Author Topic: Favorite Perch Lake  (Read 2636 times)

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
Favorite Perch Lake
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:15 PM »
I'm new to the site, so first off hello! I grew up ice fishing in Nebraska and everytime I go home in the winter we make it out if there is ice. Since I've been in WA I've been mostly chasing walleye out of my boat, until this year. Decided I need to do more ice fishing, miss it too much! I am really wanting to learn some new lakes so I was curious, if you wanted to chase some good perch, where would you go?

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite Perch Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:09 PM »
First off, Welcome! Prepare to learn a lot from some of the folks on this site.
For perch, in this State, Curlew is probably #1, although I’ve never ventured that way.  Eloika and Newman are mostly where I go for perch, but the fish have been harder to get top-side, lately.
 Good luck on the ice!

Offline Echo 6 Whiskey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:52 PM »
Welcome. where have you tried. The before mentioned are great advice the only thing I could add is we are in a very unusual time when a lot of lake just opened that haven’t been fished hard water in years if you need someone to go with I’m game I have never fished Newman butt would like too Curlew in have and done ok one time great the other or would be game for anywhere else

Offline Echo 6 Whiskey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Flamdragger how have you been doing at Newman I have never fished it butt would like to any information would be appreciated

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:17 AM »
I always go to the South-East part of the lake, and try and fish on any breaks or drop-offs I can find. It’s been a slow grind for some perch and bluegills. I haven’t caught anything worth filleting out of there this year. I’m just using tiny (3 or 4mm) jigs, and spikes. Nothing fancy. Good luck!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Welcome! As mentioned above, Curlew is probably the number 1 perch lake in the state through the ice. My wife and I selectively harvested (returning anything smaller than 9.5") hundreds of them there this winter. Our biggest fish were over 12" and the average was about 10". Additionally, there are nice rainbows, and cut-bows in that lake that are a fun change of pace while you are targeting the perch. I am not sure what the ice conditions are at this point, but if it's good you should be able to head out from Tiffanys Resort (they charge to park there) and find them in 42'+ FOW.

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Thanks for the info! I really want to try Curlew, I have heard it can be great. I'm planning on hitting Thomas Lake tomorrow (little closer for me than Curlew), right next to Gillette. have never been but heard it can be good for perch as well. So far I have hit 4th of July (not for perch obviously) and went to Silver for an afternoon. Just baby perch at silver and bites at 4th. I was late to the game this year, didn't think we were getting ice this year! But I am fairly well set up now and just wanting to get a few places checked out so I can hit the ice runnin next year. I have never fished the chain lakes so looked like an interesting and fun adventure, I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow and will post pics! I pretty much lived on Roosevelt in my boat and I am wanting to branch out to lakes I've never visited, right now my hit list: Chain lakes, Curlew, Newman, Bead (for big trout), Coffee Pot (& Twin lakes next door). Can't make it to all of them this ice season..... Where you guys headed this this weekend!!!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:08 PM »
I am headed out on Roosevelt in the morning to chase around walleye. I'll be the crazy person on the pontoon...so I will be dressed like I am ice fishing! We caught a few nice perch out at Gillette too, but way more rainbows.

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2019, 11:13 PM »
Great day on the ice! We started on Gillette & caught a lot of rainbows, left with a limit and walked over to Thomas to chase perch. Caught 10, kept 5. Overall great day!

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:04 AM »
Couple more pics

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.