New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dyken Pond  (Read 4634 times)

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
Dyken Pond
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Has anyone ever fished Dyken Pond, and had any luck with the Walleyes there? I fished it once last year and did pretty well on perch and Pickerel. Never even saw an eye come out of that water, hard or soft water.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dyken Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2006, 05:58 AM »
fzgil,
All my fishing experiences have been in the summer at Dyken Pond. Even then I never heard of anyone doing well.  I used to work up on a parcel of private land in that area  back in high school.  I never saw canoe's or boats out there which to me was never a good sign.
I have a question for you though....Have you had luck on Long or Shaver Pond fishing for trout?

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:05 AM »
Fished Shaver years back from shore and in canoe used to do ok with spinners but you had to get them deep. Never was much good w/ a fly rod...Never ice fished at the park
Sorry

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:34 AM »
Dyken is a fun place to go if all you want to do is just catch fish.  It is literally poluted with small stunted perch and pickerel.  I usually hit it once a year at night for walleye but in 6 years I am still without a walleye out of there.  There is a group of guys who set up a permanent shanty on the lake every year so maybe they know the trick?

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2006, 08:29 AM »
I have caught a few trout in Shaver but never any big ones.  I have also fished second pond but I have never caught a trout in there.  They say that they stock second with 3,000 a year but I hae yet to catch one.

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:14 AM »
I just sold my camp up there this past summer. The lake is so small that it really only takes one idiot to make everyone look bad. There's way too many camps up there. I was fortunate to be on 7 acres, most are on postage stamp plots.

As far as the Eye's. In the 6 years I had my place there I iced 3 and caught 2 on open water. There WAS a decent crappie population building, but I fear that they've been fished out as well. Caught some beautiful bass up there. Not huge, but the nicest color green that I've ever seen. Pickeral all over the place as well as small perch. I wouldn't call it a lost cause there, but there are better places in that area for all of the above species.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Camp BassFish,
How do you feel about Long Pond & Shaver Ponds? Do you think that one is better for catchin bows through the ice? Have you fished it before. What has worked? The ranger claims that they stocked it with thousands of trout... but I not hearing any buzz about it being a great lake for bows??

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:10 PM »
I have fished Shaver, Second Pond, and Trout Lake.  If I were to bet on catching bows it would be at Trout Lake.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Slipbob,
I have fished Moreau three times this season and had some success....Quality but not quantity and I'm ok with that. I have fished with icicles in 3-7 feet of water, just below the ice. I went up to Trout on Monday just to talk with some guys(before i knew about this site). Lots of Pickerel being caught :-\  I 've got the countour map for Trout Lake but I was surprised to see so many guys in what looked to be deeper water. Perhaps they were fishing for laker's ??? Either way if you have any helpful hints when it comes to Trout Lake...hook a brother up.  ;D
Oh...do you think Long and or Shaver is bad for bows??

Thanks

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:21 PM »
I saw lots of bows iced a few years back at trout lake.  Guys were fishing garden worms a few feet under the ice over 20 - 50 FOW.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Bigredonice,
Thats interesting about the bows and the waterdepth on Trout lake. I was up there on Monday of this week. There was about 10-15 guys in the northern, almost central part of the lake in about 40-50 FOW. I just didn't see to many flags going up ???
No you got we wonder if I should even bother with Long of shaver this weekend..decisions,decisions :-\

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:52 PM »
When I fished trout lake, I did very well on big perch...so if you go up there, you  could put up some tip ups for trout, and jig for perch.

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:51 PM »
I haven't fished them enough to really have a feeling for them. If I'm after trout, Queechy's my place to be. If I'm going north, then Brant Lake gets my business. Just personal prefrences, mostly based on how well I've done in the past. Need to expand my horizons some day.

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2006, 04:32 AM »
I am interested at attempting Shaver or Second pond soon, but out of all the times I have ice fished there, ONE trout!  I am beginning to think those ponds are only active with trout in the spring.

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Has anyone ever fished Dyken Pond, and had any luck with the Walleyes there? I fished it once last year and did pretty well on perch and Pickerel. Never even saw an eye come out of that water, hard or soft water.
fzgil; Dyken pond does receive yearly plantings of eyes courtesy of NY state,but fisherman success rates are low,and even you are lucky enough to catch one,they are just short of their 18'' size limit.I have fished there the past five years and have noticed the size of the fish[perch especially] are  getting smaller and smaller.As for the walleyes I have never caught one.I've been told that the north end [actually called south long pond]is where you can find the walleyes.All in all Dyken is great for action,and a good place to take your kids ,but it lacks in quality fish.
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:45 AM »
Smaller perch and some good sized pickerel have been fun in the past. I am sure I'll be out there at least once this season due to a good freind living across the street from it. Always hoping to tie into an eye if they are present.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.