New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How do you choose to harvest?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
How do you choose to harvest?
« on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:51 AM »
So, this year I was asked to submit my opinion on NYS limits. Apparently, their paramount concern is to hopefully reduce the current yellow perch daily limit. My input was 20 per person. This got me thinking recently as to how other fisherman harvest. So, in a scenario where you're having a day where you are keeping, what are your max capacity limits? I ask in contrast to days where you are either purely fishing for sport or just looking to keep a small meal?

I'd say generally mine are:

3 Walleye 15-24''
20 Perch 9''+
12 Crappie 9-12''

Generally don't keep anything else and yes, I do think northerns are very good!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Re: How do you choose to harvest?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2020, 10:04 AM »
I think my choice of how I harvest is two fold: what body of water am I fishing? and what species am I targeting?

If im on a larger lake, LG or Saratoga, Im much more likely to keep a full limit of panfish. I use a lot of fish as fertilizer for my garden, so I tend to harvest a lot of smaller fish in those situations. I let almost all of the really big ones go tho, and will save a few in the 8-10" range for eating. I generally don't go crazy stocking my freezer so my take tends to decrease as I run out of space for the fertilizer haha.

When it comes to walleye, I generally don't target them enough to have the option to take a full limit when Im out there. Walleye being one of my favorite fish to eat, I tend to keep closer to my limit there but once again all the big breeders go back. One of my favorite species to target on the ice is Lakers but I might only keep a handful a year. I have older neighbors that love them so ill try to drop a nice fish off every so often.

As for decreasing of perch limits, I wouldn't mind a change as long as it was more lake specific and not just a blanket change. Categorize based on lake surface area or something if individual limits for each lake would be too complicated/ difficult. A lake such as LG can have guys taking 100s of perch everytime they are out and it wont make a dent on the population. on the flip side, doing that to a small body of water such as lake desolation would decimate that fishery.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2020, 10:21 AM »
Wow Joey....you could’ve written my reply for me. That’s just about exactly what I would’ve said.

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2020, 11:00 AM »
Depends on the body of water.

I would hate to see perch limit lowered on my home lake, lake George. I don’t love perch fishing but I live perch eating. I usually wait until last ice and devote a week to perch fishing. 250 perch gets me through the summer.

Walleye I like it the way it is.

On lake George I would love to see a slot for lakers. 2 at 18-23” and 1 over 32” or something like that.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2020, 11:27 AM »
I have a 10L dry bag. I stop when it is full. There are no limits on perch in Idaho- F&G surveys of my lake say fishing is not significant cause of mortality. It used to be full of tiny perch, then died off, now re-stocked. My bag holds 10-15 perch, depending on the size. Plenty for me to clean after a long day.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Depends on the body of water.

I would hate to see perch limit lowered on my home lake, lake George. I don’t love perch fishing but I live perch eating. I usually wait until last ice and devote a week to perch fishing. 250 perch gets me through the summer.

Walleye I like it the way it is.

On lake George I would love to see a slot for lakers. 2 at 18-23” and 1 over 32” or something like that.

Agreed here. If anything I feel like limits for perch could be increased without hurting the stock. There are so many stunted perch in that lake. why I snag so many little ones for fertilizer. Easy to catch, and helps thin out some of those stunted fish. I'd be interested in that laker slot limit as well. If it helps improve the fishery Im all for it. I don't eat lake trout often so its not an issue for me there and when I have tried it, I enjoy the little guys much more than the bigger fish. If I take a laker, i try to keep it under 25/26" anyway

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2020, 01:37 PM »
For me...it's all about the type (many variables) of water and the the amount of fishing pressure the lake gets. I ice fish primarily private to semi-private lakes that have a good turnover rate of growing big (pannie) fish. I like to catch...and keep...big fish. It's not an issue. So I do. But in the case of lakes where there is a lot of of fishing pressure and growth rate is long term...then one needs to be selective. One scenario where creel limits and size was administered was Lake Erie. For many years, it was a "pretty good" lake to get to get a limit of Wallleye...but you had to work for them. Now? It's phenomenal. MDNR has done a great job of making it the best Walleye fishery in the world. And recent reports say it is only going to get better. Anyway, got a little sidetracked here but, bottom line here, know your waters and the right thing to do to make it a quality fishery.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Hopefully its based on different lakes.   I myself only keep a few perch to eat. But I know of guys that catch pails full everyday and sell them in chaumont as no limit. 
Just enjoying life

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2020, 03:35 PM »
20 perch is all I really care to clean after a long day on the ice. And at that I usually give half the fillets away. Freezer fills up fast when I have the time to fish a couple times a weekend

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Generally I only take what I need for one meal. And 15 is usually the max for me, if I have to clean more than that it takes the fun out of a great day.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2020, 04:35 PM »
  Cleaning 25 good perch is enough and I don’t keep walleyes over 20” unless badly hooked , I do give a fair amount away to widows , buds that don’t fish anymore, , far as limits it should be by bodies of water some can handle no limits and others should have a limit , but these waters  need to be monitored as they can change relatively quick , meaning in a few years ,

Offline EBramer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2020, 10:59 PM »
For me, it all depends on what the day is going like. If it's a solid day I may only keep perch over 9 inches but if I'm catching a lot of ones around 7 inches that are a little thicker.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2020, 11:07 PM »
I try to limit out every time on perch. I take the kids out as well cause that's another limit we can keep. I try to but ko meat or fish from the store. I like to fill my freezer all winter I rarely ever open water fish. My personal opinion on perch limits is keep it at 50 per person I don't see the size or the numbers declining where I fish and a 20 fish limit you won't see as many guys out fishing certain bodies of water. I know if where I fish goes down to 20-25 fish per person I won't fish there in the winter time. To walk a mile- mile and a half for 20-25 fish that just isn't worth it to me. Our honey hole we would be in and out in less time that it took to get out there and set up. If the NYS dec wants to do something make it so I can use both buck tags during bow if I want to.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2020, 05:42 AM »
3 walleyes 16" - 18" and about a dozen perch is good for me.

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2020, 08:58 AM »
So I didn't venture too far in the weeds as far as if, why or when, but the daily perch limit was Lake Erie specific. Pretty sure they are trying to be more proactive, but imo reactive while looking over their shoulder to the Western Basin (which I believe has a 30 per day limit). Tough comparison in that it is also on the hook for around 90% of the commercial perch quota as well. DEC is also surveying anglers right now about increasing the walleye daily limit to 5 as well on Oneida.

So this subject came to mind from some of the fisherman in my circle. One in particular brought a platter of crappie to a gathering. Crappie that were caught 3 years prior...and tasted it as well. The other fisherman seemed neutral to it and also senselessly pack freezers. It's perplexing because these are great fisherman who catch at will rather than being opportunistic. Then this past fall I was out perch fishing and had a few brief conversations with other anglers at the launch who happily reported several daily limits of jumbos packing their freezers while bragging about "always have a freezer or two full".

Now I'm sure we all have "meat hunter" friends, but it just seems like lately it's been more about meat than sport (especially walleye). To each their own, but I have always looked at whichever body of water I lived near as my refrigerator. Just the quality of fresh on its own talks me out of freezing. Was just wondering if meat hunting was more the majority or minority.

Nevertheless, a lot of very unique harvesting especially to fertilize gardens. "What's the secret to your tomato sauce"-Perch guts!!!   

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:10 AM »
So I didn't venture too far in the weeds as far as if, why or when, but the daily perch limit was Lake Erie specific. Pretty sure they are trying to be more proactive, but imo reactive while looking over their shoulder to the Western Basin (which I believe has a 30 per day limit). Tough comparison in that it is also on the hook for around 90% of the commercial perch quota as well. DEC is also surveying anglers right now about increasing the walleye daily limit to 5 as well on Oneida.

So this subject came to mind from some of the fisherman in my circle. One in particular brought a platter of crappie to a gathering. Crappie that were caught 3 years prior...and tasted it as well. The other fisherman seemed neutral to it and also senselessly pack freezers. It's perplexing because these are great fisherman who catch at will rather than being opportunistic. Then this past fall I was out perch fishing and had a few brief conversations with other anglers at the launch who happily reported several daily limits of jumbos packing their freezers while bragging about "always have a freezer or two full".

Now I'm sure we all have "meat hunter" friends, but it just seems like lately it's been more about meat than sport (especially walleye). To each their own, but I have always looked at whichever body of water I lived near as my refrigerator. Just the quality of fresh on its own talks me out of freezing. Was just wondering if meat hunting was more the majority or minority.

Nevertheless, a lot of very unique harvesting especially to fertilize gardens. "What's the secret to your tomato sauce"-Perch guts!!!

My tomatoes and peppers are all very big fans  :roflmao: I'll chunk them up and put a 1-3 fish and inch or so below the plant. Never seem to find any remnants whenever I clean up all the pots in the fall. If you do try it, just a heads up that there is a bit of a smell for the first two or three days. Its not terrible but definitely can tell its fish haha. I like using pickerel too since they're prevalent or invasive in most lakes I fish. 

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Haha! Oh, I'll definitely be trying it and I hope there's a very distinct smell... I can't stand my next door neighbor haha.

If I had a Hattie's in my neck of the woods, I'd be eating a lot of vegetables to offset the amount of time I'd be spending in that beautiful mecca of fried chicken!

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:44 AM »
I fish Chaumont mostly and take 30-50 perch if I am lucky. That is enough for me to clean. Pike I like 5-8 for the year and let the big  mommas go back. I keep the 6-8 pounders. Walleyes I do not target but will keep the 4-7 pounders if lucky.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:30 PM »
When I panfish I'm trying to limit. 

Every.  Time. 

I dont fish at all in the summer.
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:20 AM »
When I panfish I'm trying to limit. 

Every.  Time. 

I dont fish at all in the summer.

My point exactly I try to limit every time and if the kids go we try to get as many limits as we are legally allowed to take. I fill the freezer for 1-3 months depending on ice conditions and that usally makes it most of the year. I open water fish maybe 5 times a year if I'm lucky usally only 1 or 2 times with the kids well we are camping
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:37 AM »
I love to eat most species of fish found in NY, and to be able to pull a ziploc bag of fillets out of the freezer throughout the year. I don't have time to fish open water, so I find it necessary to fill those ziplocs for freezing during ice season.

Pike fillets are always the majority of what gets frozen, and if I do get lucky enough to get the occasional limit or perch or crappie, most get fried up within 2 days of catching for a family of 3 to enjoy. I fish almost exclusively on Lake Champlain and so I never worry that I am putting fish numbers in decline by taking limits on a lake this enormous
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:43 AM »
I love to eat most species of fish found in NY, and to be able to pull a ziploc bag of fillets out of the freezer throughout the year. I don't have time to fish open water, so I find it necessary to fill those ziplocs for freezing during ice season.

Pike fillets are always the majority of what gets frozen, and if I do get lucky enough to get the occasional limit or perch or crappie, most get fried up within 2 days of catching for a family of 3 to enjoy. I fish almost exclusively on Lake Champlain and so I never worry that I am putting fish numbers in decline by taking limits on a lake this enormous

Thats my problem I usally work 6days a week from ice out to opening day of deer season. So only time I have to fish is all winter

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:38 PM »
3 walleyes is great on  oneida  but  other places  5  ........as far as  perch  are you kidding me  lake  erie  and ontario commercial fishery takes  more  perch  for the fish market then  all of  us  take in a  season all together .....leave  the limits and  if you want to limit your  catch  go ahead and  do it  if  brad wants to fill  his  freezer  let him.....

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2020, 05:01 AM »
3 walleyes 16" - 18" and about a dozen perch is good for me.
I love how all you Oneida guys talk about these 15-18” walleye. Most places I fish for eyes the min size is 18”.
But there is no problem with the quantity of fish caught daily on the pan fish I feel. We do have major problems with size of people’s catch. <7” perch should go back and grow another year. I try to  limit every time on ice on perch and try to keep only 10s+ the 9” males are great too. Smaller then that and it’s almost not worth dirtying the knife. Lol my 2 sense. And the walleye limits and sizes need to be adjusted.
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2020, 05:21 AM »
(Ben) I fish waters that  call for 18” min on eyes  I still don’t keep those bigger ones , that’s a personal choice, IMO those 10+# Ontario eyes take great pictures  , and over the years I’ve eaten lots of 8” perch , again it  depends on the body of water you fish
   Oneida  it’s not designed to be a trophy lake , so the regs it has are just fine , Oneida is an amazing fishery and for a lake that size to have at least a million adults is awesome , and I have my own opinion on the bag limit on Oneida
 There are only 2 netters left on chaumount
 There use to be several more , they haven’t even put a dent in lake Ontario’s perch population  , they have been netting  before I was born , netters have regs to where they are allowed to  net
  Far as hook and line guys there is an age old saying  10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2020, 06:22 AM »
If I want to clean fish I will keep fish up to the legal limit of the body of water I am on. If I do not feel like cleaning fish they'll all go back. I typically do not mind cleaning fish and will be gifting many packages of fall caught perch in the next week before starting on the ice hopefully in January. I don't eat many frozen fish so gifting to hunting friends and guys at work that love them any way they can get them is my choice and the pics of them eating them with a thank you is enough to keep me catching and cleaning. Not to mention the freezer raids my kids put on from time to time. Funny how they all know what a backstrap package looks like.

Offline Fishenebros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:00 AM »
Good morning,

Brand new to the forum, but need to post for conditions, and I'm here to learn. I typically don't keep more than 20-30 fish on any outing. I will keep a limit of eyes, but perch crappie, and gills, are typically no more than 15 a piece. On bigger waters, I may bump it up a little, but I've never kept a limit. I have slots for each species - perch 9+, crappie 9-12, and gills 7-10. Eyes are based on the body of water, but I won't keep anything over 24.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:09 AM »

Welcome Fishenebros
 To a great site
 If you put a general location down , its easier to try and answer any questions you may have

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:31 AM »
Oneida is definitely it's own economic engine. The 15" limit helps to keep it going.

When I fish the SLR in the summer I keep larger eyes. Seems like most of those fish are 22"-24". There is a noticeable difference in the flavor. Some of my family actually prefer those fish over Oneida.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2020, 09:33 AM »
When it comes to panfish I only keep them a few times a year, maybe one day a year. The rest of the time I release them. The reason for that is because I don't want to fillet a handful of panfish, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Medium size fish like trout and walleye are a different story. If I take 30-40 perch a year that doesn't stress the population hardly at all. I've met a few other people who do that as well- they spend a weekend catching a years worth of fish. But some people are just greedy. So I understand why some people would want to reduce bag limits on perch and crappies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.