Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227912 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #240 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:46 PM »
I usually go to Moulton lake, park at the kingford damn and you can walk over devil lake and follow the trails.  Lately there have been more people going there as it is only a half hours walk to get there.  It is great there in may...We also like to go to Tetsmine, we access it off highway 10, it is a 1 hour walk through the woods, but nobody goes there, and we pulled up a 3 pound speck there 2 years ago...I also like canoe lake in the summer, but it is not technically in the park...
cool good to know, I went to moulton in the fall and fished from shore but only managed a few tiny specs, is that road by the dam plowed in the winter?  It was in pretty rough shape in the fall.
@jzuliniak

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #241 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:13 PM »
canoe lake road and devil lake road get plowed...eventually, but the little driveway thing that goes down to the dam usually gets pretty hairy.  I would not go right after a snow storm, or with a little car...I have never tried canoe lake in the winter, but it is deep.  I have caught pike and smallmouth in the summer, but heard there are lakers in there too.  Access is really easy, drive the same way you would to get to moulton, but take a left onto James Wilson road (I think the sign only says "Wilson rd")   I think it is off of canoe lake road, but may be off Devil, I can't remember, but take it till you get to the water, on the right hand side is Canoe, and on the left is Eel.  Both are good in the summer, no cottages, and nobody goes there for some reason.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #242 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Hey guys theres also pattys which is way better than the lakes in the park my buddy lasty winter got almost a six pounder there through the ice last winter its about ten minute walk through the woods

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #243 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Hey guys theres also pattys which is way better than the lakes in the park my buddy lasty winter got almost a six pounder there through the ice last winter its about ten minute walk through the woods

Where is this lake?
@jzuliniak

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #244 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Just past the park on canoe lake road

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #245 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Just past the park on canoe lake road

cool thanks, found it on the map, what is the access like, do you just park on the side of the road and walk in? 
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #246 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Cya on Sunday Adam.  I will be the big guy in camo!

i'm hoping o get out on verona lake sunday afternoon/evening.  I'll be the guy in orange pants with blue stripe....name's Dave - come say hi!

good luck out there...
Tight lines

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Sweet! 

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #248 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:42 PM »
you guys head out from Water st?  I've never been out there, want to stay dry :)

I'm going around 3pm - who's going to be out there?
Tight lines

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:43 AM »
I likely won't be there anymore.  Water street ends at the lake, once you turn off of 38 you can see it.  The lake is small so you just park and walk.  I have been stuck on the ice with all the slush and snow twice this winter, I am not trying it again :)

Offline Craig17dt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #250 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:51 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Was out on Collins Lake yesterday from 11:30 -2:30. Pretty active from 12:30 to 2:00. Had 8 runs on tip-ups and two landed jigging. Nothing big on the ice only around 2-3 lbs.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #251 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:13 AM »
I have my shack on Collins, no good luck for us this year.  Have you caught any crappie there this year?  Last year it was all about them, none this year so far

Offline everbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #252 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:01 AM »
haha, same here actually.  I usually fish dog, collins, frontenac park, upper rock, draper loborough etc.  But I like the taste of perch, and they are something he might enjoy fishing for...
I was wondering how much ice you were on? We are going onto the Gilmour end but havent fished Dog yet this year.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #253 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Anyone feel like going to dog t day for splake or pike let me know wanna leave around noon

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Or maybe some brooke trout at another lake near verona

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:10 PM »
I was wondering how much ice you were on? We are going onto the Gilmour end but havent fished Dog yet this year.

I was at the shipyards where it drops off, there was about 9 inches there. 

Just got back from Verona Lake...nobody came to visit, Where were you at Don?  I had a beer with your name on it!  Not much action, maybe a half dozen perch, no crappie.  I didn't move around much though, my little brother didn't really want to work too hard :)

Offline Medy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Don. thanks for the tip yesterday at verona. we were there five min when my little guy caught a nice pike. it was very nice having a chance to put a face to a name

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #257 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Sorry Adam I was up at Loughborough Lake this morning (and caught 3 lakers) and never got out to Verona until 15h30.  I will be out at Verona again next weekend. Was out there yesterday and we caught about 45 perch and 4lb pike - today caught only 15 perch but only stayed an hour.  Found a winter weedbed which is still green and the fish are stacked up there. Anyway, sorry I did not get a chance to see/meet you today.

Cheers for now

Don
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #258 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Hey Medy, it was great meeting you and one of your sons. I am glad that Sam was able to hook into a nice pike - he looks like he means business when he goes fishing- hahaha!  I hope that made his day!  Looking forward to running into you again on the lake.  And remember, right now the fish are right off the bottom - the oxygen levels have not depleted or stratified yet so the best fishing is about a foot off bottom!  Good luck and until next time - keep those lines tight and the holes open!

All the best Medy and keep on hooking them Sam!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #259 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I was at the shipyards where it drops off, there was about 9 inches there. 

Just got back from Verona Lake...nobody came to visit,

hey - sorry I missed you on Verona - still want to give it a try for panfish.  Lunkrhunter convinced me to head out to dog lake for splake.  Good afternoon out there in the snow, had a few on the line - only iced one...Lunkrhunter iced it - I'm eating it....good guy ;D
Tight lines

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Look for the Frabill shelter
« Reply #260 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Hey Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer,

You mentioned you were out on loughborough lake and caught some lakers.  My brother and I are interested in fishing loughborough and we were wondering about the ice conditions.  This is our first year ice fishing and we are really green when it comes to ice conditions on various lakes.  I also hear we are supposed to get a lot of snow over the next couple of days. Is the ice less safe with a lot of snow on it? how much ice is considered safe for the amount of snow we've got?

I apologize for all the questions, just thought we should ask a seasoned hard water fisherman.

Good luck out there and stay safe.  :)

Vern
Stay Safe and Tight Lines.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #261 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Yes it can get more dangerous the weight of the snow pushes water up through the holesand opens up natural ice holes which usully dont have good ice around them but youll be able to see them they look like black holes in the middle of the snow as from what i have seen on most lakes now. but most lakes have thick enough ice now so id juist spud ahead and keep ur eyes open try not to venture around alone especially if its snowing and visibility isnt so good

Offline OVFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #262 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Managed to get out to Upper Rock Lake with the girlfriends' 13 year old son for a day of fishing (his first time ice fishing) and I have to say he did pretty good for a first-timer. We managed to get 4 Splake and 4 Perch, with him catching the biggest Splake of the day, about 16 inches, with the rest being 11-12 inches. Judging by the smile on his face, I don't think it will take too much prodding to get him to go out again. It was a good day, weather was decent, and the fish were cooperating. Looking forward to our next outing together, perhaps Draper or maybe Paddys if I can find them.

Here's a pic of him with the first Splake of the day.....

Good Fishing To All

OVFisherman

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Yeah paddys is very good bit of a hike but well worth it

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Hey Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer,

You mentioned you were out on loughborough lake and caught some lakers.  My brother and I are interested in fishing loughborough and we were wondering about the ice conditions.  This is our first year ice fishing and we are really green when it comes to ice conditions on various lakes.  I also hear we are supposed to get a lot of snow over the next couple of days. Is the ice less safe with a lot of snow on it? how much ice is considered safe for the amount of snow we've got?

I apologize for all the questions, just thought we should ask a seasoned hard water fisherman.

Good luck out there and stay safe.  :)

Vern

Vern,

The questions you posed are good ones.  Time for a little thermal glacial physics!  First, the ice at the western end of Loughborough (Kepler end) is around 9"- 10" thick. The problem with excessive snow on the lake ice is not the weight of the snow but rather the insulation effect of the snow on the ice. The snow will actually cause the surface layer of the ice to melt. Consequently you get watering up on the lake.  If the sun and wind get to the watered up snow/ice it will cause the ice to slowly melt  If you have below freezing temperatures at night you start to get "snow ice" which forms on the top of the lake ice.  This ice is more of crystallized ice which is weaker.  It should be noted that in sub-freezing temperatures lake ice forms 50% slower when covered in snow.  All this is to say that with a large snowfall coming the freezing of the lake will be much slower than usual.  I would be careful heading out on the ice. Although 4" - 6" is safe for walking on at anytime it is hard to predict consistent ice conditions when there has been a heavy snowfall.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Take care and stay safe!

Don

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #265 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:05 AM »
Hey fellas,

Thanks for replying to my post.  As usual the information found here is tremendously useful and essential in determining ice safety.  Your responses are greatly appreciated as we all most definitely prefer to stay dry out there.  Good to hear that the west end of loughborough has some solid ice.  My brother and I may wait a week or so before venturing out that way as it's supposed to be quite cold over the next week and maybe the ice will thicken up a bit.  Good luck out there everyone! And thank you again Lunkrhuntr and Leviathan_Slayer.

Take care,

Vern

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #266 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:23 AM »
Hey Vern it's Adam, what's going on? 

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #267 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Hey Adam,

Not much going on just trying to get in as much fishing as possible.  So Andrew and I have taken up ice fishing this season.  Good times! We are waiting for you to join us one of these days maybe teach us a thing or two.  Hey, us and a couple guys are going to Hogan's bay this Saturday if you want to join us.  We are also really interested in fishing for lake trout on Loughborough.  Let us know if you can make it saturday and if not we'll have to get together sometime soon.

Later,
Vern

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #268 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:31 AM »
I might be able to make it Sat actually.  What time are you guys heading out?  If really early it might be better for me to stay in kingston at Andrews.

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #269 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Sounds good to me! Hogan's on Saturday for anyone else interested!?

Andrew

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.