Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227928 times)

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #540 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Tyboy and SEOO - how was the ice out at Quinte?
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for the last 2 weeks.  The ice at the church (Hay Bay) was approx 6-7 inches maybe more.  Has anyone been there since?  How are the ice conditions now? 

On that, has anyone been out to Verona recently?  How`s the ice and the fishing?

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #541 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:18 PM »
Verona has lots of ice, but the end of feb slow fishing has set in early and the bite ius not like it was a few weeks ago. I will be there tomorrow though, yellow and grey hut with the black tarp roof

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #542 on: Feb 19, 2012, 11:34 AM »
The ice at the church (Hay Bay) was approx 6-7 inches maybe more.  Has anyone been there since?  How are the ice conditions now? 

I was at HAy Bay (perfect vu) last weekend.  Ice was solid 7 inches in the bay, but we saw open water around shermans.  We didn't find anything buyt perch, but some other guys caught a few nice walleyes.

Anyone been to Quinte this weekend?
Tight lines

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #543 on: Feb 28, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Was out on Verona on Sunday.  Perch fishing was pretty good.  I caught my biggest Perch ever...13 inches.  I thought I had a Walleye.  Lots of ice, I would say approx 18".

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #544 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Was out on Verona on Sunday.  Perch fishing was pretty good.  I caught my biggest Perch ever...13 inches.  I thought I had a Walleye.  Lots of ice, I would say approx 18".

Nice size Perch!!!

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #545 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Here is an awesome site for maps.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #546 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:22 AM »
I was out in verona after work alst night and the bite was actually pretty good!  I got my first bluegil of the season and some perch.  They were hitting really hard last night!  There is tons of ice out there, 16" at least.  The shore is starting to get eroded though...

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #547 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:26 AM »
Where you near the huts off of Water street.  I should be heading out there with my wife and kids tomorrow morning.  Hopefully my kids will have a bit of fun.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #548 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:34 AM »
I was.  One of those huts is mine :)  There is plenty of ice for driving, but there is a big sloppy rut right at the shore, so I just walked out the 2 minutes to the spot. 

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #549 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:01 AM »
I went out yesterday, my son caught a 2lb pike and I got busted off.  We were targeting perch so no leaders.  The one my son caught was on a pink 1/16oz jig with a small Gulp minnow (1") on 4lb test line.  I use to own a 1" jigging spoon before it was busted off.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #550 on: Mar 03, 2012, 07:04 AM »
I have been catching a few of those unexpected toothie buggers...its funny when you nearly soil your self from the unexpectedly big tug lol

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #551 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals,  I'm heading out to Looughborough in the morning to try for some Lakers, I'll let ya know how I make out.  ;D

Ruckus

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #552 on: Mar 04, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Jelous,    I cant go fishing this weekend... I had to buy a truck instead ( sigh ) and it looks like perfect weather out there today... Let us know how you do... Next weekend im there for sure... just hope the ice holds a little longer... The TWN says Warm....
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #553 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:47 PM »
what did you get, a megaram? lol

Jelous,    I cant go fishing this weekend... I had to buy a truck instead ( sigh ) and it looks like perfect weather out there today... Let us know how you do... Next weekend im there for sure... just hope the ice holds a little longer... The TWN says Warm....

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #554 on: Mar 04, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Ha ha ha... as soon as I read your comment i cracked up laughing.... Yes indeed i did get a Ram.. 09 Dodge 1500 Sport, Sunburst Orange Peral.. looks sharp.. My user name came from my old truck.. A Dodge MegaCab.... I was thinking i might have to change my name soon if i bought a different truck..
I pick it up Weds... can't wait... Now i won't have a time to be back when the wife needs the van... yippie..  ohh and at the same time i was buying the truck.. she bought a 06 mustang Convertible... So its all good in our house... i got what i want, she got what she wanted... all is good........
I will post a pic soon...
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #555 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:29 PM »
dope!

I bet my 1993 3.0 v6 toyota t100 has more balls than your new truck!

this was very obviously a joke:)

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #556 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Well, went out to Loughborough this morning and got one little guy (2lbs) on a dead Smelt and that was it.  They seem to shut off after an hour of daylight,  I guess they must move because we don't seem to mark them either.  We were in 38 feet of water so I would think they go deeper once the sun is up?  Any thoughts or advise?

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #557 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:47 AM »
welcome to the board Ruckus!  How was the ice on loborough?

I seem to catch lakers a little deeper later in the day, but they do roam.  I've had good luck in the 60-100 fow mid-day.  Were the dead smelts you had head-on or off?  I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them with the head on  ???
Tight lines

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #558 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:02 AM »
welcome to the board Ruckus!  How was the ice on loborough?

I seem to catch lakers a little deeper later in the day, but they do roam.  I've had good luck in the 60-100 fow mid-day.  Were the dead smelts you had head-on or off?  I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them with the head on  ???

Thanks,  it was nice to find local ice fishing info.  The ice is still good, about 10-12 inches but a little messy on top with the warm weather.  Yeah the dead smelt didn't have heads, we got them at Walmart.  I might get out again this week so maybe I'll try a little deeper.  We also tried jigging with white tubes, Gulp minnows and Williams White Fish,  do you jig or mostly just set dead sticks?

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #559 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:42 AM »
all jiggin for lakers.  I usually set out a dead stick if I'm going to be there a while, but I've only had one taker on the dead stick for lakers and I didn't manage to land him.

white tubes are the ticket for me out there, with smelt if I can find them. 
Tight lines

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #560 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Ok,  maybe that will help, we've been using mostly dead sticks and maybe thats why we only get them first thing in the morning.  So you tip the Tube with a smelt?  Just tell me if i'm asking for to much info.  Do you tend to jig hard, like 3-4 feet per stroke or just jiggle it a bit.  (That didn't sound right!!)  LOL!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #561 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Yep, tipped with smelt when I can find it.  I've done well without though too.  I usually jig pretty aggresively untill I see one show up on the flasher, then it's up to the fish and how they're feeling that day.  Sometimes dead stick works, or pounding the bottom, or running it up and away can be good too.  By no means am I the laker master, but I have done really well on them this year with some good advice from guys on here and the addition of a flasher.  ;D

Some good info here:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=220058.0
There's lots more if you search the site for loborough or even lake trout.
Tight lines

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #562 on: Mar 08, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Last night was a sad night; my shanty is now in the back yard waiting to be stored for the summer :(

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #563 on: Mar 08, 2012, 10:05 AM »
well, at least it's not frozen into the ice  ;)
Tight lines

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #564 on: Mar 08, 2012, 10:09 AM »
True...that wind storm last week did a number on it, so there were a few pieces scattered on the ice, but since it was so warm out nothing was frozen. 

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #565 on: Mar 09, 2012, 07:34 AM »
Ya, Laker2011 and I hung up our gear for the season two weeks ago...been busy and now with the mild temps we're working on getting the boat ready for April 1st. Almost there!!! :)

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #566 on: Mar 09, 2012, 07:40 AM »
oh I am not don'e for ther season yet, there is still a good 14 inches out there, it's just covered in water.  I am going to try to get out and sit on my bucket for a couple hours next week.  Hmm, sitting on my bucket ice fishing in a t shirt sounds like a bucket list type of thing....with next weeks warm temps I may just do that!

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #567 on: Mar 09, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Awesome! I had a good season and I know there is tons of ice but colour me lazy / excited for open water season. I'm going to take the next three weeks to get the boat ready, get our ice fishing gear cleaned up and stored and check some more "to do's" off the wedding list so that when April hits I can fish more...well, that's what I'm hoping for lol!

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #568 on: Mar 09, 2012, 09:25 AM »
haha, I feel ya on the wedding honey-do list...I am sending the caterer $1000 dollars this week (took us some time to save it since the last chunk we gave out) and we still haven't made/send out all the invitations.  (Did you get yours yet?)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #569 on: Mar 09, 2012, 09:28 AM »
9am53 - 14" where?  Verona lake?  I'm going to head out this weekend in search of fishable ice.  I'm hoping for loborough or dog lake.  Anyone seen the ice there lately?

Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.