New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bait Reminder  (Read 5065 times)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Bait Reminder
« on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:01 PM »
Just want to remind you guys that now is the time to harvest some Oak Leaf Grubs for this coming season.
Here's a shot of our trip today. Two of us split over 200.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bait Reminder
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Where and how do you get them again? under oak leaves? or are they in the Acorns?  last year there was alot of discussion about these.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:32 PM »
You find them in small streams. They are the larva of the cranefly which looks like a huge mosquito. We find them where clumps of leaves get pushed against a bank. We take handsful of leaves and gravel/silt from the bottom, wash it in the current, and paw through the leaves for them. Just be sure you aren't getting them from a trout stream as that's illegal.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:39 PM »
time for me to hook up wioth the wizard and get some of those little critters :tipup:

you could have got ahold of me jerry, i would have helped out :tipup:

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Do those grubs keep well in the fridge like spikes or mousie?

i dont have luck with them :'( but most guys keep them for months by changing the water and leaves every couple days, i think, lol, maybe thats why mine dont keep that long :D

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:57 PM »
okay i googled it

seems like alot of work to harvest and store these buggers Ill just stick to the wholesale bait companies for bait :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I have an old fridge in the garage. I put them in one of the veggie bins with moist leaves from the stream. I have kept them all season like that. They will feed on the leaves and grow during the winter. If you have to add leaves during the winter months make sure to soak them for several days to get the tanic acid out or it will kill them.

As for the work, we got our 200+ in less than 2 hours on a beautiful fall day. It didn't seem like work at all.

They can be hard to find in the retail bait outlets.

The guy I was with showed me this spot and I don't feel free to give the location, but I have found them in other small streams in the area.
        Chainsaw

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:43 PM »
Dont worry I live too far away I am not stealing your spot. I am just saying  for me anyways that I go through 5,000 spikes a season and will go through about 1,000 or more waxies this year. A few oak leaaf grubs arent going to last me very long. :) I would assume they work just like waxies do.
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Offline Pikeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2006, 07:00 AM »
Great info jerry. I'll have to look for some on my way to the deer stand. I've read about them here last year but haven't tried them. Thanks.

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2006, 07:08 AM »
I have a few spots to gather them from too... they work great on perch!
I first learned of them on Seneca Lake... popular in the bait stores down there and the perch in Seneca love them!

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2006, 08:57 AM »
.............the perch in Seneca love them!

I wish I could say the same for the perch in Silver, though some days they will show an interest in them when they turn their noses at everything else. I sort of use them as a last resort bait on Silver.

Arch, I've got the screen for sifting through the leaves if you want to borrow it.
        Chainsaw

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Arch, I've got the screen for sifting through the leaves if you want to borrow it.

i have a screen as well, thanks, i just like getting out on a nice day and cruising the creeks for them :tipup:

Dont worry I live too far away I am not stealing your spot. I am just saying  for me anyways that I go through 5,000 spikes a season and will go through about 1,000 or more waxies this year. A few oak leaaf grubs arent going to last me very long. :) I would assume they work just like waxies do.

they work alot better, and if you bought oakies you wouldnt go through that many or you would be BROKE or like us, go out and get your own, like jerry said, you can geta couple hundred in a couple hours, 2-3 weekends 2-3 hours a day and you will have plenty for an entire season, especially if you dont hunt, or already got your deer, its great, heck you can even sell them for a pretty penny to some local bait shops :tipup:

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2006, 05:09 PM »
Hey i was just wondering where i am from i think that we call those helgramites is that what it is.  we catch them in the summer by lifting up rocks in streams and stirring up dirt and holding a screen a little down stream.  We use them for smallmouth in my area.  Do they have those nasty pinchers that hurt like a mother.
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Hey i was just wondering where i am from i think that we call those helgramites is that what it is.  we catch them in the summer by lifting up rocks in streams and stirring up dirt and holding a screen a little down stream.  We use them for smallmouth in my area.  Do they have those nasty pinchers that hurt like a mother.

oakies are different than helgramites (sp.) helgramites are more of a centapede type critter, oakies are more a big, fat brown, grub, or waxie. but the same method to catching them :tipup: except you get the oakies in the fall when the streams are clogged with fallen oak leaves :tipup:

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Ok, thanks for clearing that up the look very similar in the picture.
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Different species Mass

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:00 PM »
they are actually not really that similar ???

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2006, 05:12 PM »
are the oakies actually in the water  or on the banks ???

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2006, 08:35 PM »
You'll find them in the water where the leaves are all bunched up. They are usually near the bottom.
        Chainsaw

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2006, 08:42 PM »
i guess thats why i could only find one today

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2006, 08:16 AM »
They look sorta like a mealworm.  Are they the same texture and size? 
I love a flag!!!!

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2006, 06:49 PM »
The ones we gathered last week were anywhere from 3/8 to 1" in length. They will grow as they feed on the leaves in storage. Biggest i have seen were about 1 & 1/2" long and as big around as a pencil. if you have ever watched them on an AquaVu, you know that when hooked through the middle they "flap" both ends in sync and resemble a bat in flying in slow motion.
        Chainsaw

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Went out today to look again, found about 10 doz in about an hour. How often do you need to change the leaves and water ???

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2006, 07:45 PM »
Way to go. I keep them in the vegetable bin in an old refrigerator. Just make sure that the leaves they are stored in are kept moist. I sprinkle a little water on them about once a week. If they eat a lot of the leaves, I replace them. Make sure that if you add leave that haven't been in the water for a period of time, you soak them for a few days. This removes the tanic acid in them which might kill your supply. Keep us posted as to how they work out for you.
        Chainsaw

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2006, 02:26 AM »
Jerry, Is it best to use only Oak leaves, or doesn't matter?
guy

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2006, 06:38 AM »
It doesn't seem to mater. In fact, I think the ones I gathered this year were found mostly in maple leaves. Just make sure to soak them for a few days before adding them.
        Chainsaw

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2006, 06:40 AM »

we call them dobbies around here or dobsonfly larvae. they work great on smallies  ;)

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2006, 06:54 PM »
   I have always searched for oakies in small ditches or creeks (not inhabited  by trout, naturally). While deer hunting Friday, in an  area of the woods where I hunt , which is usually a wet area this time of year, just large puddles of water.
   I said to myself, self.  ;) There might just be some oakies in there. I grabed a handful of wet leaves, and in that small bunch there were 1/2 doz of grubs. Here I thought I had to go to a stream to get them.
   PS: Did not get a deer, but I picked up a lot of oakies. Put them in a plastic bag that I had in my game bag. Don't know if any of you gents have ever got oakies in the woods. Like I said, it has to be a real wet spot.
aka FishingPolski

Offline joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2006, 02:21 PM »
my brother has over 300 doz...he lives to fish. we found this site and he loves it.he would like to move some of his oakleafs,,,,,,but don't know how.any ideals??? ??? ???

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Is the screen a small mesh (3/8" or smaller) and is it used just to shake or stir up the leaves so the grubs go to the bottom of it.  Hated to sit here and look stupid so I opened my mouth to remove all doubt  ;D ;D

Thanks for any input or tips as I have 4 creeks that I trap on and their loaded with leaves.

T/L
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.