Author Topic: Auger size  (Read 7734 times)

Offline jeffrey.frink

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger size
« on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Will an 8" auger be large enough for South Dakota or should I get a 10"?

thanks

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger size
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Have only used a 8 inch for years here.  Works for me anyways.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Rare that an 8" wont be big enough to land a fish.  I have pulled a 38 and 39 inch northern through eight inch holes.  My dad used to be and avid walleye guy back in the good old days.  He routinely caught big walleyes.  He mentioned ONE time not being able to get a walleye through an 8" hole.  Says it was the biggest walleye he and his buddies had ever seen. I am guessing a tear may have rolled down his face when he realized it was a lost cause.

On auger size note, I have been disappointed to see all buy jiffy have discontinued 9" augers.  That are the perfect size in my opinion.  I find 10" way too big.  Buddy has a 9" eskimo he bought years ago.  I love this size of hole.  I am guessing not enough people were buying 9" augers so they did away with them.  If you ever used a 9" I think most would find it the perfect size as well.  Maybe they will make them again someday....

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I have pulled a 14.5 pound pike through my 8 inch auger hole.(Devil's Lake) Lately I have had back trouble and my awesome buddy has been drilling all my holes with his 10 inch Eskimo. The thing I like about 10 inch is there's more room for the transducer. I haven't gotten hung up on it yet, but I've only been out twice. Both times I got perch limits and didn't have to pull out the x-ducer. Once my back is better I'll go back to my 8 inch Strikemaster 224 holes. I just love that auger. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Sometimes when I know I'll be on fish for a while I drill another 8 inch hole next to the one I'm fishing from and use the 2nd hole for my Vex x-ducer. That works pretty good. I have to be on 'em tho, cuz I'm not drilling 2 holes for every fishing hole.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:03 PM »
A big hole is nice. But not a must. I use an 8 inch and pull 11lb plus walleye from the great lakes. A 10 inch hole is much better for getting fish started. ( getting the nose in the hole)

Offline SaintAnkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:41 PM »
I fished with a 8" for years and never had an issue except for having to pull out the ice-ducer from the hole for larger fish.  With that said I bought a new auger three years ago and went with a 10".  The thing I can say is that you have enough room for the ice-ducer not to get in the way and if you are fishing in very cold weather you have freeze room.  If you have thee money and don't care about the extra weight I would say go with a ten.  Worst case scenario you buy an 8" auger to attach when you are in an area that weight is an issue.

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:49 PM »
There will be very few times in your life where you would need more than an 8".  I have a 9" myself and find it to be way bigger than needed most of the time.  They also allow you to step into the hole if your not careful.  Don't ask how I know.  Unless you specifically target big pike, an 8 is adequate.  Just my 2 cents.
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:58 PM »
A big hole is nice. But not a must. I use an 8 inch and pull 11lb plus walleye from the great lakes. A 10 inch hole is much better for getting fish started. ( getting the nose in the hole)
I agree !!!!

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:03 AM »
I've only had one occurrence where I couldn't get a game fish up a 8" hole and that was sunday night on a huge northern.  I've caught some 36-40" pike on lake of the woods that we've got up through an 8" hole so I don't even want to know how big this one was the other night.

I've cut the line a few times on carp or buffalo that there was no way they were going to fit through an 8" hole.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Had a friend step into a larger hole which was slightly snowed over and invisible, lucky for him his groin stopped  the fall! Why anyone needed a hole that big on DeSmet is a mystery. I run an 8" power auger and a 6" hand auger.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Never had an instance where an 8" wasn't sufficient.  If I do though they're gonna get the gaff or boga and get horsed through the hole because they're coming home with me.  Unless its a fish I don't intend to eat. 

Offline caseySD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Never had a problem with an 8 inch hole either.  Started years ago with a 6 inch hand auger but splurged on a Jiffy 8" that i've been using now since 2000.

Offline SDbuckmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:38 PM »
If you ask me the bigger is better.

Offline dgesinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2014, 08:10 PM »
I started with an 8", then a 9" now I have a 10"  and I know not many fish actually get stuck in the smaller hole, but it is sure easier to get the heads turned up in a bigger hole, 8" and 9" almost always stay home now.

Offline crappie rig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Been using 8 inch auger for about 10 years now and haven't been disappointed. Once and a while fish will get tangled in the transducer

Offline dakotapig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2014, 03:56 AM »
8 has always been large enough for me, usually pull my transducer if i think its going to be a tight fit

Offline B00ZYtheCL0WN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Come along & have a ball fishing rods and alcohol.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I prefer 8".  I've never had a problem landing a fish through one.  Though I have had a problem with stepping in a 10" hole while taking down my flip-over shack...seems to be just big enough to get your foot all the way in....never a pleasant experience.

Offline Soclose2far

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:42 PM »
We recently got a 7'' strike master bit. I didn't think I'd be a fan but the hole is big enough to bring 35'' pike through, and burns through the ice really fast. Another plus is you don't have to worry about losing a kid through one of your holes.

Offline gandermtn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:50 PM »
I really like the 10" for pulling fish through, especially with the transducer in the hole, but it's a lot heavier to lug around and doesn't drill holes as fast as a smaller diameter auger.

Offline dbales10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:43 PM »
10 is nice, but 8 will be fine.

Offline kenny23jr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:04 AM »
for hand augers the smaller the better in my opinion. if im pan fishing i like 6"

Offline ChubbyDarter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:13 PM »
I had an 8, got a 10, now went back to 8 so my kid doesn't fall through.  :tipup:

Offline SDLipRip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:04 PM »
8 has always been plenty big for me

Offline Tyler883

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Can't a vexilar fall threw a 10" hole?  I have always fished with an 8" and never had a reason to go to a bigger hole... I suppose if your aafter giant northerns, muskies, or lake trout it might be needed, but I have never seen the need.

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:34 PM »

8 inch is the perfect size...for us.   If you are into large fish just taper the hole on the bottom side with a bar. Makes an inverted funnel works good.  :tipup:

Offline bird50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:50 PM »
I like the 8.  Had kids and a buddy all step through a 10 up to their hips before and it ends the trip pretty quick.

Offline Fishbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:53 PM »
10" is too big in my opinion

Offline IcedIn81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I've been using a 10 inch this winter and love it.  The only downside for me personally is that my 10" round "thermal" tip up will slip right through!  No kids, weight isn't a big deal yet, and I just try to be careful where I step.  Can't go wrong with an 8 or a 9, though.  Anything beats the hand auger!

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2015, 12:28 AM »
I run a six inch and punch a three hole group if I need a big one.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Sep 20, 2015, 10:01 PM »
I think the eight inch is safer, less chance of someone stepping into it and getting hurt.  Worse yet would be a kid falls through and is lost, I couldn't live with that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.