Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227942 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #690 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Hey Hardwaternewbie,

In Verona turn down Water Street and the boat ramp is straight ahead. Easy as pie. Head out onto the lake near the shacks and you should be into some fish. As for Collins Lake the best way to get on the lake is via the boat launch. However it is on private property so check with the house owner.

Good luck!

Don
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #691 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.  It is hard to tell if land is crown or owned. I don't have a boat either so I will have to find out where all the public boat launches are and go from there.

Offline celeste032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #692 on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Hey guys, looking to head out to Verona and Loughborough Lake, either tomorrow or Wednesday. Just wondering what I should pack in the tackle box. Any suggestions on baits and tackle. Whats hot and what fish are taking a liking to. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #693 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:13 AM »
celeste032

Good question.  I would be interested in that as well.  Heading out to both of those places hopefully this weekend.  As long as the weather stays away.

HWN
Darryl

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #694 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Well for Loughborough make sure you have white tubes. That is all ive been catching lakers on. And for verona i would try to get some advice from leviathon slayer if he's willing to give up his secrets lol as he seems to do quite well on verona when no one else is.
ECB

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #695 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 AM »
ECB,

Thanks for the info.  I'm from NL.  You?

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #696 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Im from NB and dont miss it at all. fishing isnt as good.
ECB

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #697 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Hey hardwaternewbie,

I was out on Loughborough this past weekend and as ECB mentioned the white tubes were what were drawing the lake trout up for at least an investigation (seems ECB was much more successful than me!). As for Verona Lake mud minnows or shiners seem to work the best.  However, tiny rubber grubs or wax worms are great for slaying perch, crappies and bluegills.  Hope this is helpful!

Don

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #698 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:34 AM »
ECB,

I don't miss it from back home either.  I just miss driving down the road and fishing on whatever stream you wanted.  No fences or private property anywhere.

Don,

Thanks for the info.  I actually went out to Loughborough yesterday after work to scout it out as I was never there before.  Really close and easy to get to.  Spoke to a few people coming off.  They did not have much luck.  Will be heading out Sat morning early.  Maybe get a few quick ones and home for lunch.

Darryl

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #699 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:37 AM »
debating on whether to get a portable fish finder.  Seems the way to go if you want to catch anything.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline glenn1776

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #700 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I just bought the vexilar fl-8 lowest based model around 300$ or you could spend up to 800 on the fl-21. marcum also makes one. Has helped me catching smelt and perch. I believe vexilar has a better line definition using less power making the battery last longer. just sayin. hope this helps
debating on whether to get a portable fish finder.  Seems the way to go if you want to catch anything.  Anyone have any thoughts?
Flag Up

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #701 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:59 AM »
I have the humminbird ice 35 and have no complaints at all. Its a great unit for $300. But there is many threads on here about flashers and once you start comparing humminbird/vexilar/marcum everyone has there own preferences and will always say one is better than the other. Just buy any flasher and you will be happy in my opinion and it will make your experience on the ice a lot more enjoyable and you will catch more fish. I can honestly say i would have probably only caught 1 laker this year if i didnt have my flasher.
ECB

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #702 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will take a look tomorrow.  Heading out today for a couple hours(hopefully) after work.  Would love to get a couple for supper.

Offline Possum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #703 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:19 PM »

I would be hard pressed to even consider fishing WITHOUT one any more!  A flasher works better for me for ice fishing.  A LOT of fun playing cat & mouse and being able to see where your bait is, and what kind of presentation is effective; or not!

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #704 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:04 PM »
i have the vexlar and love it , I've used the marcum show down and its cool and anything by hummingbird is great (all i have in my boat)

havin a flasher unit is good because there is no guess work about where you are in the fishing column
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline celeste032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #705 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Hey thanks guys. Hoping to use all the info, get out in the next couple days. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. At least we are getting some cold weather for ice. Anybody been out recently?any recent ice  updates. Hope to see you all out there next few days. Stay safe and have fun !! 

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #706 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I will be on Loughborough tomorrow morning and staying till about 2:30 or so. Hopefully i can get into the BITE again.
ECB

Offline chjeff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #707 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Hey everyone, just moved to Kingston recently for work, and looking to get out for some ice fishing.  Lots of good information posted here so far. 

Was hoping to get some of your help.  I haven't seen anything posted recently about this so I'll ask - what's the best place to get bait? Is the place south of Verona still open?  I've driven by several times, but it always looks deserted there and the gate is closed.   I live off of Hwy 38, but commute into Kingston on weekdays.

Second - I was hoping to get out this weekend for some fishing.  Haven't been on any local lakes yet.   I have a couple atv's if I need to get in somewhere that's harder to access or a drive down the lake.   But most importantly, just somewhere with safe ice and lots of fish.  Can anyone make a recommendation?

Lastly, if anyone is ever looking for someone to go fishing with, I'd be interested.

Thanks in advance!

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #708 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:24 PM »
Chjeff,
Check out the thread "Kingston + minnows"
I started it a while back. It shoudl have all you need.

As for fishing, Loughborough is a popular spot for trout, Collins for pike, and verona for everything.
Good luck!
KtownIce

Offline celeste032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #709 on: Feb 09, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Yeah I would defiantly like an update in the bait situation. Around Verona where's the best place to get early morning bait. Still the hardware store? Or sumwhere else?  Thanks in advance hoping to get out there Tommorow looking to be a good day. How's the fishing been?  Anyone been out lately? Cheers thanks in advance

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #710 on: Feb 09, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Hello fellow pescatorial slayers! Another great day on Verona Lake with my son. Several perch and pike - more caught on rubber mealworms than on live minnows. Drove out onto the lake - there was a good 16 inches of ice but 2 to 3 ft snow drifts. Thank goodness for 4WD. Mind you met Joe who just bought an Argo and boy did it chew up the snow and ice!

As for getting minnows, the South Frontenac Rental Centre on Colebrook Rd. in Harrowsmith sells minnows. As well, Canadian Tire off Gardiners sells minnows as well. Leonard's gravel pit off Hwy 38 no longer sells to the public - he supplies Canadian Tire.  Avg cost for medium minnows $5 - $5.99. Large between $6 - $7.99. If you are venturing out further Norris Sporting Goods between Crosby and Newboro has minnows as well.

Tight lines fellow slayers! If you are in Verona tomorrow We will be out there again! Look for the Ice Shanty flag!

Don

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #711 on: Feb 09, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Any bluegills or crappies being caught? Hardwood creek is infested with massive bluegill during the summer. They got to be stacking somewhere.
Andrew

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #712 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Hey tip-uptwo,

The bluegills and crappies are hanging out in the back end of the south bay. There are some large schools we see on the Aqua-Vu but every time they get interested in the bait the pike move in on them. Consequently they are constantly on the move but not venturing out much further than 18fow. If you want a quick bite from them offer up small rubber grubs. They are taking to long to decide about small live minnows and then the pike move in. Lately the pike have been patrolling/hunting in pairs - it is actually amazing to watch on the camera!

Good luck, tight lines and ciao for now. Just heading out the door to Verona!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #713 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Another day on Verona Lake and although it was much slower still caught some perch and pike. It was strange watching people trying to follow our lead and driving out on the ice. Now a 4WD truck is a lot different than an AWD car with relatively bald tires. 3ft snow drifts will bring a car to a screaming halt. Our truck just sailed through the snow but others got stuck. Oh well, maybe they learned a lesson today!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline davemayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #714 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I just started going out to Verona Lake, haven't had a lot of luck. Is there any good place to fish it other than the populated bay area right near the boat launch? I love the lake, easy access and great people. Just haven't had many big ones :)

Offline J_M_Smith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #715 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Justin Smith and I'm a freelance writer with the Kingston This Week / Napanee Guide. I am doing an article on Ice Fishing in the Kingston area, and would like to interview a fisherman or two if possible.

If you are an avid ice fisher, have information to share about fishing in the area and the available lakes and such, and would be willing to answer a few questions via e-mail (or a short telephone interview if you prefer) then please e-mail me at [email protected].

It is currently Tuesday, February 12th. I have until Thursday, February 14th to write the article - so not much time. If you are interested or know anyone in the community that may wish to be a part of the story - or if you have information about Ice Fishing clubs, etc in the Kingston area, please e-mail me as soon as possible to set something up.

Thank you and I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Justin Smith
Freelance Reporter
Kingston This Week
SunMedia Corporation

Offline Possum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #716 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I commend your resourcefulness, Justin.  This is just the area to hook up with folks in the know AND who are willing to share.  I'd like to help you out but the Kingston area lakes are still on my "bucket list".  Too many lakes right here in my own back-yard that I'm still trying to work out!!

Do us all favour, and link back to your article once it's published...

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #717 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Justin
I can help with Loughborough Lake and all of Bay of Quinte, I usually spend about 45 days on the ice during the season. I made a map for the Quintefishing.com for those that do not know where to go and it gives a bit of info on each place. I usually fish for Walleye and Lakers other than that I cannot help. If you want to contact me just email [email protected]
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=44.134715~-77.208340&lvl=11&dir=0&sty=r&trfc=1&cid=1AD446CFA8A507FA!164&form=LMLTCC
Good Luck
Tim

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #718 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Justin,

Any info you may want I would be glad to help you out.  As well, feel free to post your questions in the forum and you may get more replies from many other anglers.  Since I created this forum we have had over 40,000 views.  One of the highest number for Ontario forums.

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #719 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Weekend fishing to include a day on Loughborough Lake. Going to spend some time seeking out lake trout.  Never a shortage of opportunities!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.