Author Topic: Michiana Shanty 2  (Read 99518 times)

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Michiana Shanty 2
« Reply #120 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:32 AM »
Wow! That's awesome, incredible workmanship and ingenuity.

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:32 PM »
nice's shack I've ever seen!!!!very good workmanship on the shanty, Don't know if I could ever fish in anything like that though, I would worry about me breaking something ;D ;D ;D ;D
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #122 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:26 AM »
nice's shack I've ever seen!!!!very good workmanship on the shanty, Don't know if I could ever fish in anything like that though, I would worry about me breaking something ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you built it, you could fix it! ;D ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Dude, you are an ice hut making machine. This is the sickest hut I have seen......WOW

I am really impressed with the design, to craftsmanship to graphics on the hut. Amazing.....I would buy the blue prints off you for $100 right now
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #124 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:18 PM »
I wish I possessed the skills needed to build something like that. Very impressive.

Joe

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Absolutely FIRST CLASS!!!!!!!!!
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Very nice portable,I have one question once you have the shack set up can it be moved from one place to another without folding it down? We move around until we find the fish,maybe 4 or 5 times an outing.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:19 AM »
Very nice portable,I have one question once you have the shack set up can it be moved from one place to another without folding it down? We move around until we find the fish,maybe 4 or 5 times an outing.
It takes time to move. Depends on what you brought with you. If you set up the table and you TV and DVD player and lanterns and settle in you won't feel like moving. If you only take the basics, it doesn't take much to step out, fold it down, and run and gun. I have moved a few times, but I seem to settle in too tight and enjoy my creation and the cabin feeling on ice. I am also seeing fish on the camera so that's another good reason to stay put. If I was to move allot I would take fishing poles bait and lanterns. I could move fast that way. You could slide it without folding it up, but the walls would be shifting and adjusting to the levelness of the ice and snow. Not really made for that kind of abuse. The amount of time it would take to fold it up or down would be the best way to do it. Its made to slide on the sled part. I also make a two man that would do what you want, as long as there is not much snow. If there is snow you need the sled. You can see it under Michiana Shanty. In the Ice shack tips.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Feb 18, 2010, 01:21 PM »
Thanks all for the nice comments on my shanty. My hard work and thought paid off. I won the ultimate shanty contest for the best permanent shanty. That is good to me because I wanted the flag instead of a T-shirt. I will be fishing all weekend in it. Taking a road trip north about 275 miles. Meeting up with a bunch of guys from Iceshanty on Higgins lake. Will update with some pictures when I return.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #129 on: Feb 20, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Thanks all for the nice comments on my shanty. My hard work and thought paid off. I won the ultimate shanty contest for the best permanent shanty. That is good to me because I wanted the flag instead of a T-shirt. I will be fishing all weekend in it. Taking a road trip north about 275 miles. Meeting up with a bunch of guys from Iceshanty on Higgins lake. Will update with some pictures when I return.

Told ya!!!!!!     ;)2
The IS flag will look sweet flying above your super shanty.   ;D

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:46 AM »
saw this monster first hand yesterday afternoon.   let me tell ya, that thing is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEET!      only took michiana and his buddy like 30-40 seconds to set this up once the site was prepped ( shoveled to bare ice).   i tell ya, the craftmanship involved in the shanty is a mark of a true craftsman,  michiana, my ha tis off to you and your shanty!      i just wish you were able to have plans drawn up for this as i surely would like to build one of my own.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:25 AM »
Told ya!!!!!!     ;)2
The IS flag will look sweet flying above your super shanty.   ;D

Yes you did tell me, Thanks!

saw this monster first hand yesterday afternoon.   let me tell ya, that thing is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEET!      only took michiana and his buddy like 30-40 seconds to set this up once the site was prepped ( shoveled to bare ice).   i tell ya, the craftmanship involved in the shanty is a mark of a true craftsman,  michiana, my ha tis off to you and your shanty!      i just wish you were able to have plans drawn up for this as i surely would like to build one of my own.

The bad thing is?  While fishing this weekend I got some ideas for a new shanty :o Now do I take the time to work on number 3 ???? Or do I draw up something on my first two designs? My mind is stimulated by problem solving new designs. I need to let someone else make the plans while I work on the next. I only have so much time for one or the other. I still can't believe I was able to build this #2 shanty in one summer. The next one will take longer, I think?

Was nice to see all of you guy's on Higgins. Great weather for the event. My friend got sunburnt ;D ;D
I will post some pictures after I get them off the camera.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #132 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:04 AM »
This is a nonstop process. I put aluminium floors in 3 boats that were almost identical and every time i changed it a up a little. It's a sign the old mind is still turning! ;D Excellent job on the shanty you should be proud!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:18 AM »
got to see this shanty over the weekend at higgins lake it is totaly awasomeeeeeeeee would love to have one some day it was really neat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:44 AM »
Pictures from Higgins Lake.

Holehpr

Denny B

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Feb 22, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Yes you did tell me, Thanks!

The bad thing is?  While fishing this weekend I got some ideas for a new shanty :o Now do I take the time to work on number 3 ???? Or do I draw up something on my first two designs? My mind is stimulated by problem solving new designs. I need to let someone else make the plans while I work on the next. I only have so much time for one or the other. I still can't believe I was able to build this #2 shanty in one summer. The next one will take longer, I think?

Was nice to see all of you guy's on Higgins. Great weather for the event. My friend got sunburnt ;D ;D
I will post some pictures after I get them off the camera.

tell ya what michiana, if you can give me the dimensions i can have it drawn up on my computer, i have a CAD program on there and i will gladly doit for you as long as i get to keep a copy of the finished plans.   gimme a PM and i will give you my phone number so we can exchange the dimensions as you have time to provide them.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:08 AM »
Thanks for the offer. My son is the engineering club president. He knows CAD. I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings using someone else to draw the thing up. He is about to graduate this year. Just did his pictures an cap and gown stuff. Once he's finished with the school work I am going to put him to work drawing up shanties. I hope it will help with his college fund. And boost his confidence knowing he had a part in it. Thanks!  I am going to tell ya, I am going to start a Michiana Shanty 3 Post soon.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:28 PM »
I made a video of all the folding pictures I have. I hope this helps with your summer projects. If you have questions feel free to ask.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/michianiafisherman/?action=view&current=Shantyfolding201.flv

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Jul 31, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I saw the shark reports out east and it reminded me I have not taken a picture of the top of my shanty. I will get one up this week.

surflizard

« Reply #139 on: Aug 01, 2010, 06:22 AM »
Michiana, .that shanty is truly an enginering marvel, to be gifted with that kind of ingenuity is truly a blessing.  Congratulations for winning top shanty.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Aug 12, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Thanks again for the nice comments! Here is the pictures of the top.

This picture shows how the tow rope goes all the way through the shanty. Also how I clamped the table to the floor for hauling. And also my Granddaughter.

It did feel good to walk around in it again. My grand kids thought it was a playhouse.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #141 on: Sep 07, 2010, 05:18 PM »
That is a nice looking shanty. I bet it is a blast using it.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Sep 20, 2010, 06:42 AM »
Glad you put the pictures and video up, sure looks like a sweet shack! Have you froze it to the ground yet? :-)

Kilroy
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:23 AM »
I have never froze it to the ice. It will stick if you stay out long enough, but I painted the bottom with Latex Paint so it comes up easy. The shanty is only sitting on 2x2's. The 2x2's are glued and screwed onto the plywood then the Luann goes across both for the sides. The 2x2's can't come off. My friend one time kicked wet snow all around the bottom and I had to chip away to get to my hand holds and the use a spud to pop it loose, but other than that no problems.

This two man is easier to see the bottom and how it sits on the 2x2's. See how I staggered the 2x2 at the corners so I have someplace to lift it off the ice. This small one weights less than two hundred pounds. The michiana shanty 2 weighs 332 pounds so I can still lift it loose from the ice by myself.

I had to put supports on the floor of the michiana 2, so I cut them smaller so they don't hit the ice. Only the outside of the shanty holds the weight.

Offline eld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I notice that you use a lantern to heat the shack.  Is this the only source of heating you use and how does it perform?  I am hoping to use a lantern to heat the shack that I am going to build but would like to know how well it will work first.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Sep 22, 2010, 05:32 AM »
Yes I only use lantern heat. Because the shanty folds and has many places for a little air to come in I am not too worried about carbon monoxide. The small one was fine with one lantern, but the large 8X8 I use two when its close to 0 degrees. If you have a shack that is sealed and insulated one lantern will run you out. Meaning too hot. That's why I make a door latch that holds the door open a little to regulate the heat. Make sure it holds it open so the wind isn't driving you crazy from the rattle. I also fish at night quite a bit, so the light is a bonus. If you make a lantern box, you can move the light and heat around your shanty where needed. The box is my second heat source, my first is built into the bench. If I get too hot I turn off the box lantern.

The box works good for holding a rod, warming up a sandwich, drying out wet gloves, holding some tackle, and for walking around and scouting out and around the shanty. A bonus is, it is hard to break a globe while it is in the box and I don't have to worry about the kids or others burning fishing line, fingers, or expensive coats an the hot lantern. And buy the way, make sure you use the two mantel type. The single mantel doesn't put out enough heat.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Looks like this weekend I will be able to get the shanty out on some channel. If you see me, stop by and say hello!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #147 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Dude I know you have probably been told a couple dozen times but I am going to say it anyways!
"YOU MISSED YOUR CALLING!" ;D
Awesome job and keep up with the pics and ideas!
Greg
Fish on!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:55 AM »
Thanks Greg!  Keep your eyes pealed next year! I have a new idea!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:37 AM »
Just amazing!  Thanks very much for sharing this with everyone, and good luck fishin'!

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.