New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: line markers  (Read 3687 times)

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
line markers
« on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:27 AM »
for the 10 years i have been marking my depth with matches but i am looking to change and need a new idea what are some ways you guys mark the depth of your line
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
Re: line markers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:55 AM »
I use tiny bobbers,on my tip-ups,is this what your asking,tip up line markers?I know some guys use buttons as well. :tipup:
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:59 AM »
If you are talking about Tip-up line markers, read these posts-->  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=37653.0
Ken                                          

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:00 AM »

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:28 AM »
I like the little bobbers too. However, with my tip-ups, I usually weight and measure out by hand each line i put int the water. For my hand poles though, i LOVE using the little bobbers. Plus, it's easier to see a bright colored bobber moving around a little than the line if it doesn't run right off with it.

Offline AhYah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Shot of Ukrainian
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:50 AM »
I use both bobbers and buttons.  I prefer the buttons because the are easier to use in colder weather.  Especially at the end of the day

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 11:21 AM »
You can also use a twist tie that you get with garbage bags but they are not as convenient as the small bobbers.
Rob Taylor

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I've been giving this a little thought...matches  ???Are they at least water-proof,ya know,in case of an emergency  ;) ?
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:54 PM »
well my tipup line is marked every 10 feet so i now the depth and i use a bobber at the reel so i can see how far it go's out :tipup: :tipup:

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:07 PM »
I"ve used bobbers and buttons. I prefer buttons as you can wind them right up with the line when pulling your tip-ups and they're right there when you're ready to set them up again.
packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:11 PM »
yea those tiny bobbers work well...

PWR BAIT

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:17 PM »
I use small bb split shot on mine works well.  PB

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:23 PM »
Buttons.......easier to work in cold weather....hold them in your teeth and pull the line as required.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:49 PM »
Buttons.......easier to work in cold weather....hold them in your teeth and pull the line as required.....Esox

I agree ... they are so much easier to use especially with cold hands .

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:54 PM »
I use a button. After I clip my sounder on, I can hold the button and the line slides through the holes nice until it sounds out.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:22 PM »
use little white plastic rings, make a loop in the line, put it throught the ring, and then put the ring through the loop. works for me
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I still tye a slip knot like grandpaw taught me   ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2006, 06:18 PM »
I use small buttons.  If you are using polar style tip ups, they must be small enough to fit through the line holder. 

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2006, 06:54 PM »
I use a button and it usually works real well

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:34 PM »
 Buttons may be easier but I have no trouble with bobbers.
Hey model8 you gotta light ;D

Wheres all the Dam Ice,
Wellsy

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2006, 08:49 PM »
I use both buttons and bobbers. After i sound i put the bobber on at the depth then run the button up and keep it there if we catch fish at that hole then the button stays. I take my bobbers off at the end of the day anyways.
ICE ICE ICE ICE     :whistle: :whistle:

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I have to say, I never really had anyone to show me how to do my outdoor things. Not really my parents thing or anyone else close to me. So, the matches deal i still don't get, but now that i've heard the button thing...i like the sounds of it..lol What do you do....slide the line through 2 of the holes to hold it in place? I would have never have thought about that. It's not like the bobbers were ever that big a problem to think about it...lol  Ok...i have to ask....what exactly do you do with matches to mark the line? Also, don't the bread ties slide on the line? ok, that's it!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:30 AM »
I have to say, I never really had anyone to show me how to do my outdoor things. Not really my parents thing or anyone else close to me. So, the matches deal i still don't get, but now that i've heard the button thing...i like the sounds of it..lol What do you do....slide the line through 2 of the holes to hold it in place? I would have never have thought about that. It's not like the bobbers were ever that big a problem to think about it...lol  Ok...i have to ask....what exactly do you do with matches to mark the line? Also, don't the bread ties slide on the line? ok, that's it!

use 2 holes of the button...and match up the hole size of the button to the diameter of the line you use.  Make it a snug fit but not a tight one......Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:38 AM »
I still tye a slip knot like grandpaw taught me   ;D
same here, I tried buttons and tiny bobbers (they are a pain in the @#@$!).

SlipKnot is also one of my fav tunes, kind of a lucky charm sorta thing!

SlipKnot!

Help>Slip>Frank from 03/24/90 (Sat) Knickerbocker Arena - Albany, NY for any of you headie folks out there

Offline tomhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:44 AM »
I use a rubber band tied to the line.Fits through all line guides, And I can tie them on even when I can't feel my hands.  I also use them for bobber stops when in a pinch.
just trying to whack a couple of walleyes

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:03 AM »
C'mon guys, all that extra work, and all them 'Things' to deal with. Just do what Rob-S, Coldbum, and I do. Tie a frikkin' slip knot where the line leaves the top of yer spool and pull it a bit tight. When you want to change depths for different reasons just pull the knot out and re-tie it at the new depth, eh?

For those who don't know what a slip knot is: It's a loop you make in the line by bringing the HANGING portion of the line back over the reel line laid over your pointer finger. You then kinda reach through the loop, grasp the HANGING portion of the suspended line and pull it back through the loop. Pull on the side of the loop that's closest to the reel/spool and snug it up. Reduce the resulting loop by pulling on the suspended side 'till it's tight and of a size that's managable.

When you want to change depths just pull on the hanging/suspended side of the loop and it will pull right out. After you set the selected depth you can get right back to it by having the loop at the top of the spool for visual confirmation each time you re-set.

All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:41 AM »
I have always used slip bobber stops you get a whole bag for 10 bucks at gander mountain :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:45 AM »
You guys are gonna think I am nuts, but, here's what I do: I use the black braided line, a yard stick, and a paint marking pen, to mark every three feet on the entire spool. Just a dot of white or yellow (ran out of white after a while) every three feet gives me an exact measurement. It's permenant, can see it in very low light, works great. A little time consuming to start, but is well worth it to me in the long run.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2006, 12:09 PM »
too bad they dont make Icefishing line like lead line.. all marked out nifty like!

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:27 PM »
I like to use the little bobbers. there so cute ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.