Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226559 times)

Offline GD Mosey

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #1200 on: May 26, 2023, 10:00 PM »
So where do we chat in the summer? Heading to Battersea/Loughborough for the first time with my baby kayak. I am intimidated to say the least.

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1201 on: Nov 01, 2023, 12:23 PM »
Well we got snow last night enough to cover everything but doesn't look like it will stay but we can only wish. Deer hunting next week, then more goose and with any luck ice!  :icefish: :clap:

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #1202 on: Nov 04, 2023, 07:03 PM »
Well we got snow last night enough to cover everything but doesn't look like it will stay but we can only wish. Deer hunting next week, then more goose and with any luck ice!  :icefish: :clap:

Good luck hunting buddy! I might get a chance to drop a slip bobber for walleye in the next two days but temps are in the minus most of the day here now and double digit minus most nights. Should be walking on the ice in three weeks, fingers crossed 🤞
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1203 on: Dec 09, 2023, 03:44 PM »
I went and checked out one of the brook trout lakes in Frontenac PP today. Only about an inch of ice so it was a no go.
Jon
P.S iam too old for hiking

@jzuliniak

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1204 on: Jan 02, 2024, 01:18 PM »
Chomping at the bit to get in the ice with new toys. Any good ice out there yet?  Looking forward to a good season.

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1205 on: Jan 02, 2024, 01:33 PM »
The bay on Dog Lake off Sunbury Rd is frozen over (just drove by) but NOT SAFE yet but maybe a week or so,i'm sure there are some bays around that would be OK maybe ? but haven't been to look yet. Will get serious in a the next week or two. :-\
   Stay Safe

Offline Hamma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1206 on: Jan 06, 2024, 10:28 AM »
If the lakes could freeze over soon, that would be great.  Temps look good after this rain comes in. Fingers crossed.🤞

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1207 on: Jan 07, 2024, 06:48 AM »
Got on a first ice lake Saturday before the snow had 3.5” of black ice managed a few perch. Hopefully the snow doesn’t sink the ice too much.
Jon

@jzuliniak

Offline Hamma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1208 on: Jan 07, 2024, 09:53 AM »
How far north of Kingston were you for 3” of black ice?? I heard Verona and Howles just froze over last night? Inquiring minds!

Offline Hamma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1209 on: Jan 07, 2024, 09:58 AM »
If anyone can share ice reports for surrounding area it would be greatly appreciated.  Save some time and gas driving around praying for a frozen lake 😂😂😂 happy fishing 🎣

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1210 on: Jan 08, 2024, 09:09 PM »
I checked out a couple lakes yesterday. Verona Lake had 2” black ice at 3 different entry points, no tracks, no go.

Bob’s lake I found 3” good ice on a back bay in front of a friend’s cottage. I fished it for a bit but stayed close to shore.

Fifth Depot Lake had 4” close to shore but as I ventured out 50m from shore it got pretty thin down to 2” and inconsistent. I setup just out front of the crown land launch. Within an hour I had 3 other huts setup right beside me. They also chose not to go out further. Guy next to me got one nice walleye.

No luck for me besides staying dry but it felt good to get out there.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1211 on: Jan 09, 2024, 07:02 AM »
How far north of Kingston were you for 3” of black ice?? I heard Verona and Howles just froze over last night? Inquiring minds!
maybe 25 mins north of Kingston, I went further north and some lakes were wide open still. 3 keys for first ice lakes around here. 1) little to no current 2) relatively shallow 3) most importantly, protection from the wind.
@jzuliniak

Offline Hamma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1212 on: Jan 10, 2024, 10:33 AM »
Thanks for the updates and information. I’ll be out this weekend. Happy fishing everyone

Offline Hamma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1213 on: Jan 19, 2024, 06:20 PM »
Verona was great today

4 pike

Solid ice 6-8” of the good stuff

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1214 on: Jan 20, 2024, 03:32 PM »
Good day to everyone,

Did a little scouting of lakes today. Fifth Depot Lake and Verona and Howes Lakes all around 8 to 9 inches of ice of which 5-6 inches are black ice. Very little snow on the lakes today so makes it easy to walk or pull a sled. Will be heading out to Verona to fish. Our minnows are ready to be devoured! Haha!

Right lines to all and be safe out there!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1215 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:02 AM »
I also had a good day on Verona yesterday. No walleye but good pike action. I'm the blue/grey Clam.

Anyone know good access points for Sydenham (other than main launch) or Hambly Lakes?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1216 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:26 AM »
Access to Sydenham is either the west or east launches, the beach or from the village but the creek there usually stays open. Otherwise you have to access via private land with permission. Humbly use to have a public access point but it was closed off years ago by some of the residents in the area. There is a creek access but it rarely freezes enough to access the lake.

Stay safe and tight lines!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1217 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:30 AM »
Good day pescatorial enthusiasts,

Heading onto Verona shortly. Will be in the grey Cabelas tent up near the mid-lake shoal. Stop by if you are on the lake today.

Stay safe and tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1218 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:30 AM »
Good day pescatorial enthusiasts,

Heading onto Verona shortly. Will be in the grey Cabelas tent up near the mid-lake shoal. Stop by if you are on the lake today.

Stay safe and tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1219 on: Jan 22, 2024, 09:34 AM »
Went out yesterday on to Verona lake. Caught several pike - no record setting size but they ran under the ice extremely well. There was a consistent 8” of ice on the lake. Safe for walking but would be careful about taking any snow machines out right now. The weather this week is not favourable for making ice but we will see. Anyway, enjoy the moments you can get out this winter but remember to be safe.

Tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1220 on: Jan 22, 2024, 01:27 PM »
Finally got out today on Collins with about 6/7 inches, no four wheeler track and one sled. We missed 4 and caught two decent pike but didn't stay long due to the cold high winds, better than watching fishing video's. @)
     Stay Safe

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1221 on: Jan 23, 2024, 09:51 PM »
Good day,

Hope that some of you have been able to get out on the ice. The next few days around here will be questionable. Remember to be safe out there. The more we all can share ice condition reports for lakes the safer we will all be.

Stay safe and tight lines.

Don
a.k.a.. levlathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1222 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:54 AM »
Good day to all,

Remember if you are going out this weekend, be safe. The weather is playing havoc with ice conditions. If anyone does venture out please share any ice conditions you experience while on any of the lakes. While it is always an individual responsibility to check the ice before you go out yourself, any info that others share is helpful in making sound and safe decisions.

On another note, will be picking up my Aqua Vu Quad camera tomorrow. These cameras have been few and far between to get and have been quite pricey in Canada (approx. $2600 CAD). However, Aqua Vu has a limited quantity of refurbished cameras, with a 1 year warranty, for $999.99 USD. Anyway, looking forward to playing around with the new toy along with our Livescope!

Be safe and tight lines to all.

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1223 on: Jan 28, 2024, 09:23 AM »
My son and I went out on a lake we have not fished before - 5th Depot Lake between Parham and Tamworth. Easy access to the lake. There was about 8 to 9 inches of ice (half of it black ice). There was about and inch or so snow slush on top of the ice so not to bad for walking out on. We marked fish on the Livescope all hanging out at the bottom in 17 feet of water. A couple of bites but landed only one tiny Pike. Nice lake and going to explore it more in the kayak and boat in the Spring time.

Stay safe and tight lines!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1224 on: Jan 29, 2024, 01:27 PM »
Went out Sat to the shipyard on Dog with no luck but about 9" of ice (2-3 snow, 6-7 black) and 2"of slush/water on top. The splake area didn't look very good at all so no going near that, some guy's that came later though it was open water as it was black compared to the rest of the lake all around it. Sunday was my go to spot with much better luck with the same ice conditions. We where surprised by the lack of people, sled's or atv's on the ice but I'm fine with that. :tipup:
    Stay Safe

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1225 on: Jan 29, 2024, 09:21 PM »
Hopefully this weekend will be better for ice fishing enthusiasts.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1226 on: Feb 03, 2024, 08:07 AM »
Went out Friday morning to check ice on Verona Lake. Still about the same thickness but you definitely need cleats on your boots. There were some areas around the shore where street run off had weakened the ice thickness. Be careful if you go out.

Tight lines and be SAFE!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline Hamma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1227 on: Feb 03, 2024, 09:55 AM »
Appreciate the update. You saved me a drive up to Verona today. I’ll be out tomorrow and I might check out some lakes further north too. Jump around and see what happens.

Cameron

Offline GD Mosey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1228 on: Feb 04, 2024, 07:43 AM »
Anyone going out today!?

Offline GD Mosey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1229 on: Feb 04, 2024, 12:27 PM »
If anyone is going out next weekend and can tolerate some company, please let me know. I've gone out twice on Lake Ontario but I need some ice. I have all my own gear.  Just tired of fishing alone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.