New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Thank You to My DAD  (Read 3338 times)

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
Thank You to My DAD
« on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:29 PM »
A thank you to my dad.  The best father and friend anyone could want. The one who taught me respect for the outdoors, respect for life and respect for others. The guy who spent 100's of hours taking me fishing and hunting and caring only about me and what i caught or shot. not baiting his hook because he was to busy untangling my line. Not upset over the Turkey he missed because i was too loud or the deer he missed because i couldnt sit still for 20 mins. The patience he had to sit with me for hours while i helped him cut up deer that "WE" shot only using a plastic butter knife. I couldnt imagine what my life would be like today if not for this man teaching me to be who I am today. I am now 25 and call my dad several times a day. I am fortunate to get the chance to fish with him and hunt with him every week. A big thank you to all Dads like mine. My hero...My best friend...My dad

THANK YOU

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Thank You to My DAD
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Your Dad's a nice man and it was a pleasure meeting him. Have you told him what you just told us   :)

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Hats off to you!!! Nice post.....
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Wow, that is one of the best posts I've read in a while.

Be proud , your father did a good job.
How's the ice

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Your Dad's a nice man and it was a pleasure meeting him. Have you told him what you just told us   :)

He knows I tell him over and over again...He was wondering where you were the other night at whitney..I told him you had a very long day at the farm...When are we going out again???  Im ready now but i dont know how nasty everywhere is.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:43 PM »
Thank you guys...It came from the heart. His Tag is FISH4WALLEYE...Im sure he will see the post later... If you see him on here tell him hes a great dad ;)

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:51 PM »
He knows I tell him over and over again...He was wondering where you were the other night at whitney..I told him you had a very long day at the farm...When are we going out again???  Im ready now but i dont know how nasty everywhere is.

It's going to be sloppy but i'll get out this weekend. Give me a call this weekend

Offline bigbear138

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYSDEC needs a big change.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Hey Gonephisin19, i have too say very touching for me too read.   I feel the same way about my dad but hes getting to that age where certain illnessess are taking there toll on him.   He does not want too ever fish or even hunt any more.  He was a very avid outdoorsman and i will miss that from him when he is gone, thanks for the great post.
Stop complaining do something about it.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:25 PM »
That is the best post ever on here my hats off to you for that, it takes a special person to speak out like you did. ;D

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:38 PM »
sounds like you have great relationship with you dad cherish him my dad past away 25 years ago  :(and i miss him very much he taught me as much as he could when he was alive and i thank him everyday i wish he was here     bigfish   :tipup:     

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:43 PM »
classy post. props to ya gonephishin :tipup:

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Thanks guys ;D

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Classy!!!!!  Don't ever take what you have for granted ,whether it's parents ,kids or friends.We should enjoy them all while they are here,life isn't a guarantee .My dad is also gone over 20 years but his teaching live in me every day,it's comforting that in todays busy world a son (and I have two) can still have time for his dad.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2008, 05:05 PM »
A thank you to my dad.  The best father and friend anyone could want. The one who taught me respect for the outdoors, respect for life and respect for others. The guy who spent 100's of hours taking me fishing and hunting and caring only about me and what i caught or shot. not baiting his hook because he was to busy untangling my line. Not upset over the Turkey he missed because i was too loud or the deer he missed because i couldnt sit still for 20 mins. The patience he had to sit with me for hours while i helped him cut up deer that "WE" shot only using a plastic butter knife. I couldnt imagine what my life would be like today if not for this man teaching me to be who I am today. I am now 25 and call my dad several times a day. I am fortunate to get the chance to fish with him and hunt with him every week. A big thank you to all Dads like mine. My hero...My best friend...My dad

THANK YOU

Amen to that brother!

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2008, 05:14 PM »
great words spoken from the heart. I feel the same about my dad, his dedication do teaching me all things outdoors has made me the man I am today, and my interest in fisheries management led me to persue my career in his footsteps. I hope I can be as good a father to my kids as is to me.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I just read your post and after chocking up a little I had to call the old man. Thanks bud you brought up
some great memories.

Cheers to dads.

Offline Rogers Apples

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:04 PM »
wow man that was really good, i hope when im older i can do the same with my dad
tell them im coming
and the vex is coming with me

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Almost passed this one bye, 2cents worth of advice....TELL him...often. Both  of my parents are gone, but thought of frequently. My dad never hunted or fished or cared for the out of doors like I do. Truth is , I never really " knew" him. He did his best for us growing up and i loved him for that. For all you folks who are able to hunt or fish with your pops,  Cherish that, and pass it on to yours because all too soon one of you could be gone . Don't mean to sound all doom and gloom...just got me thinkin on how fast it all goes bye and I hope all who have that kind of relationship realize how awesome it is!
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Good parents, good parenting = good kids.

I hope, as I'm sure your Dad hopes, that you take his example and ideals with you as you grow and start your own family (if you choose to).

Congratulations to both of you.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:11 PM »

This is a good example of what hunting and fishing can teach young people.

Quote from a bumper sticker I saw today.

" Children who hunt and fish don't mug little old ladies"   

How's the ice

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:37 PM »

This is a good example of what hunting and fishing can teach young people.

Quote from a bumper sticker I saw today.

" Children who hunt and fish don't mug little old ladies"   

Yeah Gone is a good guy.. won't say kid as he is in his mid twenty's and I have fished with him a few times now. He's a class act all the way around..His dad did a great job.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Yeah Gone is a good guy.. won't say kid as he is in his mid twenty's and I have fished with him a few times now. He's a class act all the way around..His dad did a great job.

Thanks Keith.  Thats funny I have that bumper sticker

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Another note about this family.. A few of us were fishing the point the other night and his dad leaves for work at 4 in the morning but drove about 35 miles one way at 8:00 at night to just start fishing with his kid. All because Dustin called his dad to say he was going out fishing that night. I would do the same with my kids as i'm sure most guys on here probably would also but that is what it's all about..Family

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:22 PM »
GREAT POST,I MISS MY DAD OUT ON THE ICE,WE HAD SO MANY GOOD TIMES,HE'S IN FLORIDA AND I MISS HIM EVERY TIME WE GO OUT!

Offline mudman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Wow. Couldn't have said it better. Very nice. Lost my dad when i was 12. Wish i could do all those things with him. If i could tell him that's what i would try to say. Class act.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Sorry to everyone who cannot share the same bond with their father that my father and I have..Hopefully we get to share many more years of this. :)

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:55 PM »
A very nice post! Thanks for reminding all us Dads what its all about.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:08 PM »
A very nice post! Thanks for reminding all us Dads what its all about.

Note to you dads...YOUR KIDS DONT FORGET THE TIME YOU SPEND WITH THEM

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2008, 04:50 AM »
Thank You for your post gonephishing. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of my dad. He was my fishing and hunting buddy and I miss him. You will make a great father some day and your dad will  be a great, grand dad.

Offline foot-in-hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2008, 05:43 AM »
Thanks for making me take a moment to reflect.

My dad took me fishing all the time when I was a kid. He didn't really know how to fish - yeah we got lucky now and then, but it was "father and son time" together. I obsessed about fishing until my late teen years. Then I went off to college, partied and spent time with girls... then one day my dad was sick. I was 23 when he died. I was 23 when I began to fish again. I developed a friendship with a buddy who had returned from college around the same time my dad passed. We began to fish and hunt together. This is my closest friend almost 20 years later. I was best-man at his wedding... he held my kids when they were babies... we are as tight as family. Somehow in trying to get closer to what my father and I had shared, I ended up with one of the best friends a guy could have. I still miss my dad and I always imagine that he is looking down when I am catching fish like we used to dream about!

My son is finally getting to that age - he caught a 33 inch pike last summer and makes me show the picture to everyone we meet! My daughter sat with me last year when I took a deer during archery season. These are the memories that never go away.

Best Wishes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.