" hole definitely isn't necessary but they are nice. I use an 8" hole will get 95% of the fish caught around here through it.
andrlimo, what are you fishing for that 5% of them won't fit through a 8 inch hole (big cats)? I helps if you put your location in your profile, if you are in Greenland and getting 300 lb sharks through the ice, a 10 inch won't be big enough...

Offline Sapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2015, 01:01 PM »
Always used 8 inch. No issues.

Offline JADWRENCH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2015, 08:41 PM »
I would start with 8" if it's your first gas auger. 8" is lighter and can cut holes faster. I only use 10" when it's ready cold because it takes the hole a lot longer to freeze closed. Holes freeze from the outer edge inward.

Offline Thomasjuno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 27, 2015, 08:14 PM »
The only reason you would need anything bigger than an 8 is if you caught a 30 pound laker on pactola

Offline BigTen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Funny how small an 8" hole looks after using a 10".  But an 8" is sufficient.

Offline frabilleyez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Never had a problem with an 8"

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #52 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:19 AM »
I like a 10" for the reason that I can leave my transducer in the hole for the most part and not get tangled on it while landing a fish. a 8" you can get by but once you fish a 10 its hard to go down in size.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Had a 10" Jiffy and used it for years was nice, but HEAVY,,, Was hard to lug around,,, In the shack big hole and things that drop on floor was down the hole including fish,,, Again worked fine,,, Went to 8 inch Jiffy Propane and love it,,, Like someone said a 10 inch was nice and going to a 8 inch is an adjustment but like it yes you can pull up a 36 inch Northern through it,,,
majic

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:02 PM »
once you fish a 10 its hard to go down in size.

I've had a 10" for years, and still use it on occassion when I'm ONLY pike fishing.  However, I purchased a 6" last year to make things faster when searching for perch.  I didn't find it 'hard to go down in size' at all...  Different auger sizes for different purposes. 

My reasoning for 6" for perch was speed.  10" auger takes too long to drill through 10"+ of ice.  A 10" has to cut 78sq inches each pass, whereas a 6" only has to cut 28sq inches.  So my 6" auger gets through the ice 2.78 times faster than my 10" auger.  It speeds things up quite a bit when searching for roaming schools of perch.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:10 PM »
i use a custom made 13 inch drill---i only catch 30 lb pike---42lb is my best----i dont fish for perch---

Offline Piking Icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:46 PM »
I've had a 10" for years, and still use it on occassion when I'm ONLY pike fishing.  However, I purchased a 6" last year to make things faster when searching for perch.  I didn't find it 'hard to go down in size' at all...  Different auger sizes for different purposes. 

My reasoning for 6" for perch was speed.  10" auger takes too long to drill through 10"+ of ice.  A 10" has to cut 78sq inches each pass, whereas a 6" only has to cut 28sq inches.  So my 6" auger gets through the ice 2.78 times faster than my 10" auger.  It speeds things up quite a bit when searching for roaming schools of perch.

Totally agree........I have an 8" Jiffy but not much need for it expect for large pike.  Have not had much of a problem bringing a large pike through that but mostly use a 6" auger for perch and other smaller fish in the Hills.  Had no problem bringing 20"+ walleye through a 6" hole though.  It all depends on what you are fishing for.  If it's strictly Pike, then 8-10" is probably necessary but otherwise, a 6" bit on the end of a cordless drill is awesome for the reasons camo (and others) gave (speed and weight)!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Fish Fear me.....

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:21 PM »
I prefer fishing thru the 10 but if you do a bunch of drilling, that bigger size can really wear you down. It's heavier and takes more effort, especially when you are drilling thick ice.

I sometimes drill a bunch of holes in a day so I stick with the 8.

The only time I've had trouble pulling fish thru an 8" were large (20lb) catfish. You have to get your arm wet but you can drag em thru...

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:25 PM »
Lots of same stories, and i didn't read the first few! I've alway had an 8", and only trouble I've had was bluegill believe it or not. I always wondered why some guys drilled "double holes", and believe me you'll have a tough time getting a 2 1/2 or bigger gill through an 8" hole. Realize that doesn't happen much, but you'll be fairly upset if it happens, and it gets to stay home because of hole size. I drilled double holes for a few years, thinking it'd happen to me again, but never has. So there you go! decisions, decisions, decisions.
Herm Krepel

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Pretty funny Ranger! If you're that bored though, you could drive 5 - 6 hours to Nebraska, and jump in with us next Thursday. I'm going to 57 and my buddy with us is 59, so you fit right in..
Herm Krepel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.