The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Ice Sled  (Read 3082 times)

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Ice Sled
« on: Nov 28, 2020, 03:48 PM »
So, I am downsizing my ice rig. In the past I have hauled my 40 lb Strikemaster auger in a low sided long sled. I built a box on it with rod holders, bucket and gear storage. Works great but the low sides fill with snow and its bigger than I need. I have now gone to a shorter , high sided sled. My auger is now a battery powered, lighter , and shorter rig. Still will have a bucket, rod holders and gear attachments but will be only 4 feet long rather than 6.
Any good ideas on designing a new sled? Let me know. I attached a picture of my old reliable.

Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Ice Sled
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2020, 08:09 PM »
Buy a black Otter sled like the one in the background of your picture.  There is a lot of entertainment value in doing a do-it-yourself project, but the Otter sleds work well.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2020, 01:09 AM »
A sit-on-top kayak makes a pretty good ice fishing sled.  They have lots of room for gear, they have a built-in seat, they slide nicely on ice and snow, and due to their length they stay on top of deep snow.  And if you like to get out on sketchy ice early in the winter and you break through, it'll float you and all your gear.

Offline IONman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:54 PM »
I bought a Shappell sled from Sportsman's a few years ago and it's served me well.  You can also get a cover for it that's nice to keep snow out of your gear whether pulling it out by hand or behind a snowmobile.  Both sled and cover are fairly inexpensive.  I like the higher sides on this sled compared to the Otter, and the price is better. The rope it comes with isn't worth anything but is easily replaced.  The XL size works great to fit shelter, auger, chairs, heater, and the rest of the gear for multiple people under one cover.  Go smaller if just taking one or two people for easier pull on the ice.

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-supplies/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-sleds-accessories/shappell-jet-multi-purpose-utility-sled-black/p/p133771

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-supplies/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-sleds-accessories/shappell-jet-utility-sled-cover/p/p133773

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:34 AM »
PM Pete,

What a great suggestion. I am not certain my wife will be happy with me trying this out with her yet to be unwrapped kayak but is it ok for me to suggest to her that you said this was an ideal off kayak season use for such item. 

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:48 PM »
So, I finally made my new custom sled. half the size and weight. The Battery Drill auger is also way lighter and takes up little room. No strain lifting it in and out of the truck. Supports rods and has a cushion to sit on. Being organized saves time. I made the rope pull twice as long. Now I can simply throw the rope over my shoulder and just walk. The longer rope doubles as a safety rig. Shove the sled to the victim and pull. High sides keep the snow out of the sled. The slide in/out bucket, with a spin lid is easy to use and doubles as a second seat, for the guest. I still use a ski pole to check ice and keep me from slipping.

Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:09 AM »
So, I finally made my new custom sled. half the size and weight. The Battery Drill auger is also way lighter and takes up little room. No strain lifting it in and out of the truck. Supports rods and has a cushion to sit on. Being organized saves time. I made the rope pull twice as long. Now I can simply throw the rope over my shoulder and just walk. The longer rope doubles as a safety rig. Shove the sled to the victim and pull. High sides keep the snow out of the sled. The slide in/out bucket, with a spin lid is easy to use and doubles as a second seat, for the guest. I still use a ski pole to check ice and keep me from slipping.

Looks awesome! Love the brook trout paint job!

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:39 AM »
a ski pole.....

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:58 PM »
Digging the paint job!  Looks like a good setup to me. The types of add-ons people attach to the sled, atvs, etc. seem to be a matter of fishing style. Some like having holders for everything, others like being able to move stuff around. Your setup seems to have holders for enough but also freedom to take things off. You ever need to get rid of that for some reason and I know you’ll have some takers :thumbsup:
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:58 PM »
I am real happy with my scaled down sled and drill powered auger. Alot less weight. The ski pole is for testing the ice and keep me afoot. I made the sled box slightly higher than a bucket. Better angle to sit on. Just 4 screws and I can lift the box out of the sled. Now the sled can be used for something else. The high sides are better as well. No sow falling into the box. The longer rope makes for ann easy drag. Heading onto Hyalite this week for another adventure. Fishing has slowed but is still quality.

Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:22 PM »
A ski pole is not a safe device for checking ice thickness. Get an actual spud bar and leave the ski poles at home.

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Ski poles do help an older angler walk. The point and round base adds good support. For shallow, snow free ice it quickly ids thin ice. A spud bar is a better tool for checking thickness. Also, follow tracks of other anglers, especially the big ones!
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.