Author Topic: Dewalt Battery Light Power Source  (Read 2478 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
Dewalt Battery Light Power Source
« on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:52 AM »
I've gone away from using a powerbox, and will be using this contraption to power my lights and charge phone if needed.  The back of the box will get bolted to the inside of my tub, and the lights will stay connected to the bottom of the box.  Sit down, plug in a battery, and push a button for lights! Need to recharge? No biggie, just pop out the battery and stick it in your pocket at the end of the day.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dewalt Battery Light Power Source
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2022, 09:17 PM »
Nice. I'm in the process of doing something similar with a Milwaukee battery. Bought a holder off Amazon and wired it to a convertor that steps it down to 12vdc. Wired to a 5.1mm jack I mounted in the Clam corner console that the lights plug into.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:52 PM »

I built one about 2 years ago it runs my vex and my airator ,lights and my fan on my big buddy heater. It gets used all year

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:38 AM »

I built one about 2 years ago it runs my vex and my airator ,lights and my fan on my big buddy heater. It gets used all year

I drew inspiration from your build!!! For my intended use though, I wanted the box that the battery sits in to be mounted to the sled.  I've got another 12V adaptor for use "on-the-go".

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:47 PM »
lots of dewalt battery adapters on the ebay for 15 bux

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:23 AM »
be careful you don't run the battery down too far, dewalt batteries don't have a cutoff built in....  you will damage the battery making it unable to be charged if you run it too far down.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:40 AM »
be careful you don't run the battery down too far, dewalt batteries don't have a cutoff built in....  you will damage the battery making it unable to be charged if you run it too far down.

Oh ...I learned something today ..recently a IS member ran into that situation on his 996 w/5ah ..he said he could not even "jump" it to take a charge ..may be a differnt problem but food for thought

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=386734.msg4215937#msg4215937
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:17 PM »
Oh ...I learned something today ..recently a IS member ran into that situation on his 996 w/5ah ..he said he could not even "jump" it to take a charge ..may be a differnt problem but food for thought

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=386734.msg4215937#msg4215937

Reading the topic, sounds like a defective battery

Even those cheap Chinese 12v adapters for the batteries wont completely turn off and will eventually drain the battery if left plugged in.  I designed a circuit i built that completely disables the output from the battery to prevent over discharging...   it's almost completed, just have to get it into a box with all the plugs I need.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:12 AM »
So I did something similar. I got tired of lugging around a SLA battery just for shack lights. I already use a Milwaukee M18 battery for my auger so it only made sense to have it pull double duty.
I bought a Milwaukee battery adapter off Amazon for about $12, and a DC converter to knock it down to 12VDC. Wired it all together and tied it into a 5.1mm jack mounted in my Clam corner console. I may add a switch and a 12VDC socket to charge a phone at some point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.