New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: "grazing" trout  (Read 1374 times)

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
"grazing" trout
« on: Dec 12, 2006, 05:28 AM »
A few years ago I caught 5 nice trout from a small trout lake. When I cleaned the fish I examined the stomach contents and was very surprised at what I found. Four of the stomachs appeared to be full of twig-like weeds. After further examination, I noticed these weeds were hollow and there were some type of grubs living inside of them. I wonder how the fish knew that the grubs were in there. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: "grazing" trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2006, 05:55 AM »
Yes, and I hope I'm correct in saying they are Caddis fly larvae. They build little tubes of 'Stuff', detritis and debris, consisting of whatever their environment contains, like sand, pebbles, wood, leaves, and all kinds of stuff.

These tubes are usually all the same aproximate diameter and can be two inches long. The forward opening is usually thinner and transparent as the creature inside is adding to it using silk and 'Glue' to build it as they grow. They extend their forward body/leg parts to move around in the lake, stream, bottoms searching out food and other 'Stuff' to make their 'Homes' grow with them.

They are AQUATIC INSECTS under the DEC laws and it is ILLEGAL to remove them from waters inhabited by Trout. They are a very important food source for Trout, (as you now know), and can be gotten from any small streams NOT inhabited by Trout by raking up bottom debris into a piece of close mesh screen then examining the contents.

If you pool a bit of water in your hand with something that looks like what you describe, and wait a few minutes, you may see the creature extend its front end and legs and begin to move about. Those are what we're talkin' 'bout here. You can pick the 'Shell' apart to see the entire insect. The Trout eat the whole thing, 'stuff' and all.

I would advise NOT taking too many of these for bait inasmuch as you'd be moving whatever diseases they may carry from one body of water to the next, particularly from non-Trout waters that are often polluted with other junk anyway. There are various fly-tied and plastic imitations that may work as well for trout, and despite the small size I have taken Trout weighing several pounds on them.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:21 AM »
Thanks for that explanation Chainsaw. :)
I will also say that I noticed a similar thing a few weeks ago. I didn't inspect the stomach as closely but it was filled with green weeds and debris. The belly was absolutely jammed packed with what I thought was weeds(no sign of any noticeable insects

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:57 AM »
Pretty Good words Chainsaw,
When I was about 17 we were fishin the marble river and my buddy's cousin was killing em'. And we were doing our best for half the day to get one on.
I asked him???what the heck???.
And being the gracious teacher, he spent the rest of the day with me studying the bottom of the river. I learned more that afternoon looking instead of fishing.
What I'm saying is sometimes you have to put the fishing pole down and take a good look at your enviroment.
It did a world of good for me anyway.

Wellsy

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:40 PM »
I practice catch and release, but my curiosity gets the better half of me sometimes that and a fish that I am certain will not live after catching it,( I will add I eat them if this happens.) You can learn alot about trout peaking inside thier stomach, it can sometimes realy turn you on to what to use for a fly, or minnow or what size fly or minnow.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2006, 05:38 PM »
Wasn't an insect, but about 6 years ago I took a peek inside the belly of  my dinner ( 19" brownie ) and found a sucker 7.5" long.  :o

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Wasn't an insect, but about 6 years ago I took a peek inside the belly of  my dinner ( 19" brownie ) and found a sucker 7.5" long.  :o

Again, I am always learning. I would have never guessed that a brown trout would eat a sucker :unsure: I wonder if they eat creek chubs ???

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:21 AM »
king fisher i have also found those in the stomaches as well same with little trout i have also found in larger  trouts stomaches

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I can say this much brown trout will gorge themselves, about 2 -3 years ago I caught a 22+inch brown on a local stream with the head of a recently stocked brown poping out of his throat, Did I mention I caught him on a big streamer. Another thing creek chubs work great but if you find mudminnows are present in a body of water you are fishing, for christ sakes trap them and use them.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Lets say i catch a 4-5 inch creek chub in a trout stream.  What type & size hook would you use ??? Where should i hook them ....in the mouth or dorsal fin ???

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Lets say i catch a 4-5 inch creek chub in a trout stream.  What type & size hook would you use ??? Where should i hook them ....in the mouth or dorsal fin ???
Lets say I catch a 4"-5" trout in a creek chub stream I would use a #12 or #14 in the dorsal.  ; :roflmao:

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2006, 08:08 PM »
 :D :clap: Good one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.