New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: maggots  (Read 3201 times)

Offline mhtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
maggots
« on: Mar 22, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Was wondering what the best way to keep maggots alive for a period of time. I have them in the fridge at about 36 to 40 deg. was just wondering. I would like to know can you give them any thing to help keep them firm, not sure looking for advice on keeping them long term due to they are hard to come by in spring and summer unless you leave your garbage laying around in the heat and wife is not to keen on that. Thanks

Offline Aug16

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: maggots
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I double bag them and make sure all the air is out of the bags.  I go through them occasionally and take the dead ones out.  Double bag and fridge seems to work for me. I'm curious too hear some tricks other guys use.
Hard work beats talent, When talent doesn't work hard....

Brooksy

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:30 PM »
I've had better luck keeping mine in a bait puck in room temp.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:04 PM »
I found a vial in the fridge last August that was there from the winter.  Only a few brown ones. 

Offline denny13126

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig your heart out!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2014, 10:38 PM »
ive actually had them last months just sitting in the fridge one time i found a container and they had actually turned to flys.. big suckers too.
it's all about finesse! tight lines and clean holes!

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Was wondering what the best way to keep maggots alive for a period of time. I have them in the fridge at about 36 to 40 deg. was just wondering. I would like to know can you give them any thing to help keep them firm, not sure looking for advice on keeping them long term due to they are hard to come by in spring and summer unless you leave your garbage laying around in the heat and wife is not to keen on that. Thanks

Tip # 1.   35 to 39 degrees is optimum to keep spikes healthy and dormant.
Tip # 2.   Zip Lock bags are NOT the best way to keep your maggots alive and fresh.
               A plastic container with a locking lid, similar to Tupperware and well vented by
               poking holes in the lid will be your best bet.
Tip # 3     Change the saw dust frequently but DO NOT use saw dust from pressure treated
               wood, yellow pine, willow or other sap or chemical emitting woods.
                Ash, Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Birch, Poplar or other hardwoods are best.
Tip # 4     If you can't find good sawdust, you can reuse the old sawdust by sifting out the
                maggots and letting the sawdust air dry for a few hours.
Tip # 5     Don't put your maggots in a refrigerator that is used on a regular basis every
                day.   The temperature fluctuates too much and your maggots will become
                active, cocoon and die.   A small dorm fridge works best.
Tip # 6      If this all seems like a big hassle, it is.   My suggestion is to use plastic baits !
                Leave the maggots in the trash can ! ;) ;D

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2014, 04:58 AM »
Tip # 1.   35 to 39 degrees is optimum to keep spikes healthy and dormant.
Tip # 2.   Zip Lock bags are NOT the best way to keep your maggots alive and fresh.
               A plastic container with a locking lid, similar to Tupperware and well vented by
               poking holes in the lid will be your best bet.
Tip # 3     Change the saw dust frequently but DO NOT use saw dust from pressure treated
               wood, yellow pine, willow or other sap or chemical emitting woods.
                Ash, Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Birch, Poplar or other hardwoods are best.
Tip # 4     If you can't find good sawdust, you can reuse the old sawdust by sifting out the
                maggots and letting the sawdust air dry for a few hours.
Tip # 5     Don't put your maggots in a refrigerator that is used on a regular basis every
                day.   The temperature fluctuates too much and your maggots will become
                active, cocoon and die.   A small dorm fridge works best.
Tip # 6      If this all seems like a big hassle, it is.   My suggestion is to use plastic baits !
                Leave the maggots in the trash can ! ;) ;D

I agree with everything except the last statement. LOL This year I actually bought mine from ebay in November - and I am STILL using the same batch! Oh ya, and that's after I accidently froze them....little buggers thawed out and are still wriggling around! I keep mine in the spare frige in the garage - just be sure to warn the wife NOT to open that container! LOL  ;) Tight Lines! Be Safe  :tipup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:33 AM »
I found a vial in the fridge last August that was there from the winter.  Only a few brown ones.

kinda makes me wonder  what else  is  lost  in your  fridge!

you  don't need  sawdust   you  can  use  oat meal  ....and opening a  door  isn't going to  make  them active  ......what  I  don't get is  why  try to  keep spikes a  long period anyways????  they are  cheap  just  buy  fresh  once  in awhile 

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:17 AM »
what  I  don't get is  why  try to  keep spikes a  long period anyways?  they are  cheap  just  buy  fresh  once  in awhile

This is why I leave mine out. I use mine up in a couple days and the more lively they are, the more attractive they appear.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:55 AM »
what  I  don't get is why  try to  keep spikes a  long period anyways?  they are  cheap  just  buy  fresh  once  in awhile

This is why I leave mine out. I use mine up in a couple days and the more lively they are, the more attractive they appear.
Some people do buy them in bulk bags of 1000 or 5000  ::) ::)

kinda makes me wonder  what else  is  lost  in your  fridge!

you  don't need  sawdust   you  can  use  oat meal ....and opening a  door  isn't going to  make  them active  ......what  I  don't get is  why  try to  keep spikes a  long period anyways????  they are  cheap  just  buy  fresh  once  in awhile 
You can use toilet paper too but like oatmeal, it absorbs moisture too fast and will shorten the life of the maggots if not changed on a regular basis.
   Also, a refrigerator door that is opened and closed on a regular basis allows the temperature to fluctuate too much which creates poor conditions for keeping spike fresh.   
  Maybe we should always check with the resident expert on everything know to man before asking a question or answering one ! ::)

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2014, 01:37 PM »
On my last outing last week (I'm surf fishing in FL now) I gave them away.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Some people do buy them in bulk bags of 1000 or 5000  ::) ::)
You can use toilet paper too but like oatmeal, it absorbs moisture too fast and will shorten the life of the maggots if not changed on a regular basis.
   Also, a refrigerator door that is opened and closed on a regular basis allows the temperature to fluctuate too much which creates poor conditions for keeping spike fresh.   
  Maybe we should always check with the resident expert on everything know to man before asking a question or answering one ! ::)

your  reaching  with  oat meal  and  a temp  fluctuating   from opening  a  door  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:(were  talking  maggots  here  not a  new  born )

you  can't  bs  a  bser  son  but nice  try  ......

and  it's  not a  matter  of  knowing  everything    it's a  matter  of  being  smart  enough  to toss  old  maggots  outta  yer  fridge  :) 

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • U.S. Navy Active Duty Photojournalist
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Opening and closing the fridge will make the temp fluctuate in the fridge, but not in the container.

The biggest concern aside from keeping them cold is to deprive them of oxygen. This helps keep them dormant. Double ziplock bags or a sealing container WITHOUT air holes, but only if the container is full - you don't want any extra air space inside.

I used to do competitive euro-style match fishing which had me buying maggots 10k at a time.
Good Luck & Good Fishing!

Jon

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2014, 05:03 AM »
Opening and closing the fridge will make the temp fluctuate in the fridge, but not in the container.
The temperature fluctuations creates condensation inside of any container which in turn, will shorten the life of the maggots unless tended to on a regular basis to keep dry sawdust in the containers.   It only takes about 30 minutes above the 40 degree mark for the maggots to start their cocooning process.   When the temp drops, it stops the process.  With the door being opened constantly, this repeated process shortens their life span or kills them
The biggest concern aside from keeping them cold is to deprive them of oxygen. This helps keep them dormant. Double ziplock bags or a sealing container WITHOUT air holes, but only if the container is full - you don't want any extra air space inside.

I used to do competitive euro-style match fishing which had me buying maggots 10k at a time.
I supplied spikes, mousee's and wax worms to the bait shops and pet shops from Central NY to the Thousand Islands area and as far East as Utica and West to Geneva.  At any given time, I had between 250,000 and 1,000,000 spikes in stock depending on the season.   It's safe to say that I have a bit more experience in the proper care and handling of live maggots than the average fisherman  ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2014, 05:08 AM »
so  you  sell maggots ????  and  this  entitles  you  to a  nobel peace  prize  or  something????

you  do realize  your  the  only  person  to  ever   bring  up  this  fridge  door  thing  ....  you  do know  in order  for  it  to cool properly  you need  to  plug it in  and  pay  your  bill  right ...... 

oh  and   most  large  bait  distrubators  keep  the  spikes  in a  cooler  anyways  :roflmao:

this  guys  got  to be  gamma  right?????????

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Keep them in the fridge and they last almost forever,leave them in your pocket for over night and they will turn to little brown caccoons.they do seem to shrink over time.

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • U.S. Navy Active Duty Photojournalist
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Does red text make me right?

If your container is sealed instead of poking holes, condensation is not an issue either.

From Ja-da bait's website. Been buying from them for well over a decade. They sell nationwide.

Spikes are the larvae of the Bluebottle Fly. They also are an excellent bait for panfish and trout. They are underrated as a summer bait and often can be the most effective bait in your arsenal, especially during light bites. They ship well in the summer months despite their reputation of being intolerant of warm temperatures.  HOLD IN THE DOUBLE ZIPLOCK BAGS at 33 to 40 degrees for best results. Again, use a small container to take only what you will use for the day. Constant swings in temperature can contibute to early pupation, a reddish brown shell.  Cold temperatures plus  restricted air produce best results. Do not give Spikes the unlimited air supply that you would Waxworms.This is the reason for the ziplock bags, to control air supply.

Good Luck & Good Fishing!

Jon

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:20 PM »
The biggest concern aside from keeping them cold is to deprive them of oxygen. This helps keep them dormant. Double ziplock bags or a sealing container WITHOUT air holes, but only if the container is full - you don't want any extra air space inside.      Nuf said!!

Offline hardwaterB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2014, 05:13 PM »
the easiest solution is buy a jar of Gulp Bait spikes.have the same jar for 2 years now.if they start to dry out just add some water from a can of tuna and your good to go.perch and pannies love these as much as the real thing. :thumbsup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2014, 06:19 PM »
i  use  the  gulp  alive  too   i  do  have  to  admit  i  didn't  know  about  depriving  them  of  oxygen  i  have  always  punched  holes  in  the  containers  thanks  for  the  tips   guys

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Another tip on the plastics which I also love. Just about any fish slime seems to help.
(I think or its just more confidence on my part)
Put your catch in the bucket, after a couple & 30-40 mins pull fish out of bucket.
Tip it slightly and you have that little bit of water mixed with slime. Often resembles runny snot.
I pour it into a tube container I often store spikes, waxies, or egg sacs in then dip my jig with plastics on into it for a few seconds whenever I pull it up.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Does red text make me right?

If your container is sealed instead of poking holes, condensation is not an issue either.

From Ja-da bait's website. Been buying from them for well over a decade. They sell nationwide.

Spikes are the larvae of the Bluebottle Fly. They also are an excellent bait for panfish and trout. They are underrated as a summer bait and often can be the most effective bait in your arsenal, especially during light bites. They ship well in the summer months despite their reputation of being intolerant of warm temperatures.  HOLD IN THE DOUBLE ZIPLOCK BAGS at 33 to 40 degrees for best results. Again, use a small container to take only what you will use for the day. Constant swings in temperature can contibute to early pupation, a reddish brown shell.  Cold temperatures plus  restricted air produce best results. Do not give Spikes the unlimited air supply that you would Waxworms.This is the reason for the ziplock bags, to control air supply.

The maggot grower that supplies Ja-Da Baits, ships the spikes to them in single zip lock bags with pin holes all across the top of the bags.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:18 AM »
this guy  is a maggotologist   ::) ;D   

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:43 AM »
question....why is it that the spikes that you buy are always from the blue bottle fly? why not from any other large fly? I have seen large green ones and the big grey house flies that always seem to appear between my interior door and storm door.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:41 AM »
the gulp bait doesnt wiggle like a properly hooked spike.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2014, 09:29 AM »
thats  true  missy  but that  gulp live waxies  work  .....i carry a  jar with me  if  i run out of spikes  i'm golden

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Well you know what they say ...if it works don't fix it  ;)

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I buy a few hundred at a time, that way they are always freshest. When they are no longer available at your fav shop the time to still use them is over (: Its not about saving $$$ for me (as in buying bulk) its more about having a good time when being out

Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:01 PM »
question....why is it that the spikes that you buy are always from the blue bottle fly? why not from any other large fly? I have seen large green ones and the big grey house flies that always seem to appear between my interior door and storm door.
A few things.    First....They're a thicker skinned maggot compared to the common house fly's or those large green fly's.    They all will work but the Blue Bottle Fly larva is tough compared to others.
  Blue Bottle fly larva grow faster and they readily consumes heavy doses of oily fish meat (mostly salmon carcasses) without dying real fast.   The fish oils kills off the other larva too fast.
   Blue Bottle Larva let off a very heavy ammonia odor that seems to attract fish.
Over the years, it's proven to be the best larva to raise as bait for the above reason and others .

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:06 PM »
I buy a few hundred at a time, that way they are always freshest. When they are no longer available at your fav shop the time to still use them is over (: Its not about saving $$$ for me (as in buying bulk) its more about having a good time when being out

Tom

larry  keeps  me  pretty well supplied all summer  .......I think you  even know  him  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.