Author Topic: Windlass traps?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Windlass traps?
« on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:27 AM »
Ok without starting a big ta do can anyone tell me about these?
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
Re: Windlass traps?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:48 AM »
ive got a ht one works great saw the black magic ones at sporting good store could not for the life of me figure it out

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:20 AM »
I just turn my traps to face the wind so the flag doesnt get blown off the trip mechanism, as for black magics I would probably stay away from them, we used to have a lot of them come back to the shop with broken spools on them. they have a good idea but I don't think its worth the money to buy them when you can make any trap wind proof.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:24 AM »
If you are talking about the ones that will jig a little bit in the wind they do work well and will sometimes outfish original traps bc the wind bouncing the live bait will keep it more lively. I like them. You hafta put the special line I think its teflon on it though so it wont freeze!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Thanks guys, keep the info coming.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:58 AM »
is there a page that shows how to set up a black magic trap id like to know just for the sake of learning

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:59 AM »
is there a page that shows how to set up a black magic trap id like to know just for the sake of learning
nevermind found it

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:12 PM »
GOOGLE IT, oh wait  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:19 PM »
GOOGLE IT, oh wait  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
didnt have to its rite on the sponcer link on top it was closer then i thought

Offline outfishingtoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Dag's carries them in Auburn,...check them out

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:49 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.

Offline highvoltagejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:50 PM »
IndianHilltraps.com   I started a collection of BM and then i found Mike!  buy them and never look back

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:26 PM »
without a big ''ta-do'' under certain conditions and/or for certain fish they work great.   
my neighbor uses them for perch, brook trout, pike and walleye.   some days they outfish polar, fish bro's  and cross sticks, some days, NOT. he owns no other tip-ups.
he uses only 10# yellow stren, a single hook and split shot, one foot off the bottom.  never varies, PERIOD.
i carry 2 with me ''incase''.  one is loaded with 12# solar green trilene, the other with 20# sand colored polar brand line painted red with a sharpie.  both have a fluorocarbon 8# leader and a #12 or #14 gold treble hook.  they have been modified with reflective tape, spool markings to see reel movement from any direction and the flag wand removed and replaced with a spring for a more ''sensitive release''.  i also replace all the factory Chinese screws and pressed nuts with American thread hardware and Nylon wing nuts.
i love them for crappie in the spring with a minnow set up with the flo and treble.  i set the minnow 1-3 feet below the bottom of the ice.     they also work well with a ''jackspoon'' at the same depth below the bottom of the ice.   on a ''good'' day, they will outfish about anything for perch with a small teardrop and spike 6'' off the bottom.
i don't use them in a strong wind.    i avoid them like my EX wife when temps are below about 24-26 degrees.
i can PM you the pictures of my mods.    i'm not set up with photobucket or any other way to post a pictue here.   i can forward you the pictures and you can post if you would be so kind.

Offline MGags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:54 AM »
I have a set of those orange polar tip up's, or as my buddys call em the "toys R us traps". i think Frabill makes them now, but they have worked for me over 10 years and still catchin! i also have a few black magic traps, i like em but on a cold day a bit hard to set up. i just saw the Indian hill traps at an expo/ im thinkin about buying a set of those. they are realy easy to set and there is no way the wind (or snowball for that matter) could set them off

Offline MGags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:00 AM »
And for how to set up the black magic traps, on mine i just make sure the handle on the spool is facing down, then slide the rod up to lock the flag in place

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.