New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: TO OLD  (Read 2037 times)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
TO OLD
« on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:30 PM »
what is to old to fish???,at 74 this year,i donot think i am to OLD,BUT today i ice fished the hudson river
and did not feel "right"-anxiety??? i donot know,i have fished the tide waters from about 1948,with my
2x6x8 and spud,???
 :( :( :(
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
Re: TO OLD
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:38 PM »
THANKS,
i have also fished in parish ny.good place to fish
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Your not old. I saw a thread on here this year of 88 year old still fish. Good luck!

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2013, 03:37 PM »
never to old to fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:15 PM »
I thought that I was old 72yrs sometime it feels like 100

Offline hardwaterB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:40 PM »
my dad was 74 last year and still fishing.our last outing in march last year,he fell on the ice and broke his wrist.thought for sure he would be all done but we still have been getting him out this year.hopefully this weekend too. never give up.

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:03 PM »
hope im out at ur age.keep truckin bud!!! :)

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Fishing keeps you young. I am sure there is some one on here that would love to tag along with you. I love hunting and fishing with your generation. I learn more than any tv show or magazine.

Offline Moonshine mike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bulldog!!! Got 1
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Good man pops! Love you guys. I'd love to hear some stories aBout fishing in upstate NY.  Keep going and remember you have to set the hook a little bit quicker.   Ol guys rule!

Offline zAc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:19 PM »
RAT your on the internet you can be a 100  or 25  ;D you out do a lot of us young bucks ;)

Offline OneidaSteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:21 PM »
I love hearing about the good old days. To tell the truth at 31 most of my friends have a decade or better on me. Just love good times with good friends-- nothing beats it!!  FISH ON

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Your still good to fish.  Heck I have a friend of the family that just stopped fishing altogether a little over 80 or so.  The only reason is due to virtego and not being able to wade streams anymore.  Keep going your got plenty of days of fishing left, just dont go for the polar plunge.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:12 PM »
never give up

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2013, 10:42 PM »
keep fishing your not to old.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:06 PM »
never too old to enjoy gods creation
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2013, 03:10 AM »
Never to old.  Keep on fishing.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 AM »
in  fulton  there  is a  old  man  that  was  fishing when i was  a  child ,  we  use  to  call him  the  cackler  because  he would  be  in a  tent  shanty  laughing  saying  he  "he  just  couldn't  keep  the  gillies  off  the  hook"  2  years  ago  i seen him perch fishing  oswego  river  in fulton!  walking  down the wall  ...must  be  in his  90's  now  ....... made  me smile  i could  hear  him still talking  to himself ...... hey  thanks  God!  that  made  me feel good  !  so  rat when your  feeling  old  ,remeber  yer a  youngster  compaired  to  the  old  cackler!  so keep doing what  ya  love 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:48 AM »
what is to old to fish???,at 74 this year,i donot think i am to OLD,BUT today i ice fished the hudson river
and did not feel "right"-anxiety??? i donot know,i have fished the tide waters from about 1948,with my
2x6x8 and spud,???
RAT

You are not to old by any means.  Age is only a number.  By the way thanks for sharing your knowledge of the Mohawk with my buddy Ed, much appreciated!

Offline CNY Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Rat, I hope I am still on top at your age and I don't mean on top the ice,  ;D.  So glad to hear your are still so passionate about your hobbies!!!  Keep after them with a vengeance and you will be able to continue fishing for years to come.  Staying active now will pay great dividends in the future, keep giving them sore lips as often as you can get out there  ;D!!!  Best of luck to you with all your angling adventures, may you feel the tug on your line for many years to come :).
Retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:03 AM »
What is old?
Master Laker taker.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:26 AM »
hey RAT  a good friend of mine just passed   he was 86  and he went with me alot..... he took me and im 69..    his favorite saying was ,"   LIVE A LONG TIME BUT DONT EVER GET OLD!!     lol,,,,,       keep strokin my friend   we all have those days but when we make it thru and we ,re back out there and back again    ,,    we wonder why we ever  wondered about it to begin with.   
youngster

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I wish Rat would get some one over there to post some pictures for him, or show him how... ;D ;D  If he had a scanner and coppied some old pictures from years past and posted them I think we would all be in AWE...
Keep going mister.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline scojoe_1999

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Never too old

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:52 AM »
Keep on fishin' RAT. Never too old!  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline nilsuser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2013, 01:20 PM »
NAH, you're not too old. I met a man fishing with his buddies on the ice a few years ago and he was 81 yrs. young.  I could walk faster than he could run to his flags, but there he was. When he got a flag they yelled "Davey, you got a flag up". He said 'ayah' and stood there. They said it again louder so he could hear......and he 'ran' to the trap and got his fish.  He told me he couldn't navigate rocky jettys anymore and couldn't trout fish in the spring. He missed getting some fresh trout. Somewhere along in the conversation he told me where he lived. That following spring my son and I caught our limit of trout so we stopped by his house on the way home and let him pick how many he wanted. He was thrilled to get them, and we felt pretty good too. So no, you're not too old.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2013, 01:31 PM »
This past Sunday, in the middle of a lake in Sullivan County, in freezing temps and howling (60 MPH) winds, my buddy Johnny (Squid Boy) turned to me and said "ARE WE NUTS, DOING THIS AT OUR AGE??"   What age, I asked him?  I'LL STOP ICE FISHING WHEN THEY THROW THE DIRT IN MY FACE, AND NOT BEFORE!!!

I'm 70 in three days, and Squid Boy is 73!!   Don't worry about it Rat.....we've all got a LOOOOONG way to go !!!

IceBalls

Offline milo44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:52 PM »
I hope I can still get out there when I am your age....  would love to fish with someone like you that has fished for so long just to here some of the stories. And maybe get a little knowledge....

Offline jigumup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to Fish Forced to Work!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Rat get out every single day and then come home and tell us all about it cause we couldn't go cause  we had to work! Enjoy it! 

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 PM »
My best fishing buddy, 84 years old and a catfish catching fool.

cny

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:01 AM »
2x6x8 and spud,???
RAT
you are not old, till you say your old. this years ice is giving everybody the heebie geebies.your not getting old your just getting smarter  :) with age comes wisdom young man. I have a 92 year old friend who tends his bees, lives alone, cooks, houskeeps and drives does he get anxious ...sure he does he's not an idiot  ;D. you just have to shake a little harder, to shake it off

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.