New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Fishing on Saratoga Lake  (Read 1795 times)

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing on Saratoga Lake
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:32 PM »
Thought I'd post my rather unsuccessful results on this board.  Went on Saturday and did not have a hit on my jigging rod however caught a small pike and one really good bass.  Was using ice-cycles minnows and was jigging with a rapala. 

One question for you guys - does anyone know where i can buy a used auger for reasonable price.  I would like one that drills at least 8'' holes.  Currently I have been going with a buddy who has one and I really don't like to depend on him.  I am also looking for a reasonable shanty but again I am not made of gold and really can't afford these all at once.  Any help would be appreciated!!!

Also any advise for techniqueson Saratoga lake would help too!!!

Maybe I should switch to flatheads for my bait on the tipups??  Thoughts???

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
Re: Ice Fishing on Saratoga Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Try ebay for the used items. If you keep an eye out for stuff you can find some real good buys.

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:52 PM »
hrlevi1 - check your PM box, I dropped you a PM.  ;D

Plz, reply to the PM only,  ;) that way the info doesn't become public,  ;) if you know what I mean.

We don't need to piss off anyone in there.  :whistle:

Oh yea, welcome to the Shanty  :clap: and the world of diehard icefishermen.  :flex:

Offline rayban

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:12 AM »
If your looking at a hand auger for general ice fishing you might want to consider a six inch auger.  This size is the most popular and easiest to use.  The bigger hole can be nice for pike only but it is almost twice as hard to cut - especially when the ice gets thicker.  If you buy a new or used auger spring for a Strikeking Lazer or Normark Finbore, the Strikeking Mora (the blue augers) are the cheepest and harder to cut with, especially the larger you go.  The other two have a far superior blade system that is like cutting through butter.  If you go used you might have to spring for new blades and those aren't cheep either so you'd be better shopping around and finding out all of the costs first.  E-bay can be great but with shipping and not actually seeing the product it might also cost you.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:26 AM »
i seen a complete set-up for ice in the Want-Ad digest a few weeks ago.
auger,shanty, tip-ups and lots of extras for $250.00
as far as cheep auger, the mora(blue) by strikemaster is around $45.00, i would recommend the Lazer around($70.00) but the mora will work fine for 1' or less ice just keep the blades sharp.

Offline Gas_Auger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:10 AM »
wantaddigest.com had some under hunting and fishing

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:28 AM »
Check your PM.  Welcome aboard!!!!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Guys....he won't recieve a PM until he has at least 5 posts...

-Zach

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Guys....he won't recieve a PM until he has at least 5 posts...

-Zach
that sux, I guess he better start posting, so you can get some info there bud.  ;)

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:28 PM »
WOW Guys what a great response.  Thank you so much for you willingness to help.  I do have a few questions that maybe you all know and I just cant figure out. 

What is the best live bait for walleye's?  Are they more of a early morning or late afternoon / evening fish? 
Other than Saratoga lake are there any other lakes that have reasonable numbers of walleye?
Are there any lakes in the Adironacks that have good populations of walleye but are hard to get to?  I have not problem schleping in my equipment...

What are some of the favorite baits (artifical) for walleyes?  I have been using swedish pimples and rapalas to no avail? 

Really any advise you are willing to offer is good by me.

Thanks in advance!!! 

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:41 PM »
What is the best live bait for walleye's? 
Are they more of a early morning or late afternoon / evening fish? 
Other than Saratoga lake are there any other lakes that have reasonable numbers of walleye?
Are there any lakes in the Adironacks that have good populations of walleye but are hard to get to? 
medium shiners and small suckers are what I've got eyes on in Saratoga under tipups.
I think the evening and into the night time is the best for the eyes on Toga.
And the Great Sacandaga Res. have by far the most eyes within an hour of Saratoga. But a very hard lake to pattern on the ice.

Start posting, so that you have atleast 5 posts, so that you can start receiving PM's.  :)

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:26 PM »
Keep posting thatr way you'll be able to recieve pm's!~
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.