Author Topic: sinkers and live bait  (Read 697 times)

Offline bluefingah

• IceShanty Rookie
sinkers and live bait
« on: Jan 23, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Hey there,
Does anyone have any good tips for keeping bait deep without gobs of sinkers right next to the hook?
I usually put sinkers on the backing right behind my swivel, the bait can still swim the length of the leader up or down from there. This is alright most of the time, but sometimes the bait (especially smelt) will tangle itself and the leader around the backing, the other time this doesn't work is if you really want the bait right on the bottom.
The obvious solution is to put sinkers closer to the bait. Wouldn't this spook fish? I use fluorocarbon leaders and it seems like it would sort of spoil the effect to have a bunch of weight hanging from them.
Maybe I'm just being finicky, but i would appreciate the advice of some more experienced fishermen as I feel there must be something I'm missing here.
Thanks  BD   

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: sinkers and live bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:12 PM »
I think hiding your size hook in the size bait you are using is more important for spooking fish than what size sinker at 12" or more from bait.  I use a #6 hook with a small #7 sized reusable sinkers with mid sized smelt and maybe two #7 with large smelt.  4' leader. sinker or sinkers 18" from bait.  If fishing deeper than 45', I'll move to a #5 or two #5 a good 18-24" away from bait.  swivel between leader and backing.  Longer leader can be used when fishing deeper water, but I keep mine at 4' in the event I fish closer to shore for rainbow with tip-up.  If the smelt is too strong for my size sinker, I trim the fins a tad.  You want them lively but easy to chase.

NB

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: sinkers and live bait
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:43 PM »
I have good luck rigging it like a dropshot rig. Bait above the sinker. Tie a swivel 12'' or so above sinker with a polymar knot and a leader with hook and bait off from swivel. Try it out, you might like it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.