Author Topic: windlass vs. conventional what do you guys think??  (Read 2200 times)

Offline icekingg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BRING ON THE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
windlass vs. conventional what do you guys think??
« on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:14 PM »
i would go for windlass cause iv used them so long i know all the tricks to make them work well even on windy days.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: windlass vs. conventional what do you guys think??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2006, 04:17 PM »
i would go for windlass cause iv used them so long i know all the tricks to make them work well even on windy days.

How do you get them to work at 20 below zero?  The ice would freeze the line tight where it enters the water and the line would freeze on the spools as well...Esox

Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline icekingg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:11 PM »
well i have foam with a wood backing for weight and a slot to slide the wire through to the center of the insulated circle and as for the spool freezing havent seen that very much :tipup: they still ice up but i have no problem with cleaning them every half hour but usualy they dont stay inactive(lack of fish)to freeze!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:49 PM »
well i have foam with a wood backing for weight and a slot to slide the wire through to the center of the insulated circle and as for the spool freezing havent seen that very much :tipup: they still ice up but i have no problem with cleaning them every half hour but usualy they dont stay inactive(lack of fish)to freeze!

Sounds like they work for you....good luck with them.....I use Lakers....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:53 PM »
 I've used them with deadbaits years ago and did quite well with them.
Mr.Esox

Offline icekingg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:59 PM »
ya i was usually using fairly large bait big enough i had to add more weights to balance the til up spring cranked woth a few washers hung in the back for the extra weight!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:41 PM »
some days they work great some days my normal tip ups outfish them depends on how active the fish are

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:14 PM »
I had no luck at all, but then again I did not really know what I was doing, I found the unit was very light and hard to set-up properly, mine brke in it;s first season and it will be the first and last of it's kind, give me a frabil classic and Im set

Offline plotva

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:17 AM »
More pluses than minuses:
1. Very sensitive. You can actually see when fish hit your minnow: Before flag released, Windlass works as a tip-down. You can set the hook immediately. Depends on species.
2. You can have free minnows in a bait shop: Just ask for a dead minnows. Dead minnows works as good as live.
3. Fully adjustable action. From my experience: low amplitude with soft spring is the best.
-1. Line freezes, but hey it will keep you warm :))

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2006, 08:45 AM »
sorry had to add a few more in the minus coloum

-2) Small Spool
-3) flimsy plastic arms and base (coulbe be stronger)
-3) Parts are specific to that unit, I lost the nut that tightens on the spool, and when I took the screw to to match up a replacement bolt there was none available because the size is not a normal nut.

just my 2cents, as mentioned above I heard all the talk and bught one, but was disapointed

Offline Perch Jerk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My bro is an ice hole
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I use the vinyl coated line (like fly line) on my windlass tipups and it seems to have solved the freezing spool issue.  The line doesn't absorb water and doesn't tangle as easy either.  The hole will still freeze of course disabling the tipup unless you take other action.  There is lots of great info on here about keeping holes from freezing - just do a search.  When conditions/fish mood are right for the windlass you can really haul!

Offline hunter17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:20 PM »
I use the vinyl coated line (like fly line) on my windlass tipups and it seems to have solved the freezing spool issue.  The line doesn't absorb water and doesn't tangle as easy either.  The hole will still freeze of course disabling the tipup unless you take other action.  There is lots of great info on here about keeping holes from freezing - just do a search.  When conditions/fish mood are right for the windlass you can really haul!
   Want to see a good wind tip-up try the ice jigging buddy tip-up.  www.tipup.net  No cheap plastic parts or springs to adjust.I bought mine on e-bay.Took a chance because they said 30 day money back guarantee.I was very impressed at the design and quality when I got them.Also a really cool black solar rubber hole cover is included.My brother swears by his (got last year) I'll report back and let you know what I think.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:50 PM »
How do you get a windlass to work when there is no wind?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.