Author Topic: What size treble hooks on tip ups.  (Read 12223 times)

Offline mc1984ss

• IceShanty Rookie
What size treble hooks on tip ups.
« on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:43 PM »
I would like to try my luck and try to catch some northern this winter through the ice. I have plenty of tip ups that I can rig up but am curious about hook size. What would you recommend to someone starting out.? No. 6? Thanks in advance!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What size treble hooks on tip ups.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:29 PM »
What size bait, one treble, or a quick strike rig? Generally anything from #6-#2 is just fine. I use #4 on my quick strikes, and I like bait 8"+.
-Tom

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:51 PM »
If you are releasing them you should use a single hook. Pike can easily get the bait down their throat before you get to the flag. I've seen lots of people gut hook pike with treble hooks through the ice. Not good for the pike. With single 3/0-5/0 octopus hooks you get a very high hook up percentage and usually the hook slides to the corner of the mouth. When they do get gut hooked with the big octopus hooks it's easy to rotate the hook and remove it with a long pair of pliers and jaw spreaders.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:32 PM »
If you are releasing them you should use a single hook. Pike can easily get the bait down their throat before you get to the flag. I've seen lots of people gut hook pike with treble hooks through the ice. Not good for the pike. With single 3/0-5/0 octopus hooks you get a very high hook up percentage and usually the hook slides to the corner of the mouth. When they do get gut hooked with the big octopus hooks it's easy to rotate the hook and remove it with a long pair of pliers and jaw spreaders.

Thats what ive been using last few seasons, i still run a couple treble sets but i think this year im going completely to 3-5/0 circle hooks.. Ill add to what sax said by saying how it almost takes their teeth out of the equation, seems to get them right in the corner of the kisser every time with the eye of the hook ussually hanging out of their mouths...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:11 AM »

Thats what ive been using last few seasons, i still run a couple treble sets but i think this year im going completely to 3-5/0 circle hooks.. Ill add to what sax said by saying how it almost takes their teeth out of the equation, seems to get them right in the corner of the kisser every time with the eye of the hook ussually hanging out of their mouths...
Would the loop style quick strike rig still be effective with the circle hooks? I'm thinking of switching over myself.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Would the loop style quick strike rig still be effective with the circle hooks? I'm thinking of switching over myself.

Never tried one.. I tend to go more on the presentation side, heavy polymer leaders smaller trebles etc etc.. A lot of folks think using fluoro or mono leaders is all about the pike actually seeing steel leaders, while its one side of it, my opinion is with using shiners and such , using a lighter presentation keeps your bait more active, a heavy leader and multiple hooks tires out and or kills a bait more quickly.. I know everyone catches fish on steel leaders, I used to use them I know... Just seems you  catch a little bit more without it...

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Never tried one.. I tend to go more on the presentation side, heavy polymer leaders smaller trebles etc etc.. A lot of folks think using fluoro or mono leaders is all about the pike actually seeing steel leaders, while its one side of it, my opinion is with using shiners and such , using a lighter presentation keeps your bait more active, a heavy leader and multiple hooks tires out and or kills a bait more quickly.. I know everyone catches fish on steel leaders, I used to use them I know... Just seems you  catch a little bit more without it...
I use flouro. And almost all my baits are dead. I may set one live shiner out.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:31 PM »
i use size 10 trebles on some my tip ups on a sliding quick strike rig. also will use number 4 -6 on the same rig depending on how skittish the fish are with bigger baits.  size 10 in a blue gill ware i use # 4-#6 treble hooks  in a 6-12 inch sucker..   same think fluorocarbon versus steel leader  it just depends on what works best on what day...  have been wanting to switch to circle hooks but just have not yet...

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:11 PM »
I use flouro. And almost all my baits are dead. I may set one live shiner out.
Run a mixed bag, dead baits work well but using only dead bait really limits your effectiveness.. Sometimes you need a bait down there alive twitching around to induce a strike..

generally ill keep a dead bait off a dead stick close by in the area i am jigging a heavy spoon type jig.. Your basically flashing in fish by pounding a big jig near a dead bait... Im not saying its 100% effective, but it will produce fish from time to time, always seems like when the bite is slow this method will drum up a fish... Dead baits are a late ice go to for me, 50/50 mix live dead then... i honestly think one would limit their catch running one exclusive bait...

Pike are opportunistic but they can be selective at times in my experience... You need to throw the kitchen sink at them, unless you are zeroed right into them....

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I guess I should have said I usually fish with one other guy and what they are doing, I'll do different to figure out what's working. I know a lot is all relative to the lake. I lean towards big bait produce big fish, even though I know big fish have come on tiny bait. Once I figure out the fishes mood I'll change accordingly. But it seems I usually end up with more large bait than small.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:44 AM »
I like a #6 wide gap on my single treble rigs. I also use quickstrike rigs with #4's with 9-12" suckers. All depending on where im fishing.

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:18 AM »
For the big ones I use a quickstrike rig with the biggest bait i can get my hands on and #4s.  Otherwise one #4 treble with dead smelt and/or fatheads.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:25 AM »

most , or all QSR's have 2 hooks, I only use one circle, but use 5/0-6/0 and have never found the need for 2. Just hook bait under dorsal, and do not set the hook, just put the brakes on and hook will set itself, an many that you try to set it with a yank, you will yank it clear of the fish, give them a try very simple, and very effective

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:31 AM »
also , if you want to make your own scroll down to Whities quick strike and circle rigs, you will see what I meant about simple. leader material can be flouro if you want and if you tie knots, I don't know why you would use crimps.  I use steel and crimps, and catch as many as my friends materials available at BPS or Gander. some of my circle rigs I put beads, and spinners on, your choice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.