The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: anyone been to Tongue river reservior?  (Read 929 times)

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
anyone been to Tongue river reservior?
« on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Never been there before and since im layed off for a few weeks its time to do some fishing.  I know there is walleye there but what else? Perch?  Trout? ???

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: anyone been to Tongue river reservior?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:44 PM »
just read the other post on trr.  do you fish for the crappie with jiggs and maggots or spoons or both?  Any info would be appreciated since im just a trout fisherman. 

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Friday, Jan. 25 mini-report
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:48 PM »
I drilled holes on a west-side bay near the dam (never fished that area before) last Friday afternoon, and found myself in only 6' to 8' of water.  I fished several holes for 10 to 20 minutes each between 3 and 4:30 p.m. with a small spoon tipped with waxworm.  I only had one sniffer (he came up to the bait on my Vexilar, and may have licked my bait  ;) ). 

There were quite a few fishermen on the lake farther south (I've seen days when I was the only one there), but have no idea whether they were picking up fish or not.  I do know there seemed to be more BS-ing than fishing during prime time (just before dark).  I don't know whether that meant no fish activity or many beers.

My best catch this winter came in 20-plus feet of water during the last 2 hours of daylight (crappie to 10" -- on a ruler!! No walleye or northern).  The small jigging spoon tipped with a waxworm worked best. 
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.