New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: CRUZIN' THE SHANTY  (Read 7492 times)

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
CRUZIN' THE SHANTY
« on: Aug 01, 2005, 11:05 AM »
I cant wait toget out on the ice.So what is everyone doing to get ready for the ice this year?

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
Re: CRUZIN' THE SHANTY
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Actually I was watching some old ice fishing videos from 1990 can't wait and can't stand the heat! Thinking about building another ice sled lite weight out of PVC pipe and make it 16'' high for deep snow .The lake I fish you have to drag all youre gear out by hand no snowmobiles or vehicles allowed.Would also like to pick up a vexlar fish finder and this year going to trap shiners early in the fall bait shops are out of control at$6.00 a dozen for shiners not paying that this year.
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2005, 08:53 AM »
Praying that the weather cools down and Lake George freezes before christmas  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

camo_fish

« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2005, 04:12 AM »
Praying that the weather cools down and Lake George freezes before christmas  ;D
That is some wishful thinking. That is like asking hell to freeze over.  :D

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2005, 06:27 AM »
Debating the upgrade from FL-8 to FL-18.......
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

camo_fish

« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2005, 09:29 PM »
Debating the upgrade from FL-8 to FL-18.......
If you up grade, I may know someone that could use a nice used FL-8.  ;D

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2005, 09:42 PM »
i for one have had enough of the heat... i have been lurking here for a couple weeks now to see if there has been much activity... hoping that if i start viewing the ice site that the ice will actually come faster...lol

i am so ready!

;)2  :woot:

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2005, 05:34 AM »
That is an awesome pic, Oak! I saved that one.
I saw Fred at Rite-Aid yesterday and we may be heading out sometime soon...

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2005, 10:37 AM »
I'm starting to get the itch. It usually hits REALLY bad in October.

I will be looking to get a Vexilar though. I feel incomplete without one and have virtually everything else except numbers of fish on the ice. Gotta get one of them.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Actually I was watching some old ice fishing videos from 1990 can't wait and can't stand the heat! Thinking about building another ice sled lite weight out of PVC pipe and make it 16'' high for deep snow .The lake I fish you have to drag all youre gear out by hand no snowmobiles or vehicles allowed.Would also like to pick up a vexlar fish finder and this year going to trap shiners early in the fall bait shops are out of control at$6.00 a dozen for shiners not paying that this year.

Hey, how's about some pics of that sled... and maybe some plans! ;D

Offline dgriff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2005, 12:08 PM »
I bought a vexilar on e-bay
FL-8SE with dual beam transducer (never used) for $170 they list for $390.
cant wait to use it.

Offline dgriff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Mac
The battery and charger were included.
Shipping was $18

camo_fish

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I bought a vexilar on e-bay
FL-8SE with dual beam transducer (never used) for $170 they list for $390.
cant wait to use it.
wow that is a sell, WTG, I know you'll love it. It is like playing a video game.  ;)  ;D

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2005, 04:08 PM »
I was just looking at Keuka lake today.Looks like it may freeze up in about 4 months. I must be getting the itch for ice, I've been thinking about my equipment and making ice fishing comments to the sun lovers.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2005, 09:21 PM »
 ;) I've been wearing my ..I'd rather be ice fishing shirt ..since april..bring on the hardwater..i give coax. res.three and a half months..was on the res the day before x mas last year..priceless... ;)

Offline PikerDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2005, 04:17 PM »
Has anyone seen the Block 4x4 archery target commercial?It has Babe Winkleman sitting on the target jigging up some bluegill on the ice.
I'm almost more excited about ice fishing than deer hunting.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2005, 10:13 AM »
yeah i seen that one. it made me want to go get a block so i could go ice fishing now ;D

Offline Oz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2005, 08:33 PM »
Where on Keuka to you normaly ice fish and for what? I need to try some
other waters this year.

Offline ice walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2005, 09:37 AM »
I'm getting ready to put the boay away and get the hunting stuff out along with my shanty to make some changes, add a room I'm thinking

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2005, 09:54 AM »

I believe that happened once in the late 80's or early 90's

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:22 AM »
 Talk about getting itchy , boy I tell yea what , I've got a rash going! I just bought an Farbill iceranger at a garage sale , brought it home and sat in it for an hour! Bring on the ice!!!!   I'm ready!!!!
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2005, 05:36 PM »
I've been getting things ready for the Northern Challenge Ice Fishing Derby here in Tupper Lake.  I guess people liked the prizes I got last year so much I got the job again this year.  One of the prizes we have picked up already is the Muskie Hunt with Fish Doctor Charters.  Last year we gave away $36,000 in cash and prizes including 2 Arctic Cat 4x4, Mr Buddy heaters, camp stoves, power augers, Vex Lar fish finders and many more things.  Some of the members here showed up and I even gave Ice Shanty. com a plug.  Anyone with ideas for prizes is welcome to contact me at [email protected] 
Anyone wishing a registration form can get one at
  http://tupperlakerodgunsportsclub.bravehost.com/northern_challenge.htm
remember we cut off entries at 1200

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2005, 09:34 AM »
I've been getting things ready for the Northern Challenge Ice Fishing Derby here in Tupper Lake.  I guess people liked the prizes I got last year so much I got the job again this year.  One of the prizes we have picked up already is the Muskie Hunt with Fish Doctor Charters.  Last year we gave away $36,000 in cash and prizes including 2 Arctic Cat 4x4, Mr Buddy heaters, camp stoves, power augers, Vex Lar fish finders and many more things.  Some of the members here showed up and I even gave Ice Shanty. com a plug.  Anyone with ideas for prizes is welcome to contact me at [email protected] 
Anyone wishing a registration form can get one at
  http://tupperlakerodgunsportsclub.bravehost.com/northern_challenge.htm
remember we cut off entries at 1200

I fished the Derby for the first time last year.  Simply spectacular!  Didn't get a single flag, but the weather was great and the collection of prizes was phenomenal.  Great work!  See you again this winter, can't wait!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2005, 07:10 PM »
Glad to hear that you had a good time.  The 12 members of the club that put it on try hard to make it one of the best around.  Last year I believe that we made it to the top of the list as far as the biggest payout for a one day derby.  We paid out $800/hr for the fish, 2 4x4 Arctic cats, (cost $12000) $7000 in door prizes and about $4000 in 50-50 raffles.  Total it up and it comes out to about $29,000.

Would like to have a little get together with the members of Ice Shanty members that come after the derby. I know there were several there last year and think it would be great to meet some of the people face to face.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2005, 12:24 PM »
I cant wait toget out on the ice.So what is everyone doing to get ready for the ice this year?
My friend and I are building a portable Shanty out of 2x2's and 1/4" plywood with steel roofing to cut down on the weight so we can haul it out onto the ice with an ATV and hopfully be more mobile. The wall sections will lag onto 2x10" runners and will be bolted together in the corners ( with wingnuts ) then the roof section will bolt on top of the walls. That way we can take it apart in sections an stack it on a trailer to haul it to and from wherever. We have to trial and error it at home first to make sure it's not gonna be a major pain in the a$$ when it comes time to set up or take down in not so friendly weather.....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline ajwiez2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bullgills
« Reply #25 on: Oct 22, 2005, 09:04 PM »
the next job on my list of things to do is get all my ice gear ready and right out toward the front of the storage barn .I have two items on my want to get list and that is the Aqua view Scout and maybe a new auger the old one has been barrowed to many times and has always come back to me when it needs to be fixed again. Yep the new one is only going to have one operator , just me , sorry to say it has to be this way but I could have bought a new one all ready in what it has cost for the repairs of the old one to date over the last four years. I had an accident this spring and almost killed myself ,for real , and all I have thought about is if I was going to be able to go out ice fishing this year and not have to depend on anybody to go with me because I would be able to get my gear loaded and unloaded by myself and be able to haul it out on the ice . I am healing better than the doctors can believe and as good as I could hope for, with some PT and my determination I will be out there. Either that or the other half is going to be going with me to do the heavy stuff, and I don't think she is going to want to do that so I got to get better. RIGHT?????
grab the gaff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.