Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips

jpohlic's shanty design - a 4x8 that expands to 12x8

(1/7) > >>

jpohlic:
Greetings all, I'm a long time lurker but since the design phase of my shanty is almost finished I thought I'd share it with you and hopefully get some comments and suggestions before I start construction.

The design parameters required my shanty to fit in the back of an 8' truck box, have space for at least 4 people to fish, space for 2 medium sized dogs, room for a card table, sleeping space for at least 2, and a wood stove with enough wood storage to last through the night.

I read through every shanty design thread on this forum and was inspired greatly by the Michiana Shanty 2 http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=118125.0 (thanks for posting all the detailed photos and construction info). I was also inspired by the folding butterfly houses developed in the Philippines a few years ago My design is very similar to the butterfly house although I wanted to be able to unfold my shanty without help so I made some changes (I didn’t want to have to hold the roof up to unfold the floor). I'm hoping to be able to unfold it single handed in less than two minutes

My shanty starts out with a 4x8 footprint and unfolds to 12x8. Here it is in its folded position ready for transport.

jpohlic:
Step 1 - Unfold the walls 180 degrees

jpohlic:
Step 2 – Unfold the floor, place blocking (same height as the skids) under each corner

jpohlic:
Step 3 – Lift roof

jpohlic:
Step 4 – Fold the walls into final position and latch them together and latch them to the floor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version