The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hyalite is hot!  (Read 11781 times)

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hyalite is hot!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2020, 05:12 PM »
Interesting thread.  I would rather hike, ski, or take horses to inaccessible areas to fly fish, hunt, or icefish to avoid people.  It always amazes me how people just want to catch or shoot the big one.
There is great satisfaction in fair chase in remote areas.  It’s all about the experience, nature, and meat in the freezer.

fritz2324

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Catch fish, not feelings!!!

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Is there anywhere you DIDNT post this?

My thoughts too. I'm getting real sick of seeing this pop up everywhere with the first words being the lake. Someone now doesn't even have to read the article to get the info they need. And its pretty much the closest lake to one of the biggest metro areas in Mt. It doesn't need any help getting more popular. I have seen more people up there now than in years past, and I get that its a big lake but come on man, if everybody starts hammering limits out of there things are going to change fast.
This crap will now come up forever when someone googles "Hyalite icefishing". Ten years from now its still going to be hotspotted. Everybody in the county already knows about icefishing there, but now they don't have to go take the time to go make their own reports. Everybody wants something for free.
Our version of your favorite realtor Mfish.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:39 PM »
This crap will now come up forever when someone googles "Hyalite icefishing".

Exactly !!

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:11 PM »
So if we can't promote fishing at Hyalite, where can we promote it? We already agree it is heavily developed and within a  short distance of a large percentage of Montanans. Can you actually "hot spot" a place like Hyalite? My own feeling is if you can watch your tipups from the public crapter, it's not a secret honey hole.

As far as I can tell, MT Grant's actual job is to publish outdoor stories and encourage people to go fish. I don't read minds, but my guess is he's aware of "hot spotting", but probably couldn't imagine anyone applying the term to Hyalite.

If people aren't using the lake to fish, fishing has less support when it comes to outdoor recreation planning and funding.
Don't want more people fishing there? Fine. But don't complain when the FS  prioritizes some crazy bullcrap like "ice biking" over ice fishing because it has more user support.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:46 PM »
you know I am torn on all this. I like to give reports, on the reports and conditions pages. Always try to prioritize the ice conditions etc as much or more the fish and how n what I caught them on. I do understand pressure on fisheries can end up ruining them for everyone. Not everyone catches and releases, or at least only keep a few. I still like to hear where and on what people were catching them on and like to report my adventure as well. Sad that it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone though and when mass idiots show up it is never a good thing. I really am torn on this subject. Don't need or want to brag but do like posting what I caught and where. It helps me and hopefully helps some other respectful fishermen/and women. Now if I see you being an ass out on the ice or leaving trash or something like that well..... I'm 6'2" 275lbs of mean double awnry Idaho redneck so you best just stand the hell back lest you become bait. Anyways Have Fun be Respectful, try not to spoil a good thing.
Fish On and Tight Lines.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Should have been posted on the reports and conditions page

Offline fridayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:30 PM »
So if we can't promote fishing at Hyalite, where can we promote it? We already agree it is heavily developed and within a  short distance of a large percentage of Montanans. Can you actually "hot spot" a place like Hyalite? My own feeling is if you can watch your tipups from the public crapter, it's not a secret honey hole.

As far as I can tell, MT Grant's actual job is to publish outdoor stories and encourage people to go fish. I don't read minds, but my guess is he's aware of "hot spotting", but probably couldn't imagine anyone applying the term to Hyalite.

If people aren't using the lake to fish, fishing has less support when it comes to outdoor recreation planning and funding.
Don't want more people fishing there? Fine. But don't complain when the FS  prioritizes some crazy bullcrap like "ice biking" over ice fishing because it has more user support.

good point. any lake gets hot one day and slow the next. a list of hot lakes is not hard to come by either. lets try and get a grip. either this site is to help others and share or it isn't. but those who think it shouldn't be should look at why they are here at all. trying to be internet bad asses I suppose.

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:41 PM »
I don't think caring about the well being of a fishery by advocating some use of restraint and common sense on a fishing forum is being an "Internet Badass"...IMO

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:03 PM »

Offline Gone_fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Yup but you can fish with the Pautzke Bait guys and blast Georgetown to their 25k YouTube subscribers and it's fine but God forbid boomer post a video, or MTGrant say Hyalite is hot

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Georgetown is  the most heavily fished and stocked lake in  lake in MT. You'll also notice all the info I've contributed for that lake and only that lake on its report thread :) if you think me talking about the most popular lake in Montana is the same as hotspotting everyplace I go like the guys you mentioned... Then we will never agree.

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Yup but you can fish with the Pautzke Bait guys and blast Georgetown to their 25k YouTube subscribers and it's fine but God forbid boomer post a video, or MTGrant say Hyalite is hot
Everybody and their dog knows about G-town.
Kim can blast Tiber or Peck all she wants, she fishes them hard and knows her stuff. Plus pressure on either of those lakes could increase tenfold and you still wouldn't have to be within 400 yards of another fisherman on them. And they take a little more experience, resources and gear to fish safely and successfully. Apples to oranges comparing a small mountain lake near a big city and a body of water with more miles of shoreline than the California coast located in the frozen tundra that can eat your lunch.
It won't change how I fish but it does make me cringe a little to see a good thing get blasted. Just my 2 cents.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline deadstick81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:32 PM »
Hell creek marina just posted on Facebook. They are getting pike on smelt on Boy Scout point in the bay. If u can’t handle the competition. Do something different. No one hates an ice fisherman more than an ice fisherman

ChillNtheMost

« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:07 PM »
Hell creek marina just posted on Facebook. They are getting pike on smelt on Boy Scout point in the bay. If u can’t handle the competition. Do something different. No one hates an ice fisherman more than an ice fisherman

I think you, me, and hell creek marina know it’s not as simple as throwing a smelt on a tip up in the bay.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:29 PM »
This mt. Grant guy has been
Posting like crazy about hyalite this season, must have moved to bozangeles recently. The parking lot with roughly 100 spots has been completely full nearly 7 days a week. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:39 PM »
Hot spot Fort Peck all you want.
I have fished it  for 27 years and it changes every year,
The pro fisherman are there every year and the amount of people hasn't changed.
It's not a lake for everyone It's big ,spread  out and you better be prepared.
I have taken people with me that wont go back, to hard.

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:12 PM »
In my opinion, that will never change, a lot of this information on these hunting and fishing sites isn’t even fair chase. Same as getting on 2 way radios and broadcasting to your buddies where the elk herd is. just via a different medium. Think about it. These sites have ruined fisheries. Is that fair?

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #48 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:32 PM »
Missoula favorite realtor claims it her right to do whatever she wants with public lands... Imagine if everyone felt that way. Adios public lands....

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:57 PM »
If you are upset about a post hotspotting,  dont reply to that post.
If you care that someone is doing it for the likes, offer them a polite private message about how the forum functions as a community.
If you upset out how many people are fishing by you, go further.
If you care about your fisheries, be active with local fish and game.

IceShanty is an awesome place that has been a big part of my love for ice fishing. I have learned so much about ice safety, ice gear, fish habits, biology, fishing tips, and countless other topics. I have had people offer me extra ice gear just because they wanted to.
I have learned the ice conditions or suggestions on places to go for different things. Sometimes for where the fish are biting, but mostly i look for where i will be alone or only a few other fisherman. And the other men and women who go out to those places quite often end up being really great people.
And hot spotting wont happen any worse at Hyalite than the exgra traffic it will get anyway from the city's growth.  It gets cold, windy, and snowy up hyalite just  like anywhere else. But most importantly, fishing conditions change. Only they hidden secrets or the tough to get to places are always hot. Anywhere else will vary. People may go to Hyalite because of this post but if they don't have the same experience they are hoping for they probably won't keep going back. Ice fishing isn't for everyone. The more people who support the industry, the more resources for fisheries.

Mtgrant is also no stranger to post about how his Hyalite fishing trip went. Most often in the reports and conditions page, but ive seen his post in Ice fishing Montana . He has always offered great, helpful, and informative posts about where he was, conditions, fishing, and what he used. I dont know they guy, but I have come to appreciate what he shares because it has been helpful to me. This post seemed similar to his others.

It seems people are fired up. Same time last year the threads turned sour. I dont know if its just a stressful time of year or if we havent done enough ice fishing lately. But a deep breathe and leading by example might be a better way to go.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 16, 2020, 12:22 AM »
Meh, they're just fancy carp anyway.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Ill bet good money carp taste better   :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:44 AM »

Poor man's tuna

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:29 AM »
Georgetown is  the most heavily fished and stocked lake in  lake in MT. You'll also notice all the info I've contributed for that lake and only that lake on its report thread :) if you think me talking about the most popular lake in Montana is the same as hotspotting everyplace I go like the guys you mentioned... Then we will never agree.

Hyalite Reservoir is 35 minutes outside Bozeman (with the Bozeman metro area holding 100,000+ people) and is extremely popular for local ice fisherman as it freezes early in the season (since it is in the mountains) and is full of small to medium trout.  This spot gets tons of pressure but still retains tons of trout.  Is it possible to hotspot an already hot spot? Is it possible to freeze water that's already completely frozen?

Georgetown in comparison is 35 minutes from Anaconda (which has just over 9,000 people living there) with the next closest place (1 hour away) being Butte (which has 35K people living there). So in comparison Georgetown is not AS near any big groups of people, especially when you look at its proximity to the Major cities in Montana (Billings, Missoula, Bozeman, Great Falls, Helena, etc).  (Note: It is 1 1/2 hours from missoula, 2 1/2 hours from Bozeman)
That being said, Georgetown does get a lot of pressure, as it is well known what an incredible fishery it is.  But how does a place kinda far away from the main cities of Montana get so much renown for its quality fishing? According to a handful of people in this forum, it is Youtube videos like this:

This whole forum thread is eerily similar to the hate I was getting last year for doing something similar, but the main difference is that I have listened to how upset it makes people, and have chosen to not name the "less popular" spots in my videos.  If you have been fishing there before, you will recognize the spots I fish from my footage, but I am not blasting some fishing spot in the middle of nowhere anymore, as I can see why it upsets people.  That being said, I don't think Hyalite fits into this category, because it is extremely popular and well known from Belgrade to Bozeman to Billings.

(and for those that don't know, that video features MissoulaFish, the user complaining about hotspotting in this post)

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 16, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Hyalite Reservoir is 35 minutes outside Bozeman (with the Bozeman metro area holding 100,000+ people) and is extremely popular for local ice fisherman as it freezes early in the season (since it is in the mountains) and is full of small to medium trout.  This spot gets tons of pressure but still retains tons of trout.  Is it possible to hotspot an already hot spot? Is it possible to freeze water that's already completely frozen?

Georgetown in comparison is 35 minutes from Anaconda (which has just over 9,000 people living there) with the next closest place (1 hour away) being Butte (which has 35K people living there). So in comparison Georgetown is not AS near any big groups of people, especially when you look at its proximity to the Major cities in Montana (Billings, Missoula, Bozeman, Great Falls, Helena, etc).  (Note: It is 1 1/2 hours from missoula, 2 1/2 hours from Bozeman)
That being said, Georgetown does get a lot of pressure, as it is well known what an incredible fishery it is.  But how does a place kinda far away from the main cities of Montana get so much renown for its quality fishing? According to a handful of people in this forum, it is Youtube videos like this

This whole forum thread is eerily similar to the hate I was getting last year for doing something similar, but the main difference is that I have listened to how upset it makes people, and have chosen to not name the "less popular" spots in my videos.  If you have been fishing there before, you will recognize the spots I fish from my footage, but I am not blasting some fishing spot in the middle of nowhere anymore, as I can see why it upsets people.  That being said, I don't think Hyalite fits into this category, because it is extremely popular and well known from Belgrade to Bozeman to Billings.

(and for those that don't know, that video features MissoulaFish, the user complaining about hotspotting in this post)

Just when I started to watch your videos again and notice how you've toned things down you go and make a post like this... :blink: 

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Just when I started to watch your videos again and notice how you've toned things down you go and make a post like this... :blink:

I couldn't help but chime in on this one, I'm sorry, still working on my internet self control  :P

That being said, my point is that you can't hotspot places like Hyalite, Georgetown, Fort Peck, etc because they are already hot spots.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #56 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Jesus are you still trying to justify fishing  for likes? Youre a real prize Paul:) if you hand gotten your balls busted by everyone  you'd still be blowing up every single place you go. A video from the most popular ice fishing lake in MT doesn't even begin to compare to your ignorance buddy:)

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:09 PM »
Jesus are you still trying to justify fishing  for likes? Youre a real prize Paul:) if you hand gotten your balls busted by everyone  you'd still be blowing up every single place you go. A video from the most popular ice fishing lake in MT doesn't even begin to compare to your ignorance buddy:)

Multiple people on these very forums sent me that video calling you a hypocrite bud, so maybe tone down the vitriol and not worry about how other people choose to spend their free time.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #58 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:16 PM »
Video is posted here, it's not a secret Cheif.  Don't you have another lake to be blowing up;) gonna make a video at Frenchtown Pond too. Instead of running your face you should come volunteer.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:22 PM »
All i want to know is where i can buy fire corn???!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.