The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crappie in Blanchard....or other lakes in the Flahead Valley???  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
So who all fishes Crappie on this side of the hills?

I have never fished for them and would like to give it a crack(preferably with someone who's done it before)....

Thanks.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
I totally agree... Let me know if you can find any Crappie over on this side of the hills! I have never fished for them either!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
O.k., that's 2 Crappie Rookies looking for an education....  Who is willing to show us the ropes?

....anyone......anyone .....Bueller.....Buell er.....Faris Bueller.....

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Oh man, I'd jump at the chance to catch crappie!!!  Too bad I live 6 hrs away ;)  Always done well with little genz jigs.  Pink is a good color.  Also done pretty well with tip-down with little fathead minnows.

Any slabbers in Blanchard?  How many other lakes have crappie around there?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Oh man, I'd jump at the chance to catch crappie!!!  Too bad I live 6 hrs away ;)  Always done well with little genz jigs.  Pink is a good color.  Also done pretty well with tip-down with little fathead minnows.

Any slabbers in Blanchard?  How many other lakes have crappie around there?

Blanchard is the only lake in Western Montana that I "know" has crappie in it.  There are "rumors" that they are in Echo Lake, Lion Lake, and Mcwinaggers slough.  I'm hoping someone here can help us out....

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have talked with the local Fish and Game biologist and he tells me that Blanchard is the only lake west of the divide with crappie. They were illegally introduced quite a few years ago. Don't know if anywhere else has been "bucketed" yet but figured someplace will be. The crappie seem to go in cycles there and were hit pretty hard a couple of years ago but they are on a come back right now. I seem to be able to catch a few when I target them. I usually fish in the evening or at night from sunset to 9 or 10 o'clock. Using a submersible light and then small jigs tipped with maggots. We can't use live minnows on this side of the divide. I have done best at 12-15 feet down on the south part of the lake.  They have been kind of small this year but maybe I just have not found the bigger ones yet. If that ratbag slush would ever freeze hard I could take the snowcat and really hunt them down. Nearly got it stuck last time out there. Anyway will report on my next trip to Blanchard.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
I stopped by there a couple weekends ago and the water on the ice was between 4 and 8 inches deep!  I couldn't believe it.   I was hoping that it had improved....

Greg how do you get into the south end of the lake?  I'm only aware of the access at the very north end of the lake...

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
The only public access to Blanchard is that one at the north end. So you have to either walk or take the machine down through the narrows, conditions permitting. The entire lake shore except for the little access is private.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.