Author Topic: Pike setup?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Pike setup?
« on: Dec 08, 2021, 08:58 PM »
I keep a MH bait casting rod in the wheel house set up for Pike. Then when one comes around messing up the fishing.....we drop it down to try and catch the pike to get them out.

So.....my question is what do you guys mainly use or have luck with catching larger like?

Offline KatJohn7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike setup?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2021, 11:31 PM »
I have great luck on smelt. 4-6 inches long and bout 18 inches off the bottom

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2021, 03:24 AM »
tip up with a small perch or gill on it, set to the side.  i like a willow leaf blade up the line a bit for more attraction.  at night its a glow blade instead.

if i was using a rod to get bit, it would something loud on it. a ripped rattle bait should make short work of the intruder.  the louder the better.  i used to weight rattle traps with "suspenda strips" in the 90s.  i believe it called fish into the area from far away.  id walk around and rip jig that thing hard amongst the tip ups.  bass and eyes grab the trap also.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2021, 10:38 AM »
Rattlebaits have worked well for me over the years. Ones with a lower  pitch seem to be better.

Recent reading has me looking more at "swimming" style baits like the big jigging Raps (which I have a few of) and the like. I would think if that's true I'll also be experimenting with some big ol' Airplane jigs I've got stashed away and tip 'em with, well, most anything that smell good and fishy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:58 PM »
On the few occasions that i jig from my stabbin' cabin I always have a rod setup w/ leader and a can of Vienna Sausages.
I've caught quite a few also using em' on tipups when out of live bait.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2022, 06:41 PM »
Darters, Airplane jigs, spoons, jigging raps.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2022, 10:01 PM »
Rod wise? I have a cut down cheap medium casting rod that I hacked to 40" and put a handle on. Baitcast reel with whatever line I have, doesnt really matter IMO. 30lb braid, 50lb braid, 10-15lb mono/fluoro. Goes to a small steel leader and a 1/2oz chrome lipless rattle bait. If theres one down there, he will come look at it.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.