New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: watertown area help  (Read 1462 times)

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
watertown area help
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:28 AM »
can someone familiar with the watertown area give me some pointers on local bait shops and some places to get on the ice for panfish (perch, bluegills ) ?

i'm in the southern finger lakes and ice looks doubtful for the first week of Feb., when i have some time off.
we're up to trying some new places, but not sure where to start.

we've got a place to stay in watertown, and don't mind driving an hour or so from there.

we don't need someone to hold our hands, but we'd  sure appreciate any pointers anyone can give us

thank you thank you thank you!
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: watertown area help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:32 AM »
can someone familiar with the watertown area give me some pointers on local bait shops and some places to get on the ice for panfish (perch, bluegills ) ?

i'm in the southern finger lakes and ice looks doubtful for the first week of Feb., when i have some time off.
we're up to trying some new places, but not sure where to start.

we've got a place to stay in watertown, and don't mind driving an hour or so from there.

we don't need someone to hold our hands, but we'd  sure appreciate any pointers anyone can give us

thank you thank you thank you!

Theres a Gander Mountain right off route 81 in Watertown, they have everything, including bait.

13 miles away in Chaumont, 3 bait shops, and lots of access to the ice..the state boat launching ramp, Guffins Bay, etc...

Perch Lake in the town of Pamelia, about a 20 minute drive from Watertown....

Any of the INdian river lakes, about 30-40 minutes north of Watertown..Millsite Lake, etc...PM me for specifics..Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Rich D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Essox,
  Don't forget about Lakeview just south of Henderson. This might be a good place to look at this weekend if the temps stay this cold. The ice should form up fast being that it is mostly out of the wind. Good place for gills and pike. Just a thought. Keep me posted Paul.
 Rich

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:58 AM »
Essox,
  Don't forget about Lakeview just south of Henderson. This might be a good place to look at this weekend if the temps stay this cold. The ice should form up fast being that it is mostly out of the wind. Good place for gills and pike. Just a thought. Keep me posted Paul.
 Rich

Rich...I'm thinking that maybe by Friday we can get on the ice in front of your place, if it gets as cold as they're predicting.....suppose d to hit -10 tonight.....as long as the wind doesn't kick up..we might have a chance....there's a good hard skim across Chaumont at the bridge this morning....

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 11:00 AM »
can't thank you guys enough!

what a wonderful website!
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Rich D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Paul,
    That sounds good. I have to work until Sunday morning, so hopefully it will harden up enough by then. Dad is waiting to hear on conditiongs before he gets everything out. I told we may have to go up to camp to get on ice this year. Keep me posted.
 rich

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:21 PM »
About 15 miles North of Watertown are the Indian River Lakes.
There are some really good panfish in them.
Esox can give you more details than myself!!!

Offline steelieATC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:35 PM »
lets hope those lakes have some solid ice on themby this weekend!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:19 PM »
I'll keep checking the conditions on North Sandy Pond as of now it is skimmed over but not safe yet.I had real good luck with bluegills there last year and there are lots of pike there also.This is about 30 minutes south of Watertown and when it is safe there is parking at Greene Point Marina for a small fee.If anyone needs directions then pm me. :tipup:

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I'll keep checking the conditions on North Sandy Pond as of now it is skimmed over but not safe yet.I had real good luck with bluegills there last year and there are lots of pike there also.This is about 30 minutes south of Watertown and when it is safe there is parking at Greene Point Marina for a small fee.If anyone needs directions then pm me. :tipup:

Sandy is a great spot if the ice is good. Last couple of years has been sketchy :(
To fish that lake properly, you need: 1-Good solid ice...2-a snowmobile...and 3-Good luck.

Late season Crappies on that Pond are as good as any in the whole state ;D

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Paul,
    That sounds good. I have to work until Sunday morning, so hopefully it will harden up enough by then. Dad is waiting to hear on conditiongs before he gets everything out. I told we may have to go up to camp to get on ice this year. Keep me posted.
 rich

Rich...went by your place this afternoon and the inlet is still open, winds are blowing down the channel between the island and the boathouse ...but I posted in the big water/jefferson thread tonight about the ice in other places......

Offline Fishin First

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:28 AM »
   I can not pm you but I would like directions.I love to fish for the gills
To fish this week end.Sounds like ill have to go north
 Batavia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.