Author Topic: Mr. Heater Turns Off  (Read 30295 times)

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr. Heater Turns Off
« on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:05 PM »
Hey,

So a few weeks ago I was out with a couple friends which seems like for the first and last time this year. We were all excited to use our new gear and quickly setup the Clam Base Camp shelter and started my Mr. Heater Portable Buddy which brought the tent to a nice temperature. It was about 7 degrees out and the damn thing just wouldn't stay on. I would light the pilot and hold it for about 30 seconds and the grid would turn red hot and it would heat for around 10 minutes then shut off. We had both vents up top open and at some points even one of the door so I doubt it was the low oxygen sensor tripping.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Also, can we run the heater safely inside with both doors zipped shut and just the two vents up top open?

Thanks for any replies!

Offline waterfowlah

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mr. Heater Turns Off
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Start it up outdoors and see if the same thing happens, Was the bottle frosting up? 
Team Grizzly. ICE 55. Hopped up JIFFY owner ported polished custom expansion chamber 36" in 2.5 seconds HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Is the base on level ground?  I think they have an anti-tip sensor. 
Prayin' for cold

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:23 PM »
They have a tipover, low oxygen and pilot out safety shut off. Mine goes out often. Never has it been the low O2 switch. It was either lightly kicked (tip over sensor) or the wind blows out the pilot.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Was there a draft? It doesn't take much to blow it out...could be the coupler...and it still could be a sensitive o2 sensor

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:39 PM »
If its starting and running for ten minutes I would check to make sure the bottle isnt frosting up too. Is it a big buddy or mr buddy? A big buddy on hi with one bottle frosts up and does what your talking about. If this is the case try two. Mine does that too.

Offline hap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:58 PM »
My Big Buddy did that to me last week end with two tanks, running on low. I opened both tank doors and aired out the portable, worked fine after that. Maybe due to the excessive moisture in the pop up and the heater sitting on the cold ice.

And yes, it is safe to run inside with both doors shut. Both Buddy and Big Buddy heaters have low oxygen safeties.

Offline hap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:06 PM »
BTW. when it happened it was the only time I didn't use my clam fan to blow the heat in the ceiling down. Maybe causes the regulators to freeze up? Speculation here. I'm going out again Sat. see if it happens again.

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Yeah the bottle had some frost about half-way up from the bottom, I am using the little 1lb cylinders for right now.

It is a Mr. Buddy which is the mid-range unit they offer.

I was running it on HIGH for around 10 minutes and then it would just shut off, how would I know if it is the low oxygen sensor?

I don't think that is the problem but I just want to make sure.

Offline fishinshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:42 PM »
sometimes when there are low temps and the heaters been out in it, the safety (pilot position) gets stiff from internal lube at the internal spring. things will light for awhile then go out. i have found removing fuel supply from heater and warming up the unit per wheeler exhaust or p/u heater has worked if i can get the l/p hooked back up befor everything gets cold again.

Offline fowlweather92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:45 PM »
if your tank is low on propane it wont have as much pressure making it shut off often. Try a full tank. if it was full try all the other stuff too ;D :tipup:

Offline CB22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:13 PM »
if your tank is low on propane it wont have as much pressure making it shut off often. Try a full tank. if it was full try all the other stuff too ;D :tipup:

X2  - I was confused by my Mr. Heater (No O2 Sensor) because I could tell the bottle wasn't empty but would only run for 5-10 minutes.  Put a new bottle on it and worked fine afterwards.

Offline hardwateryooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:21 PM »
If your cylinder is full and okay..It most likely is oil build up in the propane lines and fittings,I have seen this  happen more if used with a bulk cylinder  than a 1 pounder ..Mr heater suggests you use a in line filter made to prevent this from happening..[/img]  You have to take it apart and clean the lines and fittings ... There are repair shops that do this not sure what they charge...Good luck
If my father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it!

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:28 PM »
If it gets louder before it shuts off, it is most likely the low O2 sensor.  Take it outside of the tent, or in your garage if at home, and see if it starts and stays lit.  I had the same problem with mine a couple of weeks ago.  Turned out to be the low O2 even with the vents open in my QF4.  Sounds like you have a new unit so I would start with the sensor and go from there.
  BE THERE!

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:36 PM »
This is a brand new heater with a brand new 1lb propane tank.

Not exactly sure what the issue is yet.

Offline hardwateryooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Return It !
If my father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Get the filter if running off a bigger tank. You need some fresh air at ground level. I was having the same prob, i cut some 2in pvc into about a 3-4ft section and i just stick it under the flap in my quickfish 3 around right where i place my buddy. Have stayed out on the ice many times now and no more prob.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:30 AM »
One more thing is dont use the cheap propane cylinders. For some reason the coleman work better than most. They seem to last longer and burn stronger.Echoeing the other post, RETURN IT!! Its brand new. I would also say that buddys are not for everyone. The tank toppers work better for heat anyways. Dont be fooled by BTU output. The fact that the buddy heater uses the BTU's to heat ceramic plates is evidence for the wasted BTU's. Every time energy is exchanged their is loss  in that exchange. Me and my friend go back and forth. I say I sure wish my Buddy heated like your topper does and he says I sure wish it was quite and I wouldnt get burnt like your Big Buddy.

Offline Gumboots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:58 AM »
I had the same problem. Switched to the 20LB tank and it has worked great!

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:05 AM »
 You need to move the thermal coupler up a notch ..............the instructions are on here under the general ice fishing section !!! You will have to look around to find the link !! It's an easy mod , I fixed mine and a few of my friends !!
ice fishing rules

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:52 AM »
DRock, if you PN me your email address I will email the instructions for moving the thermocouple up farther into the pilot flame to you.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Meadbrewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 05:18 PM »
I had the same issue with Heater starting running 1-2 minutes and turning itself off. Heater Buddy with filter connected to 40lb tank using regulator and hose all bought from Lowes. Only use it with everything indoors to heat large room. Found out I had one end of Heater Buddy about 1/8" higher than the other end. This was enough to allow gravity to pull on the safety mechanism, it took 1-2 minutes to go out after lighting but consistently happened until I read an ice fishing post that suggested it should be level. I put it on level surface and bam... problem disappeared.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.