New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Indian Lake- Hamilton County  (Read 3050 times)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Indian Lake- Hamilton County
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:25 AM »
Has anyone been out there in the last week? How are the lake conditions? Are the driving conditions good for snowmobiles and atvs? We will be traveling the length of the lake from the parking area at the south end. Going camping this weekend and would like to know if I can bring both machines. We usually camp near 90 FOW  near Sabeal so information on that area near Baldface Mtn. would be most helpful.

Tight-lines  :tipup:

Offline tpeters

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Indian Lake- Hamilton County
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:44 AM »
Has anyone been out there in the last week? How are the lake conditions? Are the driving conditions good for snowmobiles and atvs? We will be traveling the length of the lake from the parking area at the south end. Going camping this weekend and would like to know if I can bring both machines. We usually camp near 90 FOW  near Sabeal so information on that area near Baldface Mtn. would be most helpful.

Tight-lines  :tipup:

Fished it yesterday. 12-14 inches of solid ice. Rode out on a Can Am 2up atv with two guys towing two large sleds full of gear. No issues at all. 3-4" of snow on top as of yesterday a lot of it windblown. Didn't get as far north as you will be heading. We were probably 2 miles north of the launch where the lake narrows down. Caught 3 lakers, two of them keepers, lost a nice keeper at the hole on an ultralight rod and a Hali. Hooked it while jigging smelt and he straightened the hook out just before we could get a gaff in the hole. Tons of smelt. A few perch.

Offline wildbrookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:44 AM »
tpeters..
  Good to hear that theres plenty of ice on Indian..glad you got into some nice lakers  and sorry you lost the whopper of the day.. ???...you would`ve iced it if you had caught it on a tip-up or any other  jig stick thats not used for smelting...sucks when that happens.... did you see any browns being caught?

WB ;)

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Is there any public access around Sabael ?

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:13 PM »
i have parked at the restaurant before and taken the sled down the trail to the lake.

Offline tpeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:32 PM »
tpeters..
  Good to hear that theres plenty of ice on Indian..glad you got into some nice lakers  and sorry you lost the whopper of the day.. ???...you would`ve iced it if you had caught it on a tip-up or any other  jig stick thats not used for smelting...sucks when that happens.... did you see any browns being caught?

WB ;)

Only one other guy on the ice as far as the eye could see. Checked in with him and he was strictly jigging for smelt, no tip ups in the water. He got there after we did and was pulling out just as we came off the ice.

Offline Laker15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:04 AM »
what depth we're you guys fishing in?

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:57 AM »
i am hearing conflicting things about the ice.  i have heard from those that live nearby that the ice has a lot of bad spots and is unsafe.  then looking at this thread there is 12-14 in..... can anyone confirm either story?

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:52 PM »
I was there yesterday went about 2 miles up the lake on a quad . Where I was fishing was about 10 inches of black ice. And then the 2 inches of crap on top . Lots of water on the  lake yesterday . One spot had 6 inches of water yesterday . Our holes were like running toilets . Between 3 of us we got 5 lakers . One rock bass .2 perch . And about 100 smelt. I was trying to catch regular trout but only got lakers . Anybody have any tips on getin browns, rainbow our brookies . I was fishing right where a decent size creek comes  in .

Offline tpeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:34 PM »
i am hearing conflicting things about the ice.  i have heard from those that live nearby that the ice has a lot of bad spots and is unsafe.  then looking at this thread there is 12-14 in..... can anyone confirm either story?

We were fishing in 20 FOW. All but one of the lakers came off of tip ups set just a few feet under the ice. We covered all depths top to bottom but they seemed to be cruising just under the ice. We originally set up right under the ice looking for browns or landlocks but ended up with lakers instead. Did get the one I lost at the hole jigging the bottom for smelt. Most of the smelt were on the bottom which is where you'd think the lakers would be but not the case on Monday at least.

Offline Laker15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, looking to head up there in the next few days. Will post results.

Offline ADKFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Check out this link which is a snowmobile forum. The guy who runs it lives right on the lake by the dam and has lived in the area most of his life. He is still saying the ice is not all that safe. http://www.ilsnow.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7980

Also, if you plan to bring snowmobiles you won't have much luck. There has been nothing but rain in IL the past few days and the lake is probably mostly ice. Even if your sled is studded there isn't enough snow to keep your sled cool. I wouldn't think you would get too far before your sled would start to overheat.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2012, 03:11 AM »
I'm going out on the northern part of Indian tomorrow putting a shanty out.  I will post conditions of the that part of the lake tomorrow night if I can.  A friend who has been fishing the lake all week says there is an average of 10 inches of good ice.  Ice is now bare, no snow and some water.

Offline tpeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:17 AM »
Check out this link which is a snowmobile forum. The guy who runs it lives right on the lake by the dam and has lived in the area most of his life. He is still saying the ice is not all that safe. http://www.ilsnow.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7980

Also, if you plan to bring snowmobiles you won't have much luck. There has been nothing but rain in IL the past few days and the lake is probably mostly ice. Even if your sled is studded there isn't enough snow to keep your sled cool. I wouldn't think you would get too far before your sled would start to overheat.

I suppose just like any other lake there can be areas for concern. I can only tell you that on Monday we fished the south end approx. 2 miles north of the State boat launch and we uniformly had 12-14 inches of ice (measured) anywhere we drilled. That being said there was a significant warm up mid week but I think all that did was melt the 3-4 inches of snow on top. All of the water on top should have re-froze by now. As of this morning it's single digit temps up there. Bring your creepers.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Anyone been there in the last day or so?

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:51 AM »
Fished on the northern end of Indian Lake yesterday, 12-14 inches of ice all around us.  Only trouble is in narrows before you get to the dam, where their is open water.

Offline bassmaster99

• Team IceShanty Regular
indian lake
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:05 PM »
looking for a little help. Been looking for public access points on north end of indian and no success. anyone got any information?

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: indian lake
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:45 PM »
down the snowmobile trail is probably your only way. stop at the restaurant and see if you can park there.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2012, 01:29 PM »
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bassmaster99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:14 PM »
good stuff. thanks guys

Offline stripermancl

• Team IceShanty Regular
indian lake
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:56 PM »
going to indian lake friday can anyone tell me an area to try to catch smelt with what and how deep.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:31 PM »
What Indian lake ????
Just enjoying life

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2012, 02:54 AM »
If it's Indian Lake in the Town of Indian Lake, Hamilton County, the southern end of the lake.  The only public access is along Route 30 and the Indian lake Islands campsite.  Use a Hali with a spike off the bottom.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:50 AM »
Bushy:  Its not the one on Ft. Drum if that's what you're wondering.  I notice you are from Evans Mills.  I grew up in Carthage.

Offline CCaputo51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:31 PM »
May head up to Indian this weekend does anybody have any suggestions on where to go for pike?  I don't have a sled and most likely would access from the boat launch on the South end.
Thanks

Offline pgachef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2012, 12:37 PM »
May head up to Indian this weekend does anybody have any suggestions on where to go for pike?  I don't have a sled and most likely would access from the boat launch on the South end. John Mack bay
Thanks

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Anyone gettin any Browns out of there,Man We used to get some Bombers in there??????????

Offline dchville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:52 PM »
My friend and I went to indian lake on friday. Not much luck. We caught 1 laker about 17''. Had two other flags but nothing. Wondering if anyone else has had any luck there?

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Been somewhat slow this year.  Mostly short ones with a occasional legal one. 

Offline bassmaster99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:14 PM »
caught 5 on friday. biggest bout 27inches scatteredall throughout the day. real slow on the jig rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.