New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Not biting like they should....  (Read 3881 times)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not biting like they should....
« on: Feb 03, 2006, 07:26 AM »
I know there's not a lot of ice to be fishing on, but seems to me like even in the spots there is ice that the bite is way off, for whatever species we're targeting.

I've been on a couple other web pages for this area and it seems nobody is getting into a lot of big panfish, good sized pike, etc.  Some of you guys have been up here to Chippewa, Goose Bay, Perch Lake and nobody is reporting any good catches.  My luck so far this year has been terrible and I've never fished harder.

Anybody got any good stories to tell about good catches so far this year??  How about a theory about why the fish aren't as active this year as in years past??
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Not biting like they should....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:19 AM »
The fishing seems to be about normal for mid season here in the southern adirondacks... its actually been a little better than normal IMHO.
Considering the crazy weather, lakes freezing then thawing then freezing... all the run off... it stands to reason that the fishing might suffer, but then again you can find active fish on most waters at anytime of day or night or season  ;)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:26 AM »
Wow!!!  I'm glad to hear somebody out there is having luck...I know the Chaumont Bay area is just about dead quiet as far as catching anything of any size, guess it's just this area this year.

Thanks for the input thus far guys, I might have to start traveling around some more.....tight lines!!!!!

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:33 AM »
This is my first season with a vex fl-18! ;D It's amazing, however, I am seeing more fish than I am catching! :-\

I've been fishing Madison County Reservoirs this winter and have had mixed success. The bite seems to be a little slow this year unlike last year. I have tried every jig and bait in my arsenal but nothing seems to work or attract more attention. I love the vex but it's frustrating to see fish swim up to the lure, "sniff", then swim away!

I'm hoping by cutting numerous holes and fishing different depths I'll hit the honey hole soon! ;D

At least were fishing!

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:44 AM »
esox slayer,

I used to fish the St. Lawerence all the time since I grew up in Alex Bay, and then moved to Norwood and fished in Waddington all the time.  The pike fishing has declined every year on the river to the point where I don't even really try for them anymore.  I talk to a lot of my friends who still fish down there and they all have, or are about ready to give up pike fishing on the St. Law.  I think as the pike fishing declined, the walleye fishing has picked up down stream from where your fishing.  They are tough to target in the 1000 islands though (I never even caught one until I started fishing in the waddington area).  I've been doing really well in the Adirondacks this year, so I don't think its the year, but where your fishing.  I'd suggest trying the indian river lakes out (if theres enought ice), or trying to find the walleyes. 

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:52 AM »
Pikie...I myself am not fishing on the river...I'm targeting the waters of Chaumont Bay.  I've landed some nice pike this year, very few small ones, but the frequency of flags just isn't the same as years past.  The bite was real good for northerns until the ice went out of the big bay earlier this winter, but the past 3 weeks and I'm seeing or reading thats it's slow all over, with the exception of the couple guys on here who have commented the "bite " was good or better than usual.

I know they started stocking Chippewa with pike a few years back and the fishery is gaining ground there again.  I agree the pike fishing is worse than in years past, I can remember pulling in good lunkers on a frequent basis 20 plus years ago down there and now they're getting more scarce.  I'm not talking about chippewa with that comment, I'm talking about the river.....

If we get the good cold weather and the ice starts setting up again, I think the bite may pick up.  I want to target the walleyes through the ice but need ice on the waters they're in first...Esox....

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:43 AM »
I think the fish are tight lipped because they know Pondpro and his buddy are close to getting their driver's licenses and will be more mobile. When that happens the fish don't stand a chance. :whistle:
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:47 AM »
these guys have really got a bunch of us stirred up don't they??  I know I'd like to tell them a few things and probably will in a pm, but not on the open forum....even though I was young and dumb once, I knew my place when I was surrounded by big dogs......something todays kids need to get a handle on........cause there's certainly a lot of "big dogs" on here........PP and CS...you listening?????

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:50 AM »
They're kids. I hope when they get to know the taste of crow they realize there's a lesson in it.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline perchslayer25

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Workin' is over rated, instead im fishing
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2006, 10:47 AM »
 I think the weather has something to do with bite being off. To much change from cold to warm. I went up to buttersfield and perch lake last week. I got really excited when the first fish i pulled up was a nice 12'' jack perch. But i got excited to fast because after that I only caught a few other fish at both lakes. I tried every color size and jigging technique but they just were not cooperating that day. The only place i had good luck this year was at big bay. Caught some nice gills and seeds that were all monsters(8-11''),and some nice night bite crappies that were in the 9-14" range. Tight lines everyone :tipup:
If your electronics do not say MarCum you're already too far behind me to catch up!

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:16 AM »
ive never seen a 11 inch gill
                                                i need to see pic;s
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:19 AM »
im nothing like him
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:07 AM »
well about 2 weeks ago we got good jacks to bite  & to bad it was a shame to go in when the walleye started biteing  on the lake i fish      & now it seams nothing but dinks  perch are biteing on my lake there everywhere  you drill a hole  allmost anywhere & there they will be  I dont know if they hear you drill a hole  & go  there to see what will be comeing down the hole  LOL    I remember lake moraine  was like that   my vex would lite up from top to bottem  & then i look in the hole & see them stareing up @ me LOL

Steve
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:07 PM »
these guys have really got a bunch of us stirred up don't they??  I know I'd like to tell them a few things and probably will in a pm, but not on the open forum....even though I was young and dumb once, I knew my place when I was surrounded by big dogs......something todays kids need to get a handle on........cause there's certainly a lot of "big dogs" on here........PP and CS...you listening?????
     You are so right. They are just misguided souls among the Ice. They need a mentor to take them under their wing and show them the way like Kung-Fu did for grasshopper. Esox, I think that would be the job for you. Take them under your wing and show them your great spots. You dont have to worry about competing for the "best fisherman" title because you already know they will outfish anyone. That alone takes off all the pressure. Talk later,
    Jeffrey

(Only Kidding)

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:18 PM »
there bitting just fine in chenago county  ;D
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Hey CS22...after you read my PM tell me how well "there" biting down that way......thanks .......

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:58 PM »
I'm moving to Chenango county, as long as the fishings like this.....

crappieslayer22
IceShanty Rookie

if ur catching fish dont move to find fish

extrmpaintball22

Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: esox slayer on: Today at 05:55 PM »
   Reply with quote | Reply | Remove this message
the ice is just fine pp is retarted im pulling 20 inch browns and rainbows out of the ice 13 inch crappie's  125 inch pickrals and 12 inch perch

Guess the ice is good down there, I'll have to try it out......

dwayne

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:00 PM »
You need to go to ColoRaDO.  They get MOnsTERS THERE, LIKE 13" gills and stuff.  At least that's what this kid who's a lot like you was telling us.  :D

come on be nice to the overly-sentitive kids from the west....

As far as the hitting....The walleye in my favorite walleye pond have been extremely slow this year.  The perch have been better than usual though.....Crappie fished for the first time Saturday evening and they were cooperative..

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:28 PM »
i ment 25 inch pickral :-[
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:29 PM »
What is a Pickral ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:57 PM »
a chain pickral
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

dwayne

« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:25 AM »
a chain pickral

let me help

chain pickerel...

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Wow what a formal bunch, plenty of typos and mistakes to correct, better get busy.
I for one have seen plenty of 11 inch gills. had a stringer full of 10 + this spring.
You folks are worked up, sure theres ice? ???
Been seeing some people w/o ice getting chippy, some folks always have a negative comment!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

dwayne

« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:52 PM »
Wow what a formal bunch, plenty of typos and mistakes to correct, better get busy.
I for one have seen plenty of 11 inch gills. had a stringer full of 10 + this spring.
You folks are worked up, sure theres ice? ???
Been seeing some people w/o ice getting chippy, some folks always have a negative comment!

plenty of ice on this side of the state to fish on.  no complaints here.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:49 PM »
No compalints???
Looks like some young bucks got some of ya all bent out of shape. Good luck fishing!
Been fishing every weekend except one due to weather and the birth of my son!
Bite has been slow compared to years past!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

bonkfan14

« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:13 PM »
the biggest gill iv ever seen is 10 1/2 and i target these fish all the time...zeke

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:37 PM »
The biggest gill i caught was 9"1/2 and that was in the begging of the year, And now there biting slow from all the temperature changes. And i haven't been being bad the last time i was, It was like two week ago, and just b/c CS22 says something doesn't mean i have been saying the same thing so please don't compare him to me.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline bigbay crappie buster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:29 PM »
when there in bigbay on oniedia lake you can get 8-11 inch gills and sunfish and even a few 13 inch crappies.
fill your buckets with quality not quantity and enjoy the conversations over heard of how good a fisherman you are................... ....

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:13 AM »
Yeah A buddy has the photo, need to get it from him, We fish a quaker in the spring with some guys from MFF and we had a bunch a big fish,first fish caught was a nice 13 inch crappy thought we would hit a school.
Plenty of big walleye in lake erie about 20 mins from my house, also seen some 14 lbs taken of quinte in canada thru the ice, buddy got them mounted chasing perch.
I know I also need to see photos to believe some things, hopefully we can get out on it soon and get some points for NY.

Jean Cocteau

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2006, 02:07 PM »
heres Bigredonice  with a big gill i think it was 12" long but i must be mistaken because I remember it weighing 15oz unless it was 1lb 15 oz     hopefully he gets on here and verify's the actual length/weight :)

I don't remember the weight, but it was just a hair under 11 inches...its funny, my 3 pb gills have come from that place, but I never fish there anymore. ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.