The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Inline reel vs. line twist  (Read 1926 times)

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Inline reel vs. line twist
« on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:51 AM »
I'm tired of battling line twist with spinning reels.  Before committing to an inline reel, I'd like some honest, objective input from those who use them.  I've researched older threads which are too subjective.  Therefore:  Will an inline eliminate line twist?  What are the pitfalls of these reels?  Finally, best choice for first time user without breaking the bank.

Offline Picking perch

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Inline reel vs. line twist
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2018, 09:27 AM »
I use both. It does hel with the line twist but it cannot stop it. I use a mix of jigs and spoons. So it is more the spoons that are causing it on my in lines. I have found the eagle claw in line is cheap and works well. The magnum eagle claw is very big and heavy. I wouldn’t suggest that one. I do like the in line reels for pan fish, perch and crappies.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2018, 10:18 AM »
I believe that line curl is caused by a combination of twisting the line from the spinning reel as well as lure action (turning/spinning).  After a hard day on the water, lines become a curled mess.  I suspect that inline reels may reduce the twist caused by a spinning reel but I'm not convinced that the lures action/twist is reduced with a straight spool.  I'd like to overcome both reel and lure twists/curls.  Any experience and possible solutions are welcomed for this thread.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Use 2 swivels.  The first about 18" above your bait or lure.  The next about 6" above the first one, towards the reel.  No more tangles.  I use a couple of jigs that do circles in the water when jigging and this works on my spinning reels.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Use 2 swivels.

A swivel definitely helps although I’m not sure I follow the logic of how two would accomplish more than one.

I gave in-lines a shot but don’t find them useful in the deeper water we’re often forced to fish out here.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Use a swivel if your worried about.  All I use is spinning reels and twist, if it become prevalent is easy to get out. Adding the hassle of a reel (in line) that has a junk drag and inherent other issues isnt worth the misery.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Just changed line on 3 of my reels, came in and read the posts.  Tried swivels in the past but curl is still an issue by constantly twisting line as you reel up.  I may purchase an inline with a drag, then add a swivel if my lure causes additional curl.  I typically use 6lb. test fluorocarbon which shouldn't be an issue.  If that doesn't work . . . well 4th & forty, time to punt.

oldschoolben

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:35 PM »
I use spinning reels as well as bait casters, no issue with line twist with the bait casters  ,but If using small jigs I have ro peel off the line,

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Anyone have the 3 Descent inline reel or Clam Genz?  Wondering how they perform.  #3 Descent includes a star drag and costs about $35.  Also the Clam Genz looks ok but no drag system from what I can tell.   

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Anyone have the 3 Descent inline reel or Clam Genz?  Wondering how they perform.  #3 Descent includes a star drag and costs about $35.  Also the Clam Genz looks ok but no drag system from what I can tell.   

I just got the 13 decent reel and so far I have had no complaints. the free fall option works fairly well, just have to control the speed of the reel so there is no backlashing.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:15 PM »
What about the star drag? 

Mizayikaa

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:32 PM »
I bought one towards the end of last season and only got to use it once. I was in a heated shack and thought that I was really going to like it. I just got back from fishing out in the elements below zero and windy. I spent what I consider too much time messing with it. I know nothing works right when its that cold but I fished with my spinning reels and I messed with my inline. I wont be buying another.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Miz: What brand & model did you buy? 

Mizayikaa

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Eagle claw. Without looking at it I can't tell you the model. It's no top dollar setup. It's the one you buy to play with and find out if you want to go this route or not and it did that for me. It certainly wont go in the trash. I will play with it more and who knows, maybe I will grow to like it. Like I said earlier I liked it last year when I was in a 60 degree shack and the holes weren't freezing over almost instantly.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Miz: Thanks for the clarification.  Reviews for the Eagle Claw were low compared to the #3 Descent & Clam models and that's why I asked.  They cost a little more but have higher reviews.  May be because they're ball bearing run.  I'll probably give the Descent a try and post my opinion.  Again thanks for the quick response.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Mine has 5 ball bearings. It is still a cheaper version though. I would assume that a higher quality reel would be just that and you may love it. I just think that it's not for me. I look forward to hearing back about what you get. Maybe it will persuade me to try again. Good luck.

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:34 PM »
 I use fly reels on some of my rods they work great

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Here's my take, yes they go along ways to reduce line twist, I put the line on the same way it comes off the spool and haven't had any problems,  cheaper inline reels in my opinion are worthless, haven't had one yet that functioned properly. once you get the drop rate set on a inline, they work flawless, but it takes some experimenting to get your fall rate the way you want it. what I do not like about the inline, I don't like using them outside of the shack if there's any wind, especially a cross wind, the line will seem to come off the side or get behind the spool and the inner case depending on how the wind hit's the reel and line. I also think the drag system on open face spinning reels are smoother. I use my open face (3 of them)for walleye, I have 4 inline for pan fish.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07:29 PM »
what I do not like about the inline, I don't like using them outside of the shack if there's any wind, especially a cross wind, the line will seem to come off the side or get behind the spool and the inner case depending on how the wind hit's the reel and line. I also think the drag system on open face spinning reels are smoother.

I learned a lot about this on my last trip. Also line drop is a constant change depending on jig size and how fast your hole is freezing over.

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:00 PM »
I have two of the cheaper Eagle Claw in-lines, they are my go to reels, this is my third season with them.  I keep the drop setting light and palm it with my heavier jigs.  The only issue I have had was yesterday was, operator error, when I hit the spool release as I set the hook.  Took a few minutes to straighten out the bird nest.
To help with the wind issue I sit with my back to the wind.
Whether I am using my in-lines or spinning reels I have a good ball bearing swivel between my braid main line and my mono leaders.

It is still personal preference, hopefully you can make the decision of what will do the best job for you.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:55 PM »
I grew up ice fishing with inline reels but I didn't know they were called that until I read this thread. I switched to spinning reels for ice fishing when I came back to the US to join the Marine Corps. I use a lot of braided kevlar type line now days so twist isn't something that I worry about for ice fishing pike but for perch if I have a jig that spins I use a swivel. Palming the reel to provide drag is what we always did but you have to hold the little lever at the same time because the reel works like a boat trailer winch so if the lever is down it only turns one way, line can't come back out so to play the fish you have to press the lever, palm the reel and wind it at the same time. For me the spinning rod setup is just easier than the rod/reel combos I grew up with.

Picture of a Finnish ice fishing rod/reel combo.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2018, 11:10 PM »
 I switched to spinning reels for ice fishing when I came back to the US to join the Marine Corps.

Semper Fi Devil Dog. 0331 here.

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Look into SPRO swivels, they make a 30lb swivel that is maybe 1/8" long a d very slim.  I use them on every setup as I only run spinning reels.  Everything from 2lb to 10lb and no twist issues, even when I run spoons.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Is the SPRO swivel commonly carried?  Not familiar with that brand although its been awhile since I've shopped for swivels.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Answered my own question.  Found them online.  I've got a few heavy versions but will investigate the 1/8" version.  Thanks

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2019, 11:07 AM »
Semper Fi Devil Dog. 0331 here.

Semper Fi!

0352 myself for my last 6 years, first 2 years I was in MCSF regiment stationed with Naval Activities UK. Infantry wise I was with WPNSco 2/1 CAAT teams so half my platoon was 31s and half was 52s.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Semper Fi brothers!  0351 here, 1976-1979.  One year Oki, two at the Stumps!  Sorry for hi-jacking the post, couldn't resist.

I made us our own thread so we can continue without completely derailing the inline discussion :)

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=364159

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.