The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: PK Lures Help!  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Klock12

• IceShanty Rookie
PK Lures Help!
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I am going to order some PK Lures and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. What styles, sizes, and colors do all of you PK users recommend for up here in the Helena area?

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: PK Lures Help!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:58 PM »
I have had success with the pink pearl glow, red dot glow, and pearl chartreuse in the flutterfish and copper, nickel, and red dot glow in the spoon... both in 1/4 and 3/8 oz... go bigger if you feel like chasing bigger walleye or other species... I have been targeting trout ranging from 10-20 inches. They work amazing for me--- but with most lures out there you have to trust em and commit to em to produce.

Offline Klock12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Thanks double! That helps a lot! I am going to get a good assortment, but obvioulsy I can't get them all right now. At least now I know where to start!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:57 PM »
My favorite pk is the 1/4oz copper flutter fish. My buddies been doing well with the 1/4oz half glow half nickel spoon. I also really like the shad pattern and glow firetiger. I think 1/4 & 3/8 are about perfect size for anything around here. Last season I ordered a couple spoons and ended up putting in a second order shortly after, now I'm looking at doing another order cause I REALLY like the look of the new colors. That new gold clown looks like money!

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:05 PM »
The half glow half silver has caught almost all my fish this season. Just tip with a minnow head and there is not a fish that will not hit it. I have got perch, ling, rainbows, walleye and pike on it this year. The gold flutterfish in 1/8 was awesome at Bynum for perch, I lost my 1/4 to a pike the fist time using it  :(

Lundin when you are ready to order let me know ill go in with ya to save a little on shipping.

Offline Klock12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Thanks Guys! I just sent off my order. I have about 14 different lures comming in a variety of styles, colors, and sizes. Has anyone used the PK Panic at all for either ice or open water fishing?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:14 AM »
I played with the Panic tonight. Looked great in the water but I was on a school of small fish. It has a pretty good sized hook and I don't think they could open that far. I will be playing with again soon and tipping it next time.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:35 AM »
I just ordered a couple spoons and flutter fish and I am really excited to see how they work!
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Klock12, Hoping to have mine by this weekend! If I do I will let you know how they worked for me!?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:32 AM »
If mine were lost or stolen, the first three I'd order would be Flutterfish in Gold Plated, Copper Plated, and Rainbow in 1/4 oz. 4th would be a Firetiger Flutterfish. After that, add a few in Flutterfish 1/8 oz, then maybe some Spoons in 1/2-3/8 oz.

I tend to lean toward the Flutterfish for better action, and the fish I run into aren't normally over-aggressive. I do have them up to and over 1 oz along with a number of Panics, though the 1/8-1/4 oz Flutters gets the line time as a rule. I'm really digging the Gold Flutterfish, and it's purdy too! :tipup:

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:40 AM »
Thank you for your input wyoutdoors I will try some of these as well.... back to the website I go ;D

Offline Klock12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Definitely some good info wyoutdoors! And a great pic, too! Casv2002, do let me know how they work out if you get a chance to use them this weekend. I won't get a chance to hit the ice this weekend. I'm going to git the show at the fairgrounds Saturday but am alone with the little one Sunday. Next weekend I plan on getting in some good ice time with my new PKs though! :tipup:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:36 AM »
I do have a wide selection of Pk Spoons as well, from 1/8 oz up to 1 oz. They are a faster presentation and great for the first drop down the hole, as they fall quickly and are good for pounding the sediment to attract fish in. When I first hit the water I'll begin with the spoons to attract fish to the hole if there are no marks on the Vex. The spoons are also great for ice trolling while searching for active fish throughout the day. Once dialed in, and finding out how they are responding, I'll switch to the Flutters for slower presentations. So don't shy away from a few spoons.  :tipup:

Offline Klock12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:51 AM »
That is great info wyoutdoors! I did order a good mix of spoons and flutterfish so I can give that technique a shot! That is a good shot of the spoon Zoo Angler, nice fish, too!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:53 AM »
I took a 3/4 oz Rainbow Flutterfish and removed the stock treble hook, added a fastach and a red single hook for lakers with success. Also dropped a larger PK Panic with success. This was in 120+ fow.  :tipup:

Offline TinaG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Im gonna eat you little fishy"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Very nice fish guys! I also just ordered a selection from PK- should be here today or Saturday. Do you tip them with bait at all?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:06 AM »
I haven't tipped with anything. Although you can tip with a small minnow head (with the larger size spoons) as long as it doesn't impede the action too much. I've heard of others using spikes or waxies on them as well. :tipup:

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:09 AM »
I have fished them bare and also tipped with a couple maggots or a mealworm. When the bite is slow it seems that a little bait on the end helps increase success a little bit... One day last season as soon as I run out of maggots I quit catching fish--- so depends on the day!

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Has anyone tried taking the treble off of a panic, and replacing it with a hali chain? If so were there any issues of the chain tangling with the flutter blades?
MT

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:19 AM »
The smaller flutterfish I like putting the artificial Berkley minnow heads on them. The spoons I use real minnow heads, perch eyes, and perch belly meat as well.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Zoo Angler are those fire tigers hammered on side and smooth on the other or are they smooth on both sides and they also make an all hammered one?

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Zoo Angler are those fire tigers hammered on side and smooth on the other or are they smooth on both sides and they also make an all hammered one?

Hammered on one side and smooth on the other. I believe all of their spoons and flutterfish are made that way.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Hammered on one side and smooth on the other. I believe all of their spoons and flutterfish are made that way.

Thank you, it wasn't clear on their web site on the flutter ones if they were showing two models in the pictures or both sides of the same lure.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Alright y'all, these damn things better, cause I might be getting a divorce once my order shows up in the checkbook  :-\
MT

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Alright y'all, these damn things better, cause I might be getting a divorce once my order shows up in the checkbook  :-\
MT
I feel your pain!! Just wonderin how the wife will take my second order? :unsure:

Offline Klock12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I'm there with you guys, too! I figured that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! And if that doesn't work, well then there will be more time to use the new PKs!  ;)

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:05 AM »
MT

LOL yeah mine includes an order for an 8" Nils hand auger too, glad I don't have a wife when it comes to buying fishing, hunting and trapping gear for myself and the kids. The GF likes to fish, but women get weird when they get married or at least the two I married sure did. I wish you could get a pre-nup that says "if they change after marriage from how nice they were as GFs the marriage is instantly annulled" :) LOL would have saved me a lot in lawyer fees over the years for sure, but if you end up needing a good divorce attorney I know two and can get you contact info for them. Because I'll be honest, if it comes to a choice between a woman and fishing, hunting, or trapping, well......I'll miss her :)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:19 AM »
UGGHH!!! I just caved in and ordered a pile of them! I need help ;)

Offline TinaG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Im gonna eat you little fishy"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Cornbread, just the opposite for me!  :o  Have to drag hubby out to fish...he only likes to fish when its warm out LOL  My PK order should be waiting at the Post Office today. Can't wait to try them. The PK website has many good videos and testimonials by fishermen who use the lures, very educational for newbies like me!

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I threw one Panic in the mix of stuff I ordered just to play with it. Might be nice for targeting some of the nigger eyes! I'm excited to get all of mine also casv2002. I hope to have them here by next weekend so I can start icing some monsters!  ;D

oh no you didn't  :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.