New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: quick striking rigs  (Read 818 times)

Offline champlainmonster

• IceShanty Rookie
quick striking rigs
« on: Dec 31, 2005, 03:28 PM »
does anybody use quick striking rigs on their tipups? what types of line/hook combos does everybody use?thanks for the info
[*IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/wt_cba_08/Fishing/2-18-08001b-2.jpg[/IMG*]

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: quick striking rigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2005, 03:59 PM »
I RUN MOST OF MY LAKER TRAPS WITH QUICK STRIKE RIGS BECAUSE YOU HOOK THEM IN THE MOUTH AND ITS EASY TO RELEASE THEM IF YOU WANT. HOOKED IN THE GUT AND THEY USUALLY DIE. NOT GOOD. I USE A 10 POUND, 10 FOOT LEADER FROM A 30 POUND DACRON WITH A BARREL SWIVEL. FOR THE RIG I USE TWO SMALL TREBELS OR ONE TREBLE AND ONE SINGLE HOOK. TREBELS ARE SIZE 4 AND SINGLE HOOK IS SIZE 4 OR 2 DEPENDING ON SIZE OF BAIT. THEY ARE SPACED ABOUT 2.5 INCHES APART. WHEN I GET TO THE FLAG AND THE REEL IS SPINNING I JUST GRAB THE LINE AND SET THE HOOK. WORKS FOR ME.EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN WAY OF DOING IT. HAVE A BALL EXPERIMENTING. GOOD LUCK.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:48 AM »
I run with a 2/0 treble hook during most of the season, coupled with a 12 inch steel leader tied to the (what the old timers called) squid line, about 45-50 pound test.  I use a small split shot or two clamped above the leader about 6-12 inches depending on how large a circle I want my minnows to be making in the water.

I tried quick strikes a few years ago when they first came out and actually watched my catch rate decrease, in my mind there was something about that piece of wire running down the minnows back that I thought the pike would feel and he dropped the bait a lot of times.  Maybe it was just me.  I know for almost 40 years now I've been using the single treble hook method hooking the minnow in front of his fin, then waiting for the 2nd run and have always had success.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Love em to death, use the smallest hooks that fit your bait.
Bang em on the first run and hang on!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.