Author Topic: Fold down handle ice reel  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fold down handle ice reel
« on: Sep 15, 2021, 06:14 PM »

2 of my summer reels I use for ice fishing have bit the dust I use 1000 size reels I do not like the ultralight tiny spools. I looked at the Daiwa QC 750 but it looks like the spool is tiny any recommendations? would like to spend about 60 bucks a reel. I do not need to use these for summer they can be just for ice fishing but I like the 1000 style shallow spools tend to work. I did try unscrewing the handles last year but lost one and on ice one more thing to fiddle with. You would think with all the ice fishing innovation and rod lockers they would gravitate toward flip down handles. Thanks for any help The spool does not need to be 1000 but I just don't want those tiny coiled spools If you have the Daiwa 750 is it between the tiny spool and 1000? the picture does not do much.

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fold down handle ice reel
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Pfluger president

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2021, 07:15 PM »
They fold down?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Amazon sells folks down handles, I've mentioned this in the past . They look kind of silly swapped out on higher end reels but push button folding handles are pretty uncommon

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2021, 07:39 PM »
I haven't seen much available with the quick folding reel handles available in larger sized reels. Clam makes one and Frabil used to make a Bro reel but I don't know if they still do. I haven't really checked out the Clam reel, but the Bro reel I have came on a medium heavy bro combo and was closer to a 2000 if I remember correctly. I hear you on the ice fishing industry  should gravitate to the fold  down handles though. I've switched to the Piscifun 1000 carbon X and those are nice and light, but they have the screw in handles as well. I did find that some of those old flip down handles I had gotten from some older Bro and Jason Mitchell combos fit on some old Mitchell Avocet 1000 reels I had though. They however would not fit on any Shimano or Pflueger reels that I had. Another thing I didn't like about some of those combo reels was that they had put the anti-reverse switch on the reel stem as opposed to the bottem of the reel body which made pistol gripping the reels a little uncomfortable for me. But anyway, if you manage to find what you are looking for let me know as I have a few different styles of ice rod cases and every one of them I have to take down my spinning reels for them to fit in the case. Fold down handles would be a big plus.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2021, 08:11 PM »
I think the Clam predator is geared towards bigger fish (maybe 1000 or 2000 size) if that is what you are looking for. The Frabill Bro reel I think is a smaller size...maybe 500 or 750? But the bro reel comes with a shallow arbor and a deep arbor spool.
Clam predator reel
https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/predator-reel.html
Frabill Bro reel
https://www.frabill.com/shop/ice-fishing/reels-combos/reels/bro-series-spinning-reel

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2021, 12:51 AM »
I would check out one of the Jason Mitchell reels from Clam. it is around a 750 size reel but has a over sized spool to reduce line coils that are common with smaller reals. another one to look at would be one of the Ice Team Carbon Reels. they are similar to the Mitchell. I personal run both and really like them.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2021, 06:46 AM »
I bought the QZ last year. It only cost $10 more than the QR, had more bearings, and sports those sexy cork handles. The drag is smooth as butter, and let me land multiple accidental channel cats and drum through the ice last winter. (Not dinks either, every one went over 5 lbs)

If you're looking for light/ultralight reel, I don't see what more you need. The spool is 1-1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch tall, holds 100 m of 4 lb test, or 150 m (160 yards) of 3 lb test mono.

I have Regal and Revros reels as my open water pannie rods, but those handles need a couple turns to unscrew the handles before they'll fold down.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2021, 07:27 AM »
Abu Garcia make the ICE MAX. It has a push button folding handle with a enlarged handle knob and an extended reel stem. Pretty nice little reel.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Lots of advice here thanks I'm not so much hung up on the spool size but last year used a Daiwa 1000 reel shallow spool line twist just about went away i just don't want one that is those tiny 500 spools. The Abu sounds neat to nice drag on that Bart?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2021, 01:11 PM »
The Abu sounds neat to nice drag on that Bart?

I'll be putting on a rod this upcoming season, I'll let you know.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Pfluger president

X2, best bang for the buck line of reels out there in my opinion.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2021, 06:36 PM »
X2, best bang for the buck line of reels out there in my opinion.

Does not have a fold down handle, which is what the OP is looking for.

I've been very happy the Daiwa QZ 750.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2021, 07:58 AM »
pfleuegar handles DO fold down - you unscrew them about halfway and they pivot on the ball end of the handle - you're likely after a size 25 president or purist
https://www.scheels.com/p/pflueger-purist-spinning-reel/8950-PUR20X.html ($20 off)

if you want a push button fold down (idk why you would though, they are usually clunky)
https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/jason-mitchell-reel.html
https://www.frabill.com/shop/ice-fishing/reels-combos/reels/bro-series-spinning-reel

Catchin' Fish

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2021, 08:06 AM »
pfleuegar handles DO fold down - you unscrew them about halfway and they pivot on the ball end of the handle - you're likely after a size 25 president or purist
https://www.scheels.com/p/pflueger-purist-spinning-reel/8950-PUR20X.html ($20 off)

if you want a push button fold down (idk why you would though, they are usually clunky)
https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/jason-mitchell-reel.html

Doesn't every spinning reel fold down if you unscrew it halfway?
Da Pack!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2021, 08:59 AM »
kinda what I was thinking.....

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2021, 09:43 AM »
Push button is more convenient

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2021, 10:50 AM »

I have to agree with  Matzilla and Missoulafish I don’t see it as a big deal taking 2 seconds to fold

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2021, 11:24 AM »
I used the Daiwa Revros 1000 shallow spool reel it works great but you have to unscrew the whole thing before it collapses and loosing a handle on ice is not fun not that I would know anything about that ;DAfter watching some videos on the mentioned reels it sounds like the daiwa QZ are noisy, the Piscifun have a lousy drag and IMO nothing from Abu Garcia has been worth a look to be honest I may just buy a few more Revros. I'm just confused in an industry that is so worried about which auger drills .3 seconds faster that reel manufactures don't see the benefit of a folding handle. I would personally like for summer reels as well they would fit in the rod lockers way better. I hate to spend $60 on a reel that sounds like a pea thrasher. I generally like Daiwa and was surprised of all the reviews of noisy bearings for $60 buck reel ouch. At least the Revros I could put on a panfish rod in the summer. Hey thanks everyone it's honest intel like this that helps us all buy what we need.

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2021, 11:24 AM »
To me the difference of having an actual foldable handle is convenience and not having to worry about losing parts by loosening the handle on reels when they don't have a dedicated fold function on the handle.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2021, 11:34 AM »
I don't normally mention the Kast King reels to people since they are on the cheaper end, but I've been very happy with them. I don't feel like a high end reel is necessary in winter (unless maybe you're chasing trophy pike or lake trout on a regular basis). The summer version has a push button for the handle to fold down, and it actually is pretty convenient. The centuron does not have the button. I also run the Kast King Brutus on my iFish pro set-ups for gamefish and have been happy with that reel.

Worth a look unless you like to chase the name brands - https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-Centron-Spinning-Reels-Size/dp/B06ZZ29RH4/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=kastking+reel&qid=1631896391&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4

Da Pack!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2021, 04:03 PM »
People like to blow money. A ten-buck Schooley works fine. Has for about 70 years.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2021, 04:48 PM »
I used the Daiwa Revros 1000 shallow spool reel it works great but you have to unscrew the whole thing before it collapses and loosing a handle on ice is not fun not that I would know anything about that ;DAfter watching some videos on the mentioned reels it sounds like the daiwa QZ are noisy, the Piscifun have a lousy drag and IMO nothing from Abu Garcia has been worth a look to be honest I may just buy a few more Revros. I'm just confused in an industry that is so worried about which auger drills .3 seconds faster that reel manufactures don't see the benefit of a folding handle. I would personally like for summer reels as well they would fit in the rod lockers way better. I hate to spend $60 on a reel that sounds like a pea thrasher. I generally like Daiwa and was surprised of all the reviews of noisy bearings for $60 buck reel ouch. At least the Revros I could put on a panfish rod in the summer. Hey thanks everyone it's honest intel like this that helps us all buy what we need.

I agree push button folding handles should be the norm. Almost all rod storage could benefit from folded handles. Hopefully someone will put out some quality folding handles soon. Current aftermarket options are functional but not pretty.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2021, 05:20 PM »
I’m in agreement with unscrewing the handle a few turns, and folding it. While the push button may save a little time, I prefer the security of a screw-in handle. I see very little difference time-wise between the two. I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2021, 07:40 PM »
10/4 on the schoolys.  I use 4 or so for perch in with fatheads

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2021, 09:09 PM »
I’m in agreement with unscrewing the handle a few turns, and folding it. While the push button may save a little time, I prefer the security of a screw-in handle. I see very little difference time-wise between the two. I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.
all of the push button reel handles are screw in secure.  It is a matter of convience really. All of the rod cases I have had  require the takedown/unscrewing/fold down of the handle in order to fit inside what they have designed the rod case to do. While i haven't used any of the bigger cases that have a spot cutout for each rod/reel setup, I am of the logic that a smaller case is a better case. There has not been a case I have found that allows you to keep the spinning reel handle intact where it is to just grab and go fishing. Ice rod cases only get bigger if you want to use a larger sized reel, and even then they do not fit without taking a handle or two down. On a side note...that eagle claw case only fits two of their inlines on each opposite side so that is another gripe. lol so yeah, to some of us, fold down handles are a plus!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2021, 09:28 PM »
I realize most reels handles screw into the reel body. My reference is to the push-button itself, which in my opinion is possibly the weakest link, and may be subject to premature failure.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2021, 09:19 AM »
I'm not sure if you've decided yet but I'll throw another one at you...Genz Panfish Popper. It's a combo. It's a small reel. Has a fold down handle. Review: Great little unit. While I'm guessing you don't like small reels due to line twist, this isn't bad at all. I usually use small barrel swivels with leaders anyway. No problems. But these things are bulletproof. I've had 4 of them going on my 6th season now and have done no PM's on them whatsoever. Don't freeze up. Still as smooth as the day I bought them. A nice drag. And they come in at about $35. Anyway...my 2 cents. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2021, 09:45 AM »
Iceassin dont recall Dave Genz having a Popper rod/reel combo ..but Frabill does

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2021, 05:18 PM »
Iceassin dont recall Dave Genz having a Popper rod/reel combo ..but Frabill does

Oops...you are correct HD. It is the "Spring Bobber "combo. Must be old age...if it ain't in front of me I don't know what I  have. Lol.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.