New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131540 times)

Offline stas60

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #480 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I haven't fished up there since I was a kid. I figured things may have changed a bit.
'

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #481 on: Jan 20, 2022, 06:57 PM »
Yo Stas

Pretty much as Stu stated in his post. There are multiple access ramps on the Pond, including, the Elms (golf course), the new state access at Stanley Drive and Green Point Marina over at Renshaw Bay.
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #482 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Follow up on the flyers for fishing Derbies and Tournaments  scheduled for the Pond this season. Eddies Cove Restaurant has a new owner. Her name is Amy, hence the new name is Amy’s Eddies Cove Restaurant. Welcome Amy , best wishes and good luck to your new enterprise. I will be over Friday evening to see if your fish dinner is as good as Louises. Derby Flyer attached.

Boggey

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #483 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:35 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Fished the Pond today and accessed at the Elms. The ramp was in good shape. Parking lot was plowed. I cut multiple holes but couldn’t buy a bite. Worked my way back over to Sebor Shores (long walk dragging my small jet sled). In this weather I elected to travel light and sit on my pail. Actually the upper crust held firm and the walk and drag were easy. The penetrating wind, was not as bad as yesterday and there wasn’t any blowing snow filling the holes, but the holes iced over quickly and had to be cleared continuously. The ice is in great shape . Most holes I witnessed 9 inches or better dark ice.
Snow drifts along the south and east shores have accumulated significant weight over the ice and even with the great ice conditions and cold temperatures have created some slush 20 to 30 yards out from the shore. All in all I managed a dozen nice perch for my days efforts. Best was a nice fat 12 incher.
Rethinking tomorrow.

Boggey

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #484 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:55 PM »
Have you heard  of any plans of dredging the opening this winter? I was talking with a local while getting wifes car serviced in Central Square and he heard it was in the wind.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #485 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:08 AM »
I haven’t heard about any winter dredging

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #486 on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:07 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Bitter cold yesterday. Minus 6 when we dragged out. 22 degrees when we came back in.

Brought the shanty out for the first time. Also talked my Anny into coming out with me. Bad news, the snow mobile is still in Fulton but with the Smitty the drag wasn’t bad. Anny probably had second thoughts , getting up early, dragging out, setting up the shanty, but once I got the heater lit 🔥 up she was as snug as a bug in a rug.

Continuing in that veign, much to her surprise and mine , she caught the first keeper, a nice 10” perch, and then the second. Well let me tell you, old Boggey wasn’t going to be shown up by a mere fishing neophyte. I bravely ventured out into the cold and started cutting holes to find the elusive “big ones” to catch up with my Anny. It took some time and many holes before I caught up and eventually overtook her.

After a few snacks and the lack of productivity in the shanty my fishing partner abandoned me and went back to camp. I wish I could say I then slammed the perch. This day it was not to be. A slow bite and 2 pike thefts, I lost 2 of my jigs to those denizens of the deep, perhaps the reason for the lack of perch activity on the hump. (Clue).

Let’s shorten this up. At 2:30 my fishing partner came back out to help me drag the shanty back in, but not before she dropped a line in one of my remote holes and promptly pulled out the last perch of the day, finishing as she started with a nice 10” perch.

Great ice, 10” + light snow cover, cold but beautiful sky filled with sunshine. Snowmobiles and wheelers all over the place with no problems negotiating the ice mat.

Incidentally only brought home a dozen. Anny and I decided to save the rest of them for the next time. You know, I think my Anny may have a future ice fishing with the New Old Guy. You think I can teach her how to clean them perch? Just sayin.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #487 on: Jan 23, 2022, 09:40 AM »
Hey Jim...glad to hear your Anne stepped up to the plate and took on the big guy...and with great success!!!  Good Job Annie...!!!

I sent you a PM...if I can be of any assistance hauling your sled from Fulton to the Pond - I can/will certainly do that.  I'm dead serious.

Planning to come up next Saturday - hoping we can get some fishing in.  PM or call me about sled transport.

~Arkangel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #488 on: Jan 24, 2022, 11:06 AM »
A bit late but.... A chilly day Friday but got out nonetheless.  In my haste to get out as soon as possible from Rochester, forgot to stop and get bait.  Luckily a good friend of mine mentioned he may be able to help me out with a few spikes to get me started ::) ::)  Thanks buddy!!  Not many on the ice that day and a bit chilly for my friend Boges, so I was on my own.  Other than the 4 degree day, beautiful, thanks to a shanty and heater.  About 9-10" of good ice with not much snow cover made the drag ok.  3 hrs later left with 8 nice 10" plus keepers, 1 or 2 nice fatties.  Good day, happy to get out.  As Bogey had mentioned, derbies every week in February.  I have a flyer for Feb 5th by the Mad River Club guys . Always a good time and good prizes. Bogey asked me to post  but not sure how, if someone wants to walk me through it, yell.  Enjoy the week and tight lines!!   

Stu

Ark, I'll give you a shout this week, I'm not ignoring you  ;D
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #489 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:47 AM »
...that's ok...Im used to being ignored ;D ;D ;D

My current plan is to (daytrip?) up from Bing area EARLY Saturday...arrive Pond 0700(ish)...fish till I don't want to anymore - then head for the barn.  Talk soon - let's fish!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #490 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:53 AM »
Sounds like the pond is on fire this year... :o
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #491 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:41 AM »
Sounds like the pond is on fire this year... :o

Yo TommyBoy

Yup, we got ice and we got fish. Who could ask for anything more? Tell me TommyBoy, how much ice you have down there in Virginia? You miss us don’t you brother?

BigBuck is coming up from PA next week to fish the Pond and make a trip up to Chaumont. Take a couple of them sick days you Govment guys accumulate and join us or has your blood thinned out too much?

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #492 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:01 PM »
...that's ok...Im used to being ignored ;D ;D ;D

My current plan is to (daytrip?) up from Bing area EARLY Saturday...arrive Pond 0700(ish)...fish till I don't want to anymore - then head for the barn.  Talk soon - let's fish!

Yo Ark,
Now I’m no pansy when it comes to harsh weather conditions. Heck, I’ve already been out on the ice 4 days on sub zero days. I’ve been out three days with winds gusting up to 40, sitting on a pail, but sub zero and gusting winds upwards of 40 mph, me thinks I’ll take a pass and teach Anne how to play cribbage in front of the blazing propane fire place. Just sayin.

Boggey

Post Script: The fish will still be there Monday I am sure.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #493 on: Jan 25, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Wish I could Boggey, headed to florida for training for three weeks, then one week back, then off on a cruise down to the Bahamas. then bsck down to Florida for another three weeks, then possibly off to Kuwait again...I have about an inch of ice on my little fish pond in the back yard right now....Make sure you guys are posting pics, and don't cheat on Scribbage like you did with me!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #494 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:57 PM »
Good to see you around TommyBoy!!! Man, are we missing those brats you used to bring to the pond!!!!😁 take care of yourself bud!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #495 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:56 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Week end is here, we got out today. First hole I cut was a winner. Pulled 18 perch out of the hole in as many minutes. Good thing as the slime log attack shut down my productivity. Lost 2 consecutive jigs. From then on I cut another 5 holes without as much as a bite. Guess I was lucky to get them early.

I was a pail sitter today with a steady 8-10 wind out there. Morning temps were in the low 20’s dropping steadily through out the day to 11 degrees when I got off the ice. Plenty of shanties in the morning ,but as the temps dropped through the day, I only saw 3 shanties out there at 3:00 when I left the ice.

I had an arduous drag out and back as that early morning snow accumulated to 3 inches of blowing packed snow with an ocassional 4-5 inch drift. Still saw 4 wheelers and snowmobiles negotiating the ice pack easily. As I said previously, the dark ice under the snow cover has continued to grow. Most places I cut at my end were 10”+.

Severe cold and high winds predicted for tomorrow. Be careful out there

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #496 on: Jan 29, 2022, 06:47 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Just a reminder. The Mad River Club is holding their, derby next week end. Flyer attached.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #497 on: Jan 30, 2022, 07:04 AM »
Yo Mom’s & Dads

The Mad River Derby is a great Derby to get the kids introduced to ice fishing. With alternate rain, snow and hard freeze the week before the Derby, be careful to dress appropriately for the youngsters. Try to keep it a fun event with good memories to last a lifetime.

If a first timer, perhaps another warmer first time introduction should be considered. This sage advise comes from a grand pa of 13 and great grand pa of 3. Still an individual consideration by all parents .

Good luck to all.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #498 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:31 AM »
Boggey - Sent you a PM.

Stu - thanks for reaching out Friday - how was the combo riding/fishing weekend...?  Fishing update?

Couldn't agree more on harsh conditions and the introductory first trips...could be a game changer for some. 

It's even been a cold winter for us weekend warriors...the weather always seems to dial down to subzero temps EVERY Friday night leaving Saturdays 20 - 30 - 40 below with wind chills  :o :o :o

Can't make Mad River tourney - I have baby doll weekend plans with MaMa - but I'm all in on SPSA tourney...Feb 12/13

Jim...glad you're still dialed in on the Pond.  Tight lines..!

~Arkangel

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #499 on: Jan 31, 2022, 04:40 PM »
Hey Ark, Didn't get on the ice this weekend, all riding.  I plan on fishing every weekend in February so I took the opportunity to put a few miles on the 'Cat with the bride and some friends.  The only ice I saw was Sunday afternoon when we returned and I took a spin out to the ice to see if I could find my buddy Bogey sitting on his pail.  There he was, reeling them in.  Sorry I didn't join you this weekend Bogey but we will met up this weekend, any of that chili left?  ::)
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #500 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:15 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Great half day on the Pond. Hooked up with one of my oldest fishing buddies (Big Buck ) and one of my newest (Arkangle). We got out late afternoon and fished till dark. It was a beautiful sunny sky, minimal breeze and great company.

It was a joy to kibitz with Arkangle, but BigBuck would have none of it. The irony of that is BigBuck is deaf. He just kept on smiling at Arkangle and me while continuing to catch perch.

Now Arkangle and I didn’t get skunked, but BigBuck sure put on a clinic when Arkangle and I couldn’t raise a pimple on a frog’s behind. Suffice to say Arkangle invested in the time and energy to set up his tip ups and brought a 20 inch pickerel and a 25 inch northern through the hole.

As I said, it was a great day for fishing not necessarily good for catching although between the Three of us I am now cleaning 19 perch and no slime logs. Arkangle returned both of his toothy critters to the depths of Sandy Pond . To eat more of my precious perch.

All said and done, a great day getting together with an old friend and a chance to meet and make a new friend. Ain’t that what fishing is all about? Well heck no. You’re suppposed to catch fish too 😁😁😁

Old Boggey was humbled today by both his fishing partners , but “humble” don’t last long in my world. Attached a picture of that new guy Arkangle showing off his prize of the day.

Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #501 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:24 PM »
i would rename  that  pike  to  dinner  with a  few  swipes of the  fillet knife.....  looks  like you all had fun  :thumbsup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #502 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:53 PM »

Nice haul Jim and company

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #503 on: Feb 01, 2022, 12:32 AM »
Yo Stu
As you can see from the pictures, it was a breathtakingly beautiful day on the Pond and sorry, when we got back to the camp, BigBuck and I finished off the chili. Not to worry, I got enough of that corn fed venison stew meat from my buds Hacket and Dallas to put a pot on the stove for this weekend’s Mad River derby forays on ice.

BigBuck true to his moniker, brought up some of that Penn State venison jerky to last a couple of weeks. Tuesday morning, BigBuck and I are heading up to Chaumont to hopefully get us one of them monster walleye they have been posting . Wish us luck.

Wednesday we are going to complete the hat trick by taking a trip to Oneida Lakes South Shore where my fishing bud, Vern is going to put us on the eyes,  “for sure”.😀😀.

All in all this life of being a retired fishing gypsy ain’t such a bad thing, it’s just life’s other adversities , such as frozen water pipes and broken washing machine are interfering with my fishing. Surely a man of such diverse talents can overcome these minor adversities and keep   on keeping on.

Tomorrow’s Chaumont trip to follow. Tune in to the saga “BigBuck and Boggey” take on Herrick’s Shoals

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #504 on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:05 AM »
Boggey...Big Buck...

It's always nice to land a few fish and we had just enough action to keep it interesting.  But clearly Big Buck out fished us both COMBINED - thereby qualifying him as winner of the $1 "first perch award" after icing the first cutter striper 3 minutes in.

I must admit that I didn't see either of my flags fire off  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: - Big Buck was more attentive than I.  Also noteworthy is that most of my tips ups had been cleaned of their bait when I brought them up for the evening...guessing I did a bad job hooking bait...or the denizen's of the deep are stealthy. :o

Stu...Looking forward to seeing you/yours on the ice soon...maybe SPSA Tourney...?  Get those miles in... warm weather and rain on the horizon.

Now for a spelling/definition lesson (this is for you, Boggey)...

"Archangel" - Greek for '"chief angel" or "angel of origin"

"ArkAngel" - clever spelling and idea by moi & the name of my boat (get it...Ark - Angel)?

"Arkangle" - how Boggey refers to me online - maybe a welding term...?  idk... ;) ;) ;D :)

Jim...you owe me 1 bowl of Chili for the trained minnows I left you yesterday...trained and blessed by ArkAngel @)

Safe travels, thick ice and tight lines. :icefish:

~ArkAngel

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #505 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:59 AM »
Yo Arkangle

Sorry about that. Correction noted and executed.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #506 on: Feb 02, 2022, 04:13 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Well BigBuck is not going to go back to PA with a huge walleye from Chaumont. We jigged all morning. Couldn’t even get lookers. Consolation we brought home 6 perch caught incidentally while jigging for eyes.

Last chance today, we are headed out to the South side of Oneida with one of my Pathfinder buddies who lives at waters edge. He has them eyes zeroed in and virtually promises an eye or two or three. We will see.

Anyway was glad to cut some holes through the hard water with an old friend. Hope he comes up this summer and we will take another shot at them monster Walleye on Chaumont.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #507 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:42 AM »
Jim...

Ummmmm....wellllllll.. ... ;) ::)...

Good luck on Oneida hardwater...talk soon.

~ArkAngel

Offline harpoonlocke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #508 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:44 AM »
How are the conditions from Green Point Marina? Thinking about getting out for a few hours thank you in advance for any information!
Check out the blog aacfishing.blogspot.co m

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #509 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:22 AM »
Harpoon...

Our most recent visit to the Sandy Pond - we measured 13" of solid dark ice...BUT...that was right off of Blind Creek.  Tents , wheelers and snow machines criss-crossing lake in every direction on the south side of the cut.

We obviously could not see around Greene Point - but know from different Ice Shanty posts that they are fishing there.

With 13" at Blind Creek - it follows that Greene Point area (north of cut) would be similar - but that is not an ice report on Greene point.

Anyone...?

~ArkAngel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.