Author Topic: Tipup Help?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tipup Help?
« on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Hey guys I'm pretty experienced with jigging and deadsticks, etc. but am just now starting to use tipups.  One question I have is that I rigged up my tipup with line, swivel, leader, hook, and splitshot.  The problem is that when I set my line depth, the tipup line will free-spool because of the weight of the splitshot until the splitshot has reached the bottom of where I'm fishing at.  Can someone help me to figure out how to top it from free falling?  Thanks
DILLY DILLY

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tipup Help?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:08 PM »
Does your tip up have some sort of drag? And how big of a split shot are you using?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Thanks jamison for the reply.  It's a Berkley ice tipup:  http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley-tools-and-equipment-line-management-berkley/berkley-ice-tip-up/1285523.html

I'm not sure if there's a drag system on it, but if there is that is probably the issue.  The split shot is just a single size 2 I believe
DILLY DILLY

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:31 PM »
The T part where you set you flag shoild have two different size grooves one shallow and deep... Try setting it in the deeper groove

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Hey J1.....  That makes no sense! The reel is secure on the T shaft!.... so when you set fishin depth and set flag under one or the other T sides ..... the sinker can not go to the bottom without settin off the flag!  More info please?
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:46 PM »
Set to the depth where you want it then set thw flag. Ive never have a sinker trip the flag...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Oh ok that makes sense.  Now the flag won't come up when I start pulling on the line though.
DILLY DILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Edit.  Nevermind I figured it all out.  Thanks jamison!
DILLY DILLY

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:57 PM »
You are placing the line through the line guide yes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Yep.  That was one of the problems that I wasn't doing.  The spool still free spins a little but definitely not as much as it was before.
DILLY DILLY

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Is the reel tight on shaft????   Should be no play between spool and T bar!  The T bar is adjustable I think down ward to increase tension on the flag set, thats why the two (heavy and light )release sides!  Good luck!       Sorry J1 got the posters mixed up!!!   O.P.  :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2016, 07:45 PM »
You are placing the line through the line guide yes .
X2
It must be something in the water.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2016, 03:11 PM »
Yep.  That was one of the problems that I wasn't doing.  The spool still free spins a little but definitely not as much as it was before.

is the plastic spool spinning on the shaft I had the same problem with my Berkley tip ups I got rid of them and bought a better one frabill classic wood tip ups and some frabill thermals  mine worked better once I made the switch.. I think they assembled the spool and t bar wrong and it just free spins.... like if you want it to work it will need epoxy lots of it....   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.