New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How do you choose to harvest?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How do you choose to harvest?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2020, 11:45 AM »
One thing I have learned is that people have drastically different ideas about keeping fish.
George Carlin had a bit where he noticed that "everyone driving faster than you was a maniac, and everyone that drove slower than you was an A$$hole". I think that principle applies to most things- we feel that we are the standard, and everyone to either side is doing it wrong.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2020, 01:17 PM »
You nailed it Badger.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2020, 04:15 PM »

I miss George’s wit

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2020, 04:49 PM »
all you  guys that  don't  keep  your  limits  mind if i   do and you  just  tell the  DEC you gave  them  to me  .....i  don't  get it, all this talk  about  catch and release  on  panfish  the  dec  biologist  say  we have  more  fish then  we  ever  have and i believe that .....i personally  don't like  counting fish  i like counting  pounds ...and  i  don't like  a  empty freezer ....i can shoot 7  deer legally in  new  york  and  you  act  like  a  8 inch  perch   is  a  sin?  i  don't  get it  ... now  you  fellas  that  don't  want to  clean them i  understand that  or  if  you  have  enough in  your  freezers but  to  reduce the limits  because of  some ones  worped or  misguided  feelings that  this  will  help the  population or increase the  fishery is  totally absurd ....the  old  saying  don't  fix  things that aren't  broke  should  be  taken  into  consideration  here....

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2020, 08:05 PM »
In my opinion a fish limit could be set according to the size of a body of water if you really feel fish limits need to be adjusted.  It would not be realistic to have a fish limit of 25 or less, on perch in waters like Erie, Ontario, Oneida, some of the Finger Lakes or lake George and etc.  Lets thinks twice about reducing fish limits without reviewing the pages and pages of reports the DEC has on most bodies of water.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2020, 08:37 PM »
In my opinion a fish limit could be set according to the size of a body of water if you really feel fish limits need to be adjusted.  It would not be realistic to have a fish limit of 25 or less, on perch in waters like Erie, Ontario, Oneida, some of the Finger Lakes or lake George and etc. 

Sounds about right to me... 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2020, 04:06 PM »
count them  you  can  shot  7  legal deer in  new  york  before  you  go  to  a  unlimited  doe area

license  .....  buck  1 deer
 doe  permits           2  deer

nov left  over  doe  permits 2  deer

bow  tag            1  deer
  muzzle  loader    1  deer

way i  do  math that is  7 deer   not to mention   unlimited  doe  areas  we  live in a  sportsman  mecca  and people  don't  even know it

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 19, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Amen Frogger. The social media hasn't helped. Word of a hot bite or an overlooked little lake spreads fast and then it's ruined for years. People can't seem to understand selective harvest or the impact of pressure on the smaller waters. It's a shame NY still allows selling fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.