Author Topic: should I use sinkers?  (Read 3511 times)

gill_muncher

should I use sinkers?
« on: Jan 12, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I just went pike fishing for the first time, (with slammers) and found after pulling the bait to leave the sucker was right under the ice.  I was in about 8 foot of water and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know there werent going to be a whole lot of pike there.  So to get to my question I was wondering on how to solve this problem.  thanx

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: should I use sinkers?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2005, 10:54 PM »
We use dead bait up here and I always have to add some lead weight (stuffed inside the sucker or smelt) to take it down.I know that it is not politically correct to add lead to a lake bottom nowdays but,Ive never lost any yet-it always stays inside the smelt which comes out of the pikes mouth with the hook. We don't have a lead ban up here yet but,it's coming and then I suppose I'll have to use something else.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2005, 04:49 PM »
We use dead bait up here and I always have to add some lead weight (stuffed inside the sucker or smelt) to take it down.I know that it is not politically correct to add lead to a lake bottom nowdays but,Ive never lost any yet-it always stays inside the smelt which comes out of the pikes mouth with the hook. We don't have a lead ban up here yet but,it's coming and then I suppose I'll have to use something else.

Hey Tomba, just use finish nails to do the job.  I just keep a handfull in my coat pocket and slide them in the appropriate end of your bait to make it level.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2005, 10:48 PM »
That is a different idea i have never heard?Pretty good idea using nails for weighting dead bait.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2005, 11:57 PM »
DON'T USE NAILS! :%$#!:

What do you think happens to a fish that steals your bait?

Puncture the air bladder in the baitfish and squeeze the air out. It'll sink.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2005, 01:44 AM »
I always put light split shot on my leader about a foot above my deadbait. If using a live bait, you need to put a couple heavier split shot on to keep it from swimming too much. Just enough weight to get a deadbait to sink to the bottom slowly but surely. One #5 water gremlin split shot. For live bait, two or more water gremlin #5's.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2005, 02:20 AM »
I slide a 1/4 ounce barrel weight (sliding weight) onto my braided line. I then tie the braided line to a pre made 18" titanium leader with a barrel swivel on the end. The weight cant slide down past the barrel swivel so it is 18" above the bait. This gets your bait down to the depth you want but still gives the live minnow the ability to swim a little more freely. I think this helps create a more natural presentation. With larger minnows I will pinch some of their tail so they swim somewhat erratic. The sliding weight also helps the fish not feel any resistance when it triggers the trap because the line will slide freely through the weight if the weight drops to the bottom.

I agree with Tip-Up. Nails are probably not a good choice for the ones that steal your bait. I dont like split shot because pinching split shot onto a titanium or steal leader just messes up the leader(kinks).

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2005, 07:02 AM »
Adding anything to the bait (lead or nails) is bad for the fishery. I use a split shot about 12" up the line to keep the bait where I want it.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2005, 02:55 PM »
To answer your question...........NO you shouldn't use sinkers! Atleast when using dead bait. 1.) I have found while pike fishing dead bait works best, on or just off the bottom. Puncture the air bladder and it will sink. Don't use nails or stuff the fish full of lead.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Also worth mentioning Gillmuncher is that if the Pike are active and hungry, they will take a minnow that is right under the ice. If your fishing in eight foot of water and a hungry Pike is swimming by at any depth and he looks up and sees that minnow, chances are he will hammer it just as readily as he would if he were on the bottom. Pike are opportunity feeders and they patrol the lake at all depths. Sometimes just under the ice.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2005, 10:30 PM »
I always use a sinker attached to my line.  I usually fish with live bait.  most of the areas I am fishing have pike and walleye so I feel live bait is better.  With a sinker on the line no worries hard to lose unless I don't watch line condition.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2005, 09:58 AM »
twodoggs - True live bait works very well on most species, however I found through the ice there is NOTHING better than dead bait. If you haven't tried it yet.....give it a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.