New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Best method for catching eyes through the ice  (Read 2361 times)

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best method for catching eyes through the ice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:33 AM »
i like to get my holes in way before the prime bite so as not to spook fish .i also carry at least 5 rods set up differently so i can switch rigs if one comes in on the vex but doesnt commit i can throw something down that might entice it to hit . as previously stated have a minnow on the hook it does help althogh i have gotten them on blank hooks, they like meat. i have tried every lure i could posible jig with and have gotten them on almost all in different conditions also have a assortment of colors of the same lure it makes a difference. spoons i have found are productive in most situations ,start with the basics (sweedish pimple ,castmaster or most northland jigs ) can and will trigger hits just try different colors as previously stated. on tip-ups you cant go wrong with a fathead minnow atleast 2.5" long i know others will say their bait works better but they are hardy (will last all day on a hook) walleye love them and are extreamly cheep. i fish mine about a foot off bottom and have gotten everything from salmon ,lake trout ,and every kind of panfish and some verry large pike on them .not to meation walleye. good luck

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:11 PM »
like this

tip-up, big sucker and HOLE COVERS
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:13 AM »

yes sir nypike we down here don't get many really nice ones we have settle for stuff like this  ;)
'

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:14 AM »

Poor Freddy .... at least Snag let you hold his  :o ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:22 AM »

Poor Freddy .... at least Snag let you hold his  :o ;D

yep this ol buzzard needs all the help he can get  ;D

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:39 AM »

yes sir nypike we down here don't get many really nice ones we have settle for stuff like this  ;)
'

(Image removed from quote.)
well we dont generally get numbers like that, sometimes i would take the switch.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:58 AM »

maybe, but that one your holding nypike is a beauty for sure

Offline draht

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:34 PM »
go with a guy that knows what hes doing. Location, aggressive jigging, dead sticking, tip ups. Just depends is the fish are aggressive or not actively feeding.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.