Author Topic: First Skid House Build: 8x10 Progress Pics  (Read 1906 times)

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
First Skid House Build: 8x10 Progress Pics
« on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:48 PM »
Hey All,
So after years of wanting to build a skid house, I finally pulled the trigger. Building an 8x10 with 10” wide skis. I used 1/4” HDPE for the skins.

I don’t necessarily plan on using this as a permanent and I’ll probably move it between a few spots on my home lake. I’m hoping the HDPE keeps the bottoms from freezing in. But my question is, is there anything a can coat the outside of the runners with to help prevent them from freezing in?  I was thinking of spraying the sides of the skis (2x10’s) with flex seal or this stuff called Winter Wax to help prevent any freeze ups. Anyone have a proven go to? Below are a few pics of where I’m at with the build. Thanks in advanced!

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
When you get it to your spot, jack it up and put scraps of 2x4 under the runners. You can easily knock the 2x4s out of the ice with an axe or spud when you move or take it off the ice. Your shack stays above and doesn't freeze in. If you leave it right on the ice any water or slush that pools will eventually freeze onto the sides of your runners and its very difficult to chip out no matter what you coat it with.

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
I was hoping to avoid blocking it up every move but it sounds like that’s the only full proof way to prevent it…

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
depends on what you have for pulling power, it will be easier on your machine and you if you jack it up ;)
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Hey All,
So after years of wanting to build a skid house, I finally pulled the trigger. Building an 8x10 with 10” wide skis. I used 1/4” HDPE for the skins.

I don’t necessarily plan on using this as a permanent and I’ll probably move it between a few spots on my home lake. I’m hoping the HDPE keeps the bottoms from freezing in. But my question is, is there anything a can coat the outside of the runners with to help prevent them from freezing in?  I was thinking of spraying the sides of the skis (2x10’s) with flex seal or this stuff called Winter Wax to help prevent any freeze ups. Anyone have a proven go to? Below are a few pics of where I’m at with the build. Thanks in advanced!

This might work. I use it on my auger flites. Works well. And says...SLIP Plate® will bond to any clean metal surface, wood materials, and most plastic surfaces like acrylics and polyethylene/polypropylene. We recommend that you try a test surface on any plastic before applying to the entire area

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_33203?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Chemicals&campaign_id=6478876245&adgroup_id=115972171828&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAiA4veMBhAMEiwAU4XRrytk_BglD-EWxudwQUeVptS21Ap-b_j7-l3Irp4Sn0ESZPb0NkyZQBoCPdQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=**censored**BG081sYkUAaQ1OMAXLzI8UFas98W5Vj3aiVHfK_8-1637749024-0-gaNycGzNCKU

There is also this...

https://www.amazon.com/F4-150c-Glide-Wax-Spray-150/dp/B01LXDGSVL/ref=asc_df_B01LXDGSVL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126403103&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14794906963685268544&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017467&hvtargid=pla-595185049432&psc=1
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
If you are going to move the shack at the end of the day after fishing I would be comfortable with 2 X 4's, other wise if it were me, I would be using a 4 X 4, I have seen in the right situation, water can flood your shack pretty quickly.  I leave my shacks in the same spot all season, I start out putting 6" blocks under the skids, then will have to add another 6" before the season is out.  I don't care how much pulling power you have to move a shack, if the skids are very deep in ice, at best the only thing that will move will be the hitch as it breaks away from the shack.  If you ever have to chip a skid out, or worse yet dismantle the shack because you could not chip it out (I did that once) then you will understand why it pays to be cautious. Thanks for the pictures of your build, please keep us updated as it progress's.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Blocking it up with wood is certainly the best way for a shanty like that.
When I used to use one we either used chunks of 2x4s or we would cut firewood and cut it to whatever thickness we wanted.
So we could easily cut them four or six inches or whatever and then stand them on end one on each corner. Then use snow to bank around the house to keep the wind from blowing under your shack and around your holes.
Usually one good whack or two with a splitting maul would knock them lose when we wanted to move it but if they were really Frozen in there at the end of ice fishing season there was no harm in leaving the wood out there as it wasn't plastic or anything that would be considered real trash.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Be sure to make an attempt to get your blocks out. Makes everyone look bad when there's crap all over the ice at the end of the season. Turds and TP is another one folks seem to be too willing to litter the ice with.

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the feed back guys! I think I might try that SLIP Plate as a precautionary measure and then still plan on blocking it up just to tried and true.

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
Hoping start on the framing sometime this weekend. Two more questions that have been in the back of my mind...

1. I've purchased 1/2" osb for the sheathing and think I am going to return for 1/4", has anyone used 1/4" osb on theirs?

2. My plan is to finish the entire build down below in Illinois and transport it 350 miles to our cabin up in Wisconsin via snowmobile trailer. Anyone have experience transporting an 8x10 long distances like this?  I would have it strapped down well with 2, 3" ratchet straps over the top length wise and width wise.

Thanks!

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Before you try any of those amateur suggestions, I'd suggest getting ahold of Clark Griswold. That stuff he put on his saucer sled seemed to work good.

BA DUM TSS
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
I used luaon on mine, once you try to move it, jack it or get it onto a trailer, you’ll want it light. My floor is pressure treated and it was 7x8 when I put it on a regular 2 place snowmobile trailer (my buddies). It was heavy enough to bottom out the springs where the tires were digging into the plywood. I just have a 4Runner and he has a Tacoma. Unless you have a full size truck and a trailer rated for 3,000 lbs, you won’t be doing 55 mph.
It must be something in the water.

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
I was going to rent a 2 place snowmobile trailer because it has the tilt. Maybe I’ll rent the 4 place as it has a 3500lb capacity. I’ll just have to figure out a way to load it on the trailer without a tilting bed. I’ve got a Grand Cherokee with 7200 lb towing capacity so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The one I had was 6x8 and it fit perfectly on a two place snow machine trailer.
Tilt the bed and slide it on.
There were some holes in the side of the trailer sides for attaching ratchet straps but we just stuck lag bolts in them and bolted it right to the side of the skids.
We didn't have to travel far but there were no issues in the 10 mi or so we hauled it.
But it wasn't super heavy either.
I've also wasting them on a trailer with a rope along.
Once you get the skid started on the trailer wrap your rope around The shack then through the rope along and tie it to the tongue of the hitch.
Then it was a simple matter of ratcheting it onto the trailer.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: First Skid House Build: 8x10 Progress Pics
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Here’s some pics from this weekends progress. Got the base finished up, tow bar, front and rear pull hooks installed Friday. Then got to some framing Sat and Sun afternoon.

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Did you use a plastic sheet for the bottom of your runners?
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Forget all this amateur info you get on here. Get your skids out to the edge of your house, otherwise spend a day banking. You need a solid foundation to put a handyman Jack under, usually inside the front or back of the house. Screw the 2x4’s unless it starts freezing in. You can get REAL bad advice from the newbies on this site.

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:23 PM »
Did you use a plastic sheet for the bottom of your runners?

Yes, HDPE on the bottom of the runners, 10 1/4" wide

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:27 PM »
Forget all this amateur info you get on here. Get your skids out to the adge of your house, otherwise spend a day banking. You need a solid foundation to put a handyman Jack under, usually inside the front or back of the house. Screw the 2x4’s unless it starts freezing in. You can get REAL bad advice from the newbies on this site.

Had to have them towards the center a little bit so it will fit on my trailer.  Wanted the 6" overhang on each side to get that extra 1' width wise... The first set of floor joists on the front and rear are triple 2x4's notched into 2x10 runners (not shown in the first few pics). Hoping thats plenty of beef for pulling in either direction and jacking.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:49 PM »
You’re going to hate it, banking will become a very big deal.

Offline bspeech3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2021, 06:49 PM »
You’re going to hate it, banking will become a very big deal.

Banking as in wanting to pull one way while towing?

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:52 PM »
Banking as in piling snow around it!!  ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:50 AM »
B, at the risk of being a pessimist, and I apologize for it. That whole skid system looks like a disaster waiting to happen. The first time you get stuck and frozen in a little bit and try to jerk that house loose you’re going to tear those skids to smithereens. Unless you’re a whole lot more careful then my friends and I ever were with skid houses I’d reconsider that whole bottom. Skid houses take a lot more abuse than you think, even pulling them across the lake is hard on them.

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2021, 09:21 PM »
B, at the risk of being a pessimist, and I apologize for it. That whole skid system looks like a disaster waiting to happen. The first time you get stuck and frozen in a little bit and try to jerk that house loose you’re going to tear those skids to smithereens. Unless you’re a whole lot more careful then my friends and I ever were with skid houses I’d reconsider that whole bottom. Skid houses take a lot more abuse than you think, even pulling them across the lake is hard on them.

Some 2x4 blocking prevents you from freezing in in and ripping anything apart. I've seen some pretty solid builds ripped apart trying to yank them out after freezing in and a number of broken tow straps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.