New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: burden lake  (Read 4165 times)

dwayne

burden lake
« on: Dec 04, 2006, 07:23 AM »
Ok fellow capital district ice fishers.  A buddy of mine got an invite to do some fishing this winter on Burden lake.  Does anyone have any experience with the lake.  I am not asking for any trade secrets or where the best spots are.  I am just curious to know if it is worth driving 40 minutes from Schaghticoke to wet a line in?  We are primarily walleye, crappie,and perch hunting.

thanks....

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: burden lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2006, 10:29 AM »
I usally go to Burden a couple of times a winter. Some nice yellow and white perch. Ocassional huge walleye. Pannies in the shallows. 
Flag Up!!!

dwayne

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:12 AM »
ice dauber......thanks for the reply.  I think we will give it a shot once or twice this winter.  My home water (tomhannock) is only productive the first couple weeks of the season so it will be nice to do some exploring after that dries up.

I agree slipbob.....I'd like to find out who the capital district white perch stocker is and give them a few choice words.  They put a huge hurting on the tomhannock perch and crappie population.   :-\

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 02:07 PM »
i dont like white perch!!!!!!!! they take my bait!!!! ;)2

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:56 PM »
I never did much at Burden,mostly small perch, sunnies and bass. I've heard of some very large Walleye but have never caught one or seen one caught
The Tomhannock was a great place for Perch and Crappies the first few years after they opened it up,you could catch  all you wanted most days then it went slowly downhill,about the same time that the Walleyes started to show up. walleyes were not native to the Res.and there were no white perch .Last winter we hit the north end and drilled over 100 holes,we both were using fl18's not only didn't catch anthying we never saw anthying on the screens 8)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Ok fellow capital district ice fishers.  A buddy of mine got an invite to do some fishing this winter on Burden lake.  Does anyone have any experience with the lake.  I am not asking for any trade secrets or where the best spots are.  I am just curious to know if it is worth driving 40 minutes from Schaghticoke to wet a line in?  We are primarily walleye, crappie,and perch hunting.

thanks....

i live right by it and it is defiantly worth the drive if you want to catch fish. and there are some nice fish in there if you can find them

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:15 PM »
I used to ice fish Burden quite a bit for perch (but not lately).  Didn't catch any monsters but enough decent size ones to make for a nice dinner. I usually fished the big pond from the road (parking) to the island. Caught some real big pickerel too.

Sending you a PM on another walleye possibility not far from home. 

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:40 AM »
burden is pretty much one of my home waters and if you know where to look and how to catch them perch,crappie and walleye fishing is awsome. put some nice eyes 22-26 onthe ice last year perch run between 10-13 inches if you can find em crappies i find are few and far between in the 12-15 range but theres a ton of em from 7-10 inches. it also depends upon which lake you fish.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:08 PM »
i have also put a nice eye on the ice last year but now its on the wall.

Offline perchfisher23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:17 AM »

I am perchkings brother and the eye was 29" and weigh 8.5 pounds. I was jealous seeing that my tip-up was only 10' away.

Offline HT Redneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:44 AM »
My Gramps used to have a camp on Burden 20 years ago and had great fishing but that was in the summer.  Never really got into the eyes but there used to be great Perch and Pickerel fishing in the Middle and little lakes.

There used to always be talk of decent eyes in the big lake but I was a kid and we didn't venture up there much. 

Do most of the eyes come through the ice from out of the deep water in the big lake?

Slip Bob, those White Perch have been there for 25 years if they are going to wipe out the Yellow Perch they better hurry up.

HTR
Any day you can walk on water is a good day.........

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2006, 09:06 AM »
i have often heard that even siipbobs cat wont eat white perch. never tried em but if a cat wont eat em im betting i wont either. walleyes come out of all three lakes at burden and not always in deep water either my buddy got one last year in 4-5 foot of water in the middle of the day that was 24-25 inches 4.5 -5 pounds and it was a very tasty lunch. i am always game to fish burden if anyone wants to hook up this year i will try and help them out.

water

Offline uns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I live on Burden lake and the white perch have been there forever and are fun to catch.  Eating they aren't half bad.  If there is a decline in yellow perch its due to the northern pike population thats exploding here.  Catching well over a dozen a year now not even fishing for them, ranging from 9" to 45", regardless they all end up in my garden.  Those walleyes are few and far between but are quality fish, DEC stocked them for a number of years but not recently. great lake limited access

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2006, 11:14 AM »
cartop only slip but you can definately get on there with the wheeler as soon as we get some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline uns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2006, 11:18 AM »
There is a CARTOP  launch on the 3rd lake but thats a hike to the main lake w/out an ATV in winter.  Mostly kayaks, canoes and row boats park there in summer. Also some people living on that road can be very difficult when they see outsiders parking there, threatening messages are the norm. (it is legal though). Ice fishing most people park at Kays (summer resturant) and access there- both 2nd and 3rd lakes.  Good luck!

dwayne

« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Thank you to everyone who responded to the post.  I appreciate it and let you all know what I find this winter.

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Hey i cruised by burden today the main lake is open but both smaller lakes are locked up possiable to be out there next week if old man winter cooperates.

water

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2006, 11:54 PM »
i doubt it with highs in the mid 40's i dont think we will  be out till januaury

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.