New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Who here fished the Sackets Harbor derby??  (Read 891 times)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Who here fished the Sackets Harbor derby??
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:21 AM »
Back in the hey day of the Sackets Fishing derby, who on here fished in it??

Back then it was quite an event, CBS sent a news team up to cover it a couple years or more. 

Old Sid Patterson won the derby and was drunk when interviewed by them....and he made the locally infamous comment about having to "pour a little ginger brandy down the hole" in order to bring in the big ones..it was amazing to see thousands of people on the ice for one event.....

Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline JimmBob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Dog Comin'
Re: Who here fished the Sackets Harbor derby??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:09 PM »
I use to fish it Esox, looking at the pictures we have of back then and comparing it with the cutting edge/high tech stuff we have now is quite amazing.  The big thing that stands out is how much fun that was and the thickness of the ice back then, maybe it was my bad memory or just the dull scoop blades ;D, JimmBob
J.R.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:12 PM »
I use to fish it Esox, looking at the pictures we have of back then and comparing it with the cutting edge/high tech stuff we have now is quite amazing.  The big thing that stands out is how much fun that was and the thickness of the ice back then, maybe it was my bad memory or just the dull scoop blades ;D, JimmBob

We had a lot more ice back then...and we also had duller blades.....

I'm surprised a lot more folks haven't responded to this thread, given the amount of ice fishermen around here....but it's early yet, and this thread is new................Eso x
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline wayneo637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 09:09 PM »
Esox
I fish it every year now. I wish I could have fished it back when it was really big. Its still fun now but I hear it used to be a lot better. 

WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER I'LL ICE FISH THERE TOO!!

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2006, 05:10 PM »
hi,i used to live in alexandria bay and knew sid patterson,great guy and even a better fisherman and was a guide on the st. lawrence river.i think his wife's name was tilly whom i worked with in the early 70's at the pine tree point club in the bay,one of the frist things she said when she came to work was,it's hot in here-my feet hurt and where's the brandy,go figure.i did fish in the sackets derby in the late 60's and remember the cbs news truck being there.pikie's dad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.