Author Topic: #8 CGI problem and remedy  (Read 874 times)

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
#8 CGI problem and remedy
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:18 PM »
I have three of these things with one sitting around for about a year unused until today. I spooled some line on it and  started to check it out only to find it had an issue with what seemed like a skipping gear at random times. It would do it when the line was pulled against the drag and also when reeling under a slight load. I fiddled with making sure the spool was seated all the way and a couple other simple checks. I then took it mostly apart and noticed the plate that mounts the pinion that drives the spool was not parallel with the reel and did not allow good engagement to the spool gear. I backed  the two small screws out about 3/4 a turn to let the plate/gear come out further and sit level. This fixed the skipping problem. Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem.     

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: #8 CGI problem and remedy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Thanks Flint, that's good to know! I suspect quality control, or lack there of, is the reason why some of us have had issues with this particular reel and others have not. I have not taken mine apart yet. And, without a parts diagram, am not reel anxious to go down that road.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: #8 CGI problem and remedy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Thanks for the info and it would probably work on the Eagle Claw inline reels also because their internals are the same.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.