The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: local ponds  (Read 1681 times)

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
local ponds
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:45 PM »
can anyone help me in locating local ponds in the area for some ice action? i live in great falls. i hear about some great ones but i dont know where to find them. thank you and good luck!! hard water rocks.. ;D ;D :tipup:

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: local ponds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:18 AM »
I was wondering the same as Herd, as I transplanted here from AK in 2007.  Any good holes in the GTF area?  Ponds with ice would certainly fix my itch until the local lakes get good ice.  I keep reading about all my AK buds who've been fishin' for the past several wks! :'(

Offline wallygiggn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • me and buster
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:05 AM »
Wadsworth park has gotten some ice, its good for walleye and perch.  A-Rod is about 50miles away, 10 miles outside of Brady, good for pike.  Tiber and Francis are like 1 1/2 to 2 hr drives but well worth the trip if you're looking for some bigger fish, however I am unsure if they are frozen over yet.

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I checked out Wadsworth Park yesterday in Great Falls.  It only had 3-4 inches, so I stayed close to shore.  No walleye, but the perch were biting (slow).  Brought one home (11").

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:04 PM »
i went to wadsworth monday, foot of ice, 3-4 inches of snow on top, no fish

what do you guys use to catch fish there?

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:39 PM »
Hey Andercee,
I think most of Wadsworth is real shallow except the (south?)eastern side.  This area was dredged a few years ago to enhance fish habitat and to prevent winterkill.  Follow the lake edge East from the turnaround at the end of the access road.  Try to find and fish the hole and its edges.  Ice jigs, flies or halis and pimples tipped with maggots will work for perch and trout.  Might be able to coax a walleye with a jigging rap or chubby darter.  Good Luck
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:21 PM »
How many lines are we allowed there?

Hey Andercee,
I think most of Wadsworth is real shallow except the (south?)eastern side.  This area was dredged a few years ago to enhance fish habitat and to prevent winterkill.  Follow the lake edge East from the turnaround at the end of the access road.  Try to find and fish the hole and its edges.  Ice jigs, flies or halis and pimples tipped with maggots will work for perch and trout.  Might be able to coax a walleye with a jigging rap or chubby darter.  Good Luck

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into BACON GREASE!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I heard there was some pike in wadsworth. Does anyone know if this is true? :tipup:

Offline lschrag13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:37 AM »
I used to fish Wadsworth quite a bit when I lived in GF.  Never caught a pike.  Perch, Walleye, Rainbow, and Carp were all I ever pulled out.  Its been about three years though so someone may have dumped some in since then.

Good luck!

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:30 PM »
check out the gravel pit west of cascade used to be loaded with perch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.